04 1500 E Brake replacment How to, Any tips for replacing the cables. - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Running Gear | Brakes, Wheels and Tires

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Redtruck-VA
  • 2 Post By NewBlue
  • 1 Post By NewBlue

Old 08-03-2019, 09:31 AM   #1

04 1500 E Brake replacment How to, Any tips for replacing the cables.

Hi, I am going to be replacing the cables on my 04 1500 4WD, I want to rplace from inside the cab back so all of the cables.
Any Tips?
How do I adjust the cables when I am done?
What about the shoes?

Thanks

2004 SLT Hemi Black Quad Cab 4WD. SRT-10 Hood, 06 20 Inch Rims SC F5 Tuner, S&B CAI, Power Stop Drilled Slotted tow Package brake kit, Braided Brake Lines, Bilstein Shocks, Helwig Rear Sway Bar and G2 Axle Rear Cover, Detroit Tru Trac rear Diff,Smoked LED Tail Lights, Tinted Windows, All Amsoil Fluid except Torco In rear Diff.
Joe.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2019, 01:16 PM   #2

When I went through this problem; I also replaced everything from the cab back to the calipers. While you're doing this, you might as well change out the parking brake shoes.

The hardest part was connecting the cables together. There is enough adjustment slack to do so, but you'll be cussin' the Maker for it. Adjust until they function correctly (hold the truck while idling in gear was my test). Parking brake had a good solid feel when I was done; and checks during brake/rotor replacement show everything was in good order.

When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe!

I view Nitrous like that hot chick with an STD; you want to hit it, but you're afraid of the consequences....
OldBaldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:22 PM   #3

The adjustments are in the rear at the shoes, The adjustment on the cable by the cab is just to take slack out of the line? Shoes are new already.
2004 SLT Hemi Black Quad Cab 4WD. SRT-10 Hood, 06 20 Inch Rims SC F5 Tuner, S&B CAI, Power Stop Drilled Slotted tow Package brake kit, Braided Brake Lines, Bilstein Shocks, Helwig Rear Sway Bar and G2 Axle Rear Cover, Detroit Tru Trac rear Diff,Smoked LED Tail Lights, Tinted Windows, All Amsoil Fluid except Torco In rear Diff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2019, 05:09 AM   #4

Yeah, the slack in the cables where they come together is what I was talking about, as the shoes are self adjusting.

But adjusting that slack in the cables to get a good feel, was a bit of a pain for a 6+ decade old body. Crawl under the truck, crank out some slack, check the parking brake; rinse and repeat.

Oy, me bones!

When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe!

I view Nitrous like that hot chick with an STD; you want to hit it, but you're afraid of the consequences....
OldBaldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:08 AM   #5
Greg

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBaldie View Post
Yeah, the slack in the cables where they come together is what I was talking about, as the shoes are self adjusting.

But adjusting that slack in the cables to get a good feel, was a bit of a pain for a 6+ decade old body. Crawl under the truck, crank out some slack, check the parking brake; rinse and repeat.

Oy, me bones!
I installed the Wilwood small diameter brakes with the hidden ebrake it was the same deal. Adjust and check...repeat until it felt right. The conversion was actually pretty straightforward. It's just when you are older it takes longer.... a lot longer..
CavRam and Joe.G like this.

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:41 PM   #6

if you need PN 52113642AB on that 2004 I've got one you can have. Not too expensive but I don't need it.

like this
kcd1369 and Redtruck-VA like this.

MSD 8.5 Super Conductor wires, Airaid CAI, Superchips 3865,
Homebrew E-fan, Custom 2.5" Dual Exhaust with merge Y & 22"
Magnaflow SIDO, Sonnax pressure booster, Stant 190 stat, Fastman TB
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Blue: 1988 W100 4X4 Standard Cab Longbox 318 188,000 miles
==================================================
NewBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:28 AM   #7

New Blue Mine is in bad shape, This is the part that is by the cab underneath correct? My truck is super clean but this part is not. How would we work this out? Thank you
Old 08-16-2019, 04:25 PM   #8

Joe- Yes it is under the drivers side, I think it connects the cable from the pedal to the cables that go back to the rear wheels. Is this the part number for a 2004? Mine was a 2005 regular cab 4x4.
You can have it, so how about you send me whatever postage will be. Paypal OK? PM me your address and I can mail it and let you know how much.
Redtruck-VA likes this.

MSD 8.5 Super Conductor wires, Airaid CAI, Superchips 3865,
Homebrew E-fan, Custom 2.5" Dual Exhaust with merge Y & 22"
Magnaflow SIDO, Sonnax pressure booster, Stant 190 stat, Fastman TB
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Blue: 1988 W100 4X4 Standard Cab Longbox 318 188,000 miles
==================================================
NewBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:11 PM   #9

https://www.factorychryslerparts.com...2113642AB.html

Says Its the right one. Ill PM you Thanks.