Only young guns need apply..WTF????? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | At The Track > NASCAR, Motor Sports and Pro-Racing

Old 05-02-2008, 10:18 AM   #1

Only young guns need apply..WTF?????

Okay fellers…full disclosure…
I’m a NASCAR fan…by default…it was learn to love it or be left behind by the fellars in my life.
So I’m not gonna try and talk the sport…..but I would like some input on the notion……the sport is for “Yungins”……..

This topic came up a while back amongst me and a couple of buddies.

One of the guys is in his mid 20’s…the other is 35……both say that after 45ish….the drives should call it DONE………because reaction time is slower after 45ish….

I’m ready to skin both of them…but before I pull out my giggin knife….
Anyone think there’s any truth to such statements?
GGH

Girl Gotta Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2008, 02:10 PM   #2

I would have to say there is some truth to the statement, but that does not go for everyone. Look at Labonte, still winning in the truck series at least, Mark Martin still one hell of a driver. But then you have Kyle Petty......... average track speed of 34.2MPH
Mullethunter91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:52 PM   #3

I have always liked Kyle P. but he has always just been a so so driver. As long as they can stay in shape they can drive just as good. You don't see the 40 and up doing as many stupid things as much as the " Yungins"
HEMI 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2008, 08:47 AM   #4

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HEMI 07:
You don't see the 40 and up doing as many stupid things as much as the " Yungins"
There’s a lot of truth in that statement.
Tho I wonder….
Older and wiser…or just a different mindset?
Lords knows some of the "old timers" can tell good stories of wicked assed bare knuckle brawls that took place right on the track...over the years.

This sport is one of the very few that has no “half time/time outs” for the competitors to catch a breath and regroup.
Even a yellow flag isn’t a time to slow down….the speed may drop…but everything else stays the same.

I’d think this is more an issue of “endurance ability” then it is age.

That and keeping calm.....and collected...when what you want to do is get out of the car....rip another drivers head off..and sh!t down his throat.
GGH
Old 05-05-2008, 02:51 PM   #5

My family hasnt missed a race (two per year)here at Martinsville VA since we moved here in NC. 2002. We didnt go to the Spring race, and arent going to the Fall race. We talked it over, and we decided to go to Myrtle Beach for the weekend instead. After seeing how much these spoiled little brats make, for all they do, we decided we work too hard to give it to them. Just our opinion. Too much drama and whining for my taste. I think watching some of the local boys on the smaller tracks might be in the future for us. I still root for the Dodge boys, just not in person.
HEMI-LAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:17 PM   #6
Board of Directors (Jay)

Quote:
quote:I have always liked Kyle P.
He has a house here at IOP.
Superjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:00 PM   #7

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Superjay:
Quote:
quote:I have always liked Kyle P.
He has a house here at IOP.
Kyle's a class act I just don't think he has that, hold the go foot down like the King did.
HEMI 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:53 AM   #8

I've been trying to find some info on how old the average driver was back in the 50's-60's-70's....Seems a good portion were all in their mid 30's before they "hit it big" so to speak.... and were still driving as late as age 56ish.

SO..this has me wondering...if it is more the "kuh-mur-shul-lization" of the sport in the last ten years....that might be giving way to the mind set of "younger is better".

I read or heard somewhere a while back...it would cost a family of four....almost $3,000.00 to attend a race....
Good Lord.....
I'd rather have the cash in the bank and be sitting in front of my TV......to watch the race.
GGH
Old 05-10-2008, 12:06 PM   #9

Hi GGH...My take on this age thing is this.When you boil it down,its all about money.Sponsorship is king.The big corporations want to invest thier $$$ in a young driver that they can grow with.Backed up by the fact that NASCAR is attracting younger and younger fans, who can relate alot better with these new yungins.A new fan @ 12 yrs old, has no idea who DJ or Labonte or Martin is.Sad, but I think true.
Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:53 PM   #10

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Girl Gotta Hemi:
but I would like some input on the notion……the sport is for “Yungins”…….

I’m ready to skin both of them…but before I pull out my giggin knife….
Anyone think there’s any truth to such statements?
GGH
That’s my girl. She won’t be happy until she finds the “rule book” that say’s there is a certain age where you have to stop having fun and start acting old. If she ever finds it, be expecting a huge bonfire and party to be held as the fire rages.
DGH
Dude Gotta Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote