Hemi Truck Club banner

04 1500 E Brake replacment How to, Any tips for replacing the cables.

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Joe.G 
#1 ·
Hi, I am going to be replacing the cables on my 04 1500 4WD, I want to rplace from inside the cab back so all of the cables.
Any Tips?
How do I adjust the cables when I am done?
What about the shoes?

Thanks

#2 ·
When I went through this problem; I also replaced everything from the cab back to the calipers. While you're doing this, you might as well change out the parking brake shoes.

The hardest part was connecting the cables together. There is enough adjustment slack to do so, but you'll be cussin' the Maker for it. Adjust until they function correctly (hold the truck while idling in gear was my test). Parking brake had a good solid feel when I was done; and checks during brake/rotor replacement show everything was in good order.

#3 ·
The adjustments are in the rear at the shoes, The adjustment on the cable by the cab is just to take slack out of the line? Shoes are new already.

#4 ·
Yeah, the slack in the cables where they come together is what I was talking about, as the shoes are self adjusting.

But adjusting that slack in the cables to get a good feel, was a bit of a pain for a 6+ decade old body. Crawl under the truck, crank out some slack, check the parking brake; rinse and repeat.

Oy, me bones! :OldFolks:

#5 ·
I installed the Wilwood small diameter brakes with the hidden ebrake it was the same deal. Adjust and check...repeat until it felt right. The conversion was actually pretty straightforward. It's just when you are older it takes longer.... a lot longer..

Reactions: Joe.G and CavRam
#6 ·
if you need PN 52113642AB on that 2004 I've got one you can have. Not too expensive but I don't need it.

like this

#7 ·
New Blue Mine is in bad shape, This is the part that is by the cab underneath correct? My truck is super clean but this part is not. How would we work this out? Thank you

#8 ·
Joe- Yes it is under the drivers side, I think it connects the cable from the pedal to the cables that go back to the rear wheels. Is this the part number for a 2004? Mine was a 2005 regular cab 4x4.
You can have it, so how about you send me whatever postage will be. Paypal OK? PM me your address and I can mail it and let you know how much.

Reactions: Redtruck-VA
#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.