Towing a UHaul Trailer - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Suspension, sway bars, lowering and lift

Old 02-24-2005, 09:42 AM   #1
TXHEMI &amp TJHEMI

Towing a UHaul Trailer

Well, we ended up reserving a trailer for the Long Haul to Mississippi. To much stuff for the short bed under the tonneau. I wanted to get a shell, but at twice the price compared to the lower 48, that wasn't gonna happen.

Any tips or recommendations?

The trailer I reserved will sit about even with the top of the truck bed, and the heavy stuff will be in the truck. The Moose won't even know the trailer is back there, and I'm sure it will have little impact on milage. I will have to get a drop receiver though.

Tex

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2005, 11:18 AM   #2

Towing a UHaul Trailer

Howly crap how many shoes do you need to bring? Personaly i would put the heavy stuff in the trailer. No matter what the truck is pulling it won't know that its even back there.
mScott80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:22 PM   #3
Officer Hemi

Towing a UHaul Trailer

I agree with mScott80, heavy in the trailer is your best bet especially for ride quality. I have towed tons with my hemi and it works great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2005, 05:37 PM   #4
*Damn*its*gotta*Hemi*

Towing a UHaul Trailer

Hey guys, if you haven't ridden in our Moose trucks yet, youll know that putting a little more weight in the truck bed helps up with the kidney punches. Just my .02
Old 02-24-2005, 08:28 PM   #5
TXHEMI &amp TJHEMI

Towing a UHaul Trailer

Two thoughts on this one:

First, I will be in snow and Ice for at least the first third of the trip, so I want the trailer to follow, not pass me on a steep downgrade.
Second, Damn is right, the 2500's are jacked in the rear as much as the 1500's. A little weight over the rear axle will smooth out the ride, and help with traction.

I'm only haulin' around 1500 pounds total anyway, just need the trailer for those things that are taller than the tonneau cover, (like the rottweiller's mobile home sized kennel).

Check me on this train of thought, as all of my trailer pulling experience is in the South.

Thanks!

Tex
Old 02-24-2005, 08:44 PM   #6

Towing a UHaul Trailer

with a trailer that small you won't have a single problem. But if you are concerd about it get a set of tortion *sp* /anti sway bars. I have them on my big trailer. no matter how bad the wind is its right behind you. No out of control breaking. o yea trailer breaks. I'd offer to let you barrow mine but i am taking a trip up north again
Old 02-24-2005, 09:02 PM   #7

Towing a UHaul Trailer

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by *Damn*its*gotta*Hemi*:
Hey guys, if you haven't ridden in our Moose trucks yet, youll know that putting a little more weight in the truck bed helps up with the kidney punches. Just my .02
You nailed that one ..I know all about it lol
5SpeedHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 12:08 AM   #8
*Damn*its*gotta*Hemi*

Towing a UHaul Trailer

Anti-sway pars are a nice thing to have, and get yourself a brake controler. UHAUL may provide you one if you dont want to buy it. (Rental charge on both the box and sway bars, of course) IVe got a low of toing experience, pulling experience. I woud really like to find some good shcoks and see if that helps with the ride and my kidneys. LOL
Old 02-25-2005, 12:10 AM   #9

Towing a UHaul Trailer

As a, ahem, proffesional driver and Moose owner, it would be best to put the majority of the weight in your truck bed. I had a set of doubles (mine) try to pass me in the snow on Willamette Pass in Oregon. It was real tense for a bit but I caught them.
Toy Haulin' Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 12:19 AM   #10

Towing a UHaul Trailer

Man i may have to take a ride in a moose.. I always brag about how nice a ride my 1500 SB QB 4x4 is. Break controlers are like 20 bucks easy install i got mine mounted on that flapp that pulls down under the dash. 99% of the pple that get in my truck never know i have it installed and its easy to get at when needed. cheap mod and SAFE.