Vibration!! - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Suspension, sway bars, lowering and lift

Old 05-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
Greg

Garage
The story goes like this. I have a vibration felt in the body, not the steering wheel. Feels exactly like a rear wheel out of balance. With recently installing a new pair of rims in the rear the conclusion and focus was that I have a bad rim. The shop and I have tried different combinations of tires and rims and the vibration is still there to different degrees. Right now using a rim from my DR's it is smooth running until 60 then it gets rough. The vibration also seems to be changing some as I'm also now feeling a driveline clunk. No other noise just some slack. I put the truck in the air and rock'd the wheel back and forth and the U joints appear tight. No leaks from any seals. The slack looks to me is in the rearend and it is a little more than what I would call normal. The differential is a DTT/4:10 OEM gear.
Obviously I'll pull the cover and inspect the diff. My question is has anyone had anything like this happen to them? This has occurred since running at the track recently. I was thinking there should be some noise associated with a rearend failure, but all is still quiet. Inputs appreciated.
Thanks,

1956 Jeep Pickup Hemi powered "Street Rod project"

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
Greg

Garage
The story goes like this. I have a vibration felt in the body, not the steering wheel. Feels exactly like a rear wheel out of balance. With recently installing a new pair of rims in the rear the conclusion and focus was that I have a bad rim. The shop and I have tried different combinations of tires and rims and the vibration is still there to different degrees. Right now using a rim from my DR's it is smooth running until 60 then it gets rough. The vibration also seems to be changing some as I'm also now feeling a driveline clunk. No other noise just some slack. I put the truck in the air and rock'd the wheel back and forth and the U joints appear tight. No leaks from any seals. The slack looks to me is in the rearend and it is a little more than what I would call normal. The differential is a DTT/4:10 OEM gear.
Obviously I'll pull the cover and inspect the diff. My question is has anyone had anything like this happen to them? This has occurred since running at the track recently. I was thinking there should be some noise associated with a rearend failure, but all is still quiet. Inputs appreciated.
Thanks,

HTC 2018 TOTY

Old 05-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
Greg

Garage
I'm getting ready for a business trip, but had time to get my fat belly under the truck. i have a wobble in the front yoke and tailhousing. It's not leaking oil but wobbles pretty good when I shake the drive shaft. The rear trans mount seems also to be really soft. I never mount the trans solid, but will usually use solid mounts on the engine and leave the OEM mount on the trans. I don't want to do that quite yet but I would like a more solid mount. I'm now thinking I have two problems going on as first I have a clunk and second the wobble. I need to really look at a break down of the trans parts to see where the clunk is coming from. Question, is there a bushing/seal kit just for the tail housing?

Thanks,

Edit: Anyone have an exploded view of the trans? Looks like there might be a tail shaft which would mean there is a coupler which could be the source of my slack.

HTC 2018 TOTY

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
Greg

Garage
Forgot about this thread, been keeping up on the Tailhouse vibration thread. Switched the current wheels with some old ones I had and they were free of vibration. Ordered new tires and hope to have them mounted Monday. Said all along it felt like a bad tire. Should have listened to myself.

HTC 2018 TOTY

Old 06-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #5
Greg

Garage
Replaced the new Dunlop SP5000 with General Grabber UHP. Fixed the problem. Out of the original four Dunlops 3 had hard spots. They would balnce but ran rough. (junk)!

Vibration gone life is good again...

HTC 2018 TOTY