Trailer brake problem - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Suspension, sway bars, lowering and lift

Old 04-05-2005, 09:13 PM   #1
O.H.

Trailer brake problem

I hooked up to my dump trailer tonight and after I got back in the cab after hooking it up, I noticed the brake controller status light flickered from on to off, and now it won't come back on. The brakes are not working, but the rest of the lights on the trailer are. I am at work right now without a test light, nor anything else to try it on to determine whether it's the truck or the trailer. Any suggestions? I will probably test it all the way through tomorrow morning, but it's bugging me!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2005, 10:42 PM   #2
*Damn*its*gotta*Hemi*

Trailer brake problem

Ill ask my bro on this. He is my resident wires and electronics expert.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:14 PM   #3

Trailer brake problem

You probably know the drill, if it was working and now not, some trailer brake controlers have a reset, check the truck fuse, then it's cord connections. If you are using the 7 blade RV plug, they seldom have problems. The old 6 pin plug does let the wires loosen sometimes. Since your lights are working, the ground is working. Does the manual lever on the control still work? It's sound more like a connection problem or a fuse.
MrTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2005, 03:56 PM   #4
O.H.

Trailer brake problem

I figured it out today. I hitched it up to my buddy's truck and it didn't work. I then hooked up to a different trailer and my truck and controller worked perfectly. So, I had the wife help me by watching the controller while I played with the wires and found that the emergency "rip cord" module mounted on the hitch of the trailer was faulty. I was able to move the pin around and the module was not completing the loop so the controller would function properly. I picked up a new module (completely under warranty), and will install it tonight.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:22 PM   #5
*Damn*its*gotta*Hemi*

Trailer brake problem

ripcord module?? Wow, you go fast enough with a trailer to require the use of a parachute???
Old 04-06-2005, 05:22 PM   #6

Trailer brake problem

Forgot about that, a lot of new trailers with the Chinese made emergency brake discontect are having problems, but I didn't know that it showed up on the controller. Master Brakes BrakeSmart controller and the new TowCommand controller in the Ford Super Duty as well as the Prodigy do tell you if the trailer connection fails. Brakesmart trailer brake controller can even come with the pyro in the digital readout and a diesel performance programmer as well as tell you who you are, the date and your favorite Bible verse.
MrTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 05:26 PM   #7
O.H.

Trailer brake problem

My new work truck was ordered with the tow comman system, along with the upfitter switches, but it only came through with the upfitter switches. I was really hoping to try that out. Oh well, that's ford for you. Sweet truck though, that 6.0 liter power stroke could pull a mountain.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:42 PM   #8
*Damn*its*gotta*Hemi*

Trailer brake problem

I have the Prodigy, what a great product. My dad who has the 14k trailer and the Turbo Diesel Ram would rather have that. The great thing is that it ha a readout on it, not just lights. So it can help tell you what the problem is. I bought it off of ebay for like 95 bucks delivered 2 years ago when I bought the truck and left my old tekonsha in the other truck I traded in on "accident". I wanted the new one.. Set it once and it learns how to brake with you based upon the inertia of the vehicle.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:04 PM   #9
O.H.

Trailer brake problem

All fixed. I installed the new module and it's all good. DIGH, I thought I had the prodigy until I looked them up online and it turns out I have the voyager instead. I'm just glad it's fixed. I wish my Dodge dealer was like my trailer dealer. I called them up and told them I found the problem. They just asked for the serial number and told me I could come pick up the new part. They didn't even need the old one, nor did they second guess me. Thank god it's all fixed, that's for sure!
Old 06-05-2014, 09:49 PM   #10

I am purchasing a 20' pull behind Camp trailer. I will be using my 2006 dodge ram 1500. I am wondering what is the best brand and bang for my buck on getting one. can anyone offer advice?
thanks so much!
Jennifer

*Areo Exhaust *3rd Strike C.A.I. *Trottle Body Spacer* Diablo Preditor Tune*

If You Cant Stand Behind OUR U.S. soldiers then Go Ahead and Stand IN FRONT of them!
Trooper Girl is offline   Reply With Quote