Coughlin Unveils New Hemi Pro Stock Mopar - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | At The Track > NASCAR, Motor Sports and Pro-Racing

Old 11-01-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
Board of Directors

Garage
Jeg Coughlin will be driving a new Hemi Pro Stock in 2012.
Quote:
Jeg Coughlin Jr. just couldn’t stay away.

The five-time drag racing series champion, who won four series championships as a Pro Stock driver, announced today his plans to run a Dodge Avenger squelching rumors of a possible return with Chevrolet. The announcement came during the Specialty Equipment Market Association [SEMA] event in Las Vegas.

“There were a couple of reasons which inspired me to come back,” Coughlin said. “In putting together a relationship and business together with Nick Ferri and Roy Simmons [JNB Racing], and I think it’s going to be an outstanding business for us and provides an excellent opportunity for me to race a car out of that shop. The association with Mopar and Dodge is exciting too. The excitement and drive within this group is second to none and we haven’t hit the track yet.”

The announcement marks a return to the Pro Stock class by Coughlin after a one-year hiatus. It’s also a return to the Mopar fold for the 40-year-old Delaware, Ohio native, who has a long history with the brand. Jeg Jr. captured the 2004 U.S. Nationals Mopar HEMI® Challenge event win driving a 1968 Plymouth Barracuda, raced a Mopar HEMI-powered Dodge Pro Stock car during the 2005 NHRA season and currently owns and occasionally competes in Sportsman events in a Mopar Challenger Drag Pak.

Coughlin admitted when he left the Pro Stock division at the end of 2010 he wasn't sure when or if he’d return again.

“I really honestly didn’t know,” Coughlin admitted. “I am really, honestly content in my life and where I am right now, and where I am with the sport. It’s a sport you can enjoy your entire life. The good Lord’s willing I will race something until they say I’m done.”

Next season Coughlin will climb behind the wheel of a Dodge Avenger adorned in the traditional Jegs Mail Order yellow and black livery but with Mopar blue noticeably present.

Sources close to the situation confirmed Coughlin had originally planned his return in a 2012 Chevrolet Camaro but a growing relationship with Mopar and the aforementioned enthusiasm inspired him to reconsider his decision.

“I’ve had a relationship with [Mopar Motorsports Director] Dale Aldo for many years now and he helped me quite a bit with our Drag Pak program,” said Coughlin. “I’ve driven Super Stock Hemis over the years and drove a Mopar with Don Schumacher. The Camaro would have been a logical path. Over the winter, Dale and I talked to Pro Stock.

“I had offers to come drive. I had teams that wanted me to help fund a team and drive it. The more we talked with the people at Mopar the more realized the potential available with going this route.”

Coughlin joins Allen Johnson as an officially factory-sponsored driver. The newly-formed JNR Racing, Coughlin’s in-house engine shop, will supply the horsepower for the team.

Pietro Gorlier, President and CEO of Mopar, Chrysler Group’s service, parts and customer-care brand, believes signing Coughlin to an exclusive multi-year contract was a major free agent acquisition.

“His track record speaks for itself,” Gorlier said f Coughlin. “He is a champion and we’ve been working with him for a year as part of our Drag Pak Challenger Stock program. He is a perfect fit for our program.”

A big factor in the Coughlin signing was Aldo.

“I have a tremendous amount of respect for Jeg Coughlin and Mopar, and just felt the perfect fit would be to put them both together,” Coughlin said. “I was thrilled that we were able to seal this deal.”

Gorlier said the Coughlin and Johnson teams will work as two separate teams serving the Mopar brand. The two teams working together will be a natural extension of the company which supported drag racing through the lean financial times of the auto manufacturing crisis of the last decade.

“I think what we are always trying to do is have a close relationship with the teams and drivers,” said Gorlier. “The team we have here eat, sleep and drink NHRA every minute of their life.”

Coughlin admittedly is ready to show his allegiance to the brand and just because they are a new start-up team, they are far from being considered rookies.

“This might be cleanest starts we’ve had since I started racing Pro Stock,” Coughlin said. “We’ve literally started with nothing. No transporter … not one tool. No engine. No car. I mean nothing. The opportunity to start with 100-percent equipment and 100-percent fresh minds I think will be a benefit to us right now.”
http://www.competitionplus.com...-new-pro-stock-mopar

'05 RCSB 1500 SLT 5.7 Hemi Ram - Airaid Long Snorkel UBI CAI - Taylor shorty wires - MSD Coil Packs – Magnaflow y-pipe - Flowmaster 50HD - Superchips 3865 - Motive 4.56 gears - Detroit Truetrac - PML differential cover – some good Karma 8.87 ET
HemiByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
Board of Directors

Garage
Jeg Coughlin will be driving a new Hemi Pro Stock in 2012.
Quote:
Jeg Coughlin Jr. just couldn’t stay away.

The five-time drag racing series champion, who won four series championships as a Pro Stock driver, announced today his plans to run a Dodge Avenger squelching rumors of a possible return with Chevrolet. The announcement came during the Specialty Equipment Market Association [SEMA] event in Las Vegas.

“There were a couple of reasons which inspired me to come back,” Coughlin said. “In putting together a relationship and business together with Nick Ferri and Roy Simmons [JNB Racing], and I think it’s going to be an outstanding business for us and provides an excellent opportunity for me to race a car out of that shop. The association with Mopar and Dodge is exciting too. The excitement and drive within this group is second to none and we haven’t hit the track yet.”

The announcement marks a return to the Pro Stock class by Coughlin after a one-year hiatus. It’s also a return to the Mopar fold for the 40-year-old Delaware, Ohio native, who has a long history with the brand. Jeg Jr. captured the 2004 U.S. Nationals Mopar HEMI® Challenge event win driving a 1968 Plymouth Barracuda, raced a Mopar HEMI-powered Dodge Pro Stock car during the 2005 NHRA season and currently owns and occasionally competes in Sportsman events in a Mopar Challenger Drag Pak.

Coughlin admitted when he left the Pro Stock division at the end of 2010 he wasn't sure when or if he’d return again.

“I really honestly didn’t know,” Coughlin admitted. “I am really, honestly content in my life and where I am right now, and where I am with the sport. It’s a sport you can enjoy your entire life. The good Lord’s willing I will race something until they say I’m done.”

Next season Coughlin will climb behind the wheel of a Dodge Avenger adorned in the traditional Jegs Mail Order yellow and black livery but with Mopar blue noticeably present.

Sources close to the situation confirmed Coughlin had originally planned his return in a 2012 Chevrolet Camaro but a growing relationship with Mopar and the aforementioned enthusiasm inspired him to reconsider his decision.

“I’ve had a relationship with [Mopar Motorsports Director] Dale Aldo for many years now and he helped me quite a bit with our Drag Pak program,” said Coughlin. “I’ve driven Super Stock Hemis over the years and drove a Mopar with Don Schumacher. The Camaro would have been a logical path. Over the winter, Dale and I talked to Pro Stock.

“I had offers to come drive. I had teams that wanted me to help fund a team and drive it. The more we talked with the people at Mopar the more realized the potential available with going this route.”

Coughlin joins Allen Johnson as an officially factory-sponsored driver. The newly-formed JNR Racing, Coughlin’s in-house engine shop, will supply the horsepower for the team.

Pietro Gorlier, President and CEO of Mopar, Chrysler Group’s service, parts and customer-care brand, believes signing Coughlin to an exclusive multi-year contract was a major free agent acquisition.

“His track record speaks for itself,” Gorlier said f Coughlin. “He is a champion and we’ve been working with him for a year as part of our Drag Pak Challenger Stock program. He is a perfect fit for our program.”

A big factor in the Coughlin signing was Aldo.

“I have a tremendous amount of respect for Jeg Coughlin and Mopar, and just felt the perfect fit would be to put them both together,” Coughlin said. “I was thrilled that we were able to seal this deal.”

Gorlier said the Coughlin and Johnson teams will work as two separate teams serving the Mopar brand. The two teams working together will be a natural extension of the company which supported drag racing through the lean financial times of the auto manufacturing crisis of the last decade.

“I think what we are always trying to do is have a close relationship with the teams and drivers,” said Gorlier. “The team we have here eat, sleep and drink NHRA every minute of their life.”

Coughlin admittedly is ready to show his allegiance to the brand and just because they are a new start-up team, they are far from being considered rookies.

“This might be cleanest starts we’ve had since I started racing Pro Stock,” Coughlin said. “We’ve literally started with nothing. No transporter … not one tool. No engine. No car. I mean nothing. The opportunity to start with 100-percent equipment and 100-percent fresh minds I think will be a benefit to us right now.”
http://www.competitionplus.com...-new-pro-stock-mopar

'05 RCSB 1500 SLT 5.7 Hemi Ram - Airaid Long Snorkel UBI CAI - Taylor shorty wires - MSD Coil Packs – Magnaflow y-pipe - Flowmaster 50HD - Superchips 3865 - Motive 4.56 gears - Detroit Truetrac - PML differential cover – some good Karma 8.87 ET
Old 11-02-2011, 06:00 AM   #3
Board of Directors (Jay)

2003, Std. SWB, SLT, 20", 4:56 gear, AFE CAI, Superchip, 6.1 cam, 6.1 heads, Manley springs, retainers, pushrods, Edelbrock Hedders, 195 T-Stat, 8.2 Taylor, AEM, Power Wire, ARC-1,Amsoil Everything, and more. Veni Vidi Vici

HTC.com Titan Killer Club

Member # 17

Superjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 07:17 AM   #4
Board of Directors

Garage
More info from NHRA.
Quote:
Four-time NHRA Pro Stock champ Coughlin to return with new Mopar
Tuesday, November 01, 2011

At a press conference Tuesday at the 2011 SEMA Show in Las Vegas, Mopar revealed that four-time NHRA Pro Stock champion Jeg Coughlin Jr. will join the Team Mopar roster in 2012, campaigning a new Mopar/JEGS.com Dodge Avenger in the NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series Pro Stock class.

“Jeg Jr. is a proven winner, with four Pro Stock championships on his résumé,” said Pietro Gorlier, president and CEO of Mopar, Chrysler Group’s service, parts, and customer-care brand. “We are thrilled to add an elite driver to Team Mopar, and we look forward to sharing in his great success at the dragstrip next season.”

“I’m extremely excited to join forces with Mopar in 2012,” said Coughlin, the only racer in NHRA history to win a national event in six classes. “The entire Coughlin Brothers Racing team has high expectations for the 2012 season, and we expect to field a premier program with our Mopar/JEGS.com Dodge Avenger team, from top to bottom.”

Coughlin will join veteran racer Allen Johnson as the only two drivers in the Pro Stock class directly sponsored by Mopar.

“Adding Jeg Jr. to the Team Mopar roster is a great addition for the brand,” said Johnson, driver of the Mopar Dodge Avenger. “This puts at least two very strong Mopar cars in the Pro Stock field next year, and I think it gives the brand an excellent chance of seeing a Mopar-powered driver bring home the Pro Stock championship in 2012.”

“Allen Johnson and his father, Roy Johnson, have a long history with Mopar and have built a highly respected program with their J&J Racing team,” said Coughlin. “Between our two teams, I think you’re going to see a Mopar Dodge in the winner’s circle at many NHRA events next year.

“When we pull through the gates at Pomona for the NHRA Winternationals [the 2012 season-opening event] with the lofty goals we’ve set for ourselves, we expect to have a car that can qualify on the pole and win on Sunday. I believe the Mopar/JEGS.com Dodge will be able to fire some shots off the bow immediately.”

The announcement marks a return to the Pro Stock class by Coughlin after a one-year hiatus. It’s also a return to the Mopar fold for the 40-year-old Delaware, Ohio, native, who has a long history with the brand. He captured the 2004 Mopar Hemi Challenge event win at the Mac Tools U.S. Nationals presented by Lucas Oil driving a '68 Plymouth Barracuda, raced a Mopar Hemi-powered Dodge Pro Stock car during the 2005 NHRA season, and owns and occasionally competes in Sportsman events in a Mopar Challenger Drag Pak.
View bigger

“I have a number of firsts involving Mopar,” said Coughlin. “My first car was a 1983 Dodge Charger. One of my first jobs as a teenager at our JEGS business was to organize the warehouse and create space for a brand that was expanding its parts line — the Mopar Direct Connection brand.

“The passion I’ve witnessed in the folks I’ve dealt with at Mopar and Chrysler Group is second to none. Their enthusiasm and excitement is a big reason this program came together, and that passion is something that will fuel our team next year.”

The Coughlins will go in-house to crank out the Mopar Hemi engines needed to power his Pro Stock cars, utilizing his new JNR Racing engine shop in Mooresville, N.C., to supply a steady stream of Mopar Hemis.

Coughlin and his family announced their new engine shop venture with partners Nick Ferri and Roy Simmons earlier this year. The duo teamed with Coughlin on his engine program in the early 2000s, and the group has combined to earn multiple Pro Stock championships since 2002.

“We’re really excited to join back up with Nick and Roy,” said Coughlin, who will act as both team owner and driver for his Mopar/JEGS.com Dodge. “Coupled with our new relationships with Mopar and Chrysler Group engineers, I think we’re really going to see some great noise out of our Mopar Hemis.

The new team will be headquartered out of the Coughlin Brothers Racing shop in Delaware. The Mopar/JEGS.com Dodge squad will enjoy plenty of family support, with Coughlin working closely with his brothers and fellow team owners John, Troy, and Mike Coughlin. Coughlin’s father, Jeg Sr., will act as a team adviser for both the engine shop and at-track operation. To tune the Mopar/JEGS.com Dodge Avenger, which will run under a Haas chassis, Coughlin turned to Finland native Tomi Laine, a renowned European Pro Stock champion who has worked with a number of NHRA Pro Stock teams.

“I think Tomi will do a great job with us, and my dad, my brothers, and I have been extremely successful together,” said Coughlin. “Mopar Dodge Avenger driver Allen Johnson is also competing with a Haas chassis, so it seemed wise to choose a similar car to maximize the sharing of data obtained from aerodynamic and technological tests. I’m very comfortable with the way things are lining up with the Mopar/JEGS.com team.”

The new alliance between Mopar and Coughlin will also extend to the JEGS family business, founded by Jeg Sr. in 1960. Mopar and JEGS, both leaders in the performance-parts arena, will look to grow their relationship in aftermarket-parts sales.

“The JEGS name is a respected source for performance parts,” said Gorlier. “We look forward to taking advantage of the many avenues in which the JEGS brand can help us provide Mopar parts to our customers, including through JEGS retail stores, the brand’s mail-order program, and JEGS online website."

“We’re excited not only to be associated with the Mopar brand on the dragstrip, but also to help extend the Mopar brand to the hundreds of thousands of JEGS customers and service those customers with the Mopar brand of parts that they need,” said Coughlin.

Mopar also announced that the brand will expand its longstanding relationship with Don Schumacher Racing and its sponsorship of Dodge Charger R/T Funny Car driver Matt Hagan. Mopar, along with partners Pennzoil and Magneti Marelli, will increase its presence on Hagan’s car for the entire 2012 NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series.

Hagan raced with a special Mopar graphics scheme on his Dodge Charger R/T Funny Car this season at the Mopar Mile-High NHRA Nationals, qualifying third and making it to the final of the event. He also carried the Mopar colors at the Mac Tools U.S. Nationals presented by Lucas Oil in Indianapolis, where he reached the semifinals.

“Matt Hagan is one of the best young talents on the NHRA circuit and has been a great brand ambassador for Mopar,” said Gorlier. “Mopar has enjoyed a long and successful relationship with Don Schumacher Racing, one of the elite organizations in motorsports, and we are happy to increase our sponsorship on Matt Hagan’s Dodge and welcome partners Pennzoil and Magneti Marelli in support as well.”

Q & A with Pietro Gorlier, president and CEO of Mopar, Chrysler Group LLC’s Service, Parts and Customer-Care Brand

Q: What led to the decision to bring Jeg Coughlin Jr. onboard with Team Mopar?
A: Mopar is committed to NHRA Drag Racing, and we have been looking to step up our involvement for some time. When the opportunity to team up with Jeg and the JEGS brand presented itself, it was the perfect match. Jeg is a champion in every sense of the word, and we are thrilled to welcome him to the Mopar family and look forward to him competing for wins and the championship in 2012.

Q: How thrilling is it to have a driver with such a winning track record as Jeg Coughlin Jr. join the Mopar roster?
A: It’s amazing. Jeg’s accomplishments are many: four Pro Stock championships, five NHRA world championships, the only driver to score national event wins in six different NHRA classes, 52 career Pro Stock wins — the list goes on. When you can join forces with a driver of that caliber, it’s a very exciting feeling.

Q: Does the addition of Jeg Coughlin Jr. affect Allen Johnson’s Mopar sponsorship?
A: Absolutely not. Allen Johnson has been with Mopar for a long time, and we look forward to continuing to work with him for many years to come. Allen has an unmatched passion for Pro Stock racing and for Mopar. Allen is a great ambassador for the sport and for the brand, as he relates very well to all of the loyal Mopar race fans and enthusiasts.

Q: Did Jeg Coughlin Jr.’s history driving a Mopar Pro Stock and Drag Pak help in making the decision to bring him on?
A: Jeg definitely has been successful in the past behind the wheel of Mopar-powered vehicles. He has such a strong and diverse background in the sport, including winning the 2004 Mopar Hemi Challenge at the U.S. Nationals. He drove a Mopar-powered Dodge Pro Stock car in 2005, earning one win, and Jeg has recently been campaigning a Mopar Challenger Drag Pak in the NHRA Sportsman ranks. He understands the Mopar brand and will represent it well.

Q: How would you rate the 2011 season for Mopar in Pro Stock?
A: It’s been a strong season. Allen Johnson has been one of the fastest drivers all year in his Mopar Dodge Avenger and has been to three final rounds, winning once, while Vincent Nobile has won three times in five final rounds in a Mopar-powered Dodge. We’ve had two all-Mopar finals, with Allen winning one and Vincent winning one. We look forward to having many more all-Mopar finals next season with Jeg onboard.

Q: Is Mopar going to expand its drag racing sponsorship further?
A: At this time, we are happy where we are, with welcoming Jeg Coughlin to Team Mopar, in addition to our long-standing relationship with Allen Johnson. We are always evaluating our options and looking toward the future, as we aim to compete for wins and championships for many years to come.

Q: Will Mopar continue to have a large presence in Sportsman drag racing?
A: Grassroots racers are the foundation of drag racing and the reason why Mopar is involved in NHRA. These drivers spend a great deal of time and money preparing their Mopar-powered race cars for battle and purchase many Mopar parts from their local Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, or Ram dealerships. They have a passion for the Mopar brand that reflects positively throughout the drag racing world. We support them through our long-running Mopar Contingency Program, where we reward racers who compete and win with Mopar parts. We look forward to continuing to support these passionate Mopar racers for many years to come.

Q: What makes Mopar so iconic at the track and on the street?
A: The Mopar brand maintains a rich tradition and has a dedicated following that is second to none while fostering growth and promoting innovation by remaining on the cutting edge of the automotive world. The Mopar logo embodies a way of life for racers and enthusiasts alike around the world. For many, allegiance to the Mopar brand is part of their identity and DNA. It’s a lifestyle that is passed on from generation to generation. Mopar has been a trusted source for racers and enthusiasts for decades and remains so today.

Q: What are Mopar’s goals for the 2012 Pro Stock season?
A: For Mopar, the goal is always the same, and that is to contend for wins and the championship. With the solid teams that Allen and Jeg have in place, along with the resources and personnel that they have, it should be a great season. They’ll have plenty of power with Mopar Hemi engines under the hoods of their Dodge Avengers. We are looking forward to wrapping up 2011 on a strong note at Pomona and then heading back there in February to start 2012 up front.
http://www.nhra.com/story/2011...turn-with-new-mopar/
Old 11-05-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
"Bob"

Garage
Old 11-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #6

I'm glad to see Jeg jr. return in a Mopar

Hemi Registry #212, Inferno Red, Debadged, Painted pinstripes, Vertical Billet grill, Fire & ice lightbar, sunvisor, cab length side steps, X-tang tonneau cover

megahemi06 is offline   Reply With Quote