Towing sisters car from Chcago to Oklahoma - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Suspension, sway bars, lowering and lift

Old 04-27-2005, 07:50 PM   #1

Towing sisters car from Chcago to Oklahoma

Hope to get some info from you guys here. I have the 04 qd 1500 4x4 hemi with the trailer package and break control. I also have a 16x6 utility trailer with 2 3500lbs axels, breaks and ramps. The sides are all about 1.5' all the way around (angle iron). What is the best way to secure a 98 Ford Tarus to it. I can get all the straps and stuff, I was just wondering if you guys have some tips like location on the tarus and on the trailer for the straps to hook on to.

I thought about the u-haul tow dolly but at 45 mph and no breaks that could take a while and at $200 I will not burn that much more gas pulling my own trailer.

Thanks in advance for the tips.

spitse

spitse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2005, 10:46 PM   #2

If you load too far back, the trailer will whip and too far forward and the truck will squat too much. I'd center the Taurus with the front axle on the trailer, which with 16', you'll probably be all the way forward anyway. There should be a loop under the front and rear bumpers to tie too. That's where tow trucks latch on. With an independent suspension, coil springs and unibody, there's not much of the suspension to tie too. Good luck. Don't pass too many Titans.
MrTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 03:44 AM   #3

Good advice. . .

Keep in mind that if you hook to a loop on the body, you have to get tight enough to compress the springs, or the car will bounce and could come loose.

Hasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2005, 10:12 AM   #4

thanks for the info. I have an extra set of equilizer sadles (removable) from my parents travel trailer along with a sway bar, would that be a good idea to put on the trailer?
I dont plan on passing to many titans, but if they are in my way
Old 04-28-2005, 07:07 PM   #5
O.H.

FYI, I sell several cars per year on ebay. Each time I deliver one, I rent the Uhaul car carrier for $50. I use their "around town move" deal where I get it for twenty four hours and return it to the same location. I deliver the car and bring an empty trailer home with me. Costs me $50 per trip and the trailer gets all wheels off the ground and comes with the straps for securing the vehicles front end, as well as the chain for securing the rear. Their trailers are sweet too! All aluminum with LED lighting. They have intertia brakes and "say" 45 mph, but they are capable of 75-80 with no problems (uhh, so I hear).
Old 04-28-2005, 09:43 PM   #6

I was wondering about that 45mph thing. long drive at 45 would suck. I tried the u-haul trailer with the inertia breaks before and fought it the whole move. I guess the car dolly is better. Thanks for the reasurance O.H. Wonder if I could do the "Around Town" move over 4 days?
Old 04-29-2005, 07:37 PM   #7
O.H.

I just rented one today for two days. It's $49 per day for an around town move. So your $200 estimate was on the money. I just like the fact that all the ramps, straps, chains, etc are all there for that price. no worrys while towing about whether or not your bungie cord holding the car on will be ok for the duration.