To those runnig aftermarket rear sway bars - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Suspension, sway bars, lowering and lift

Old 08-24-2016, 06:53 PM   #1

To those runnig aftermarket rear sway bars

My truck is in desperate need of a rear sway bar. I have been doing some research and apparently Hellwig and Beltech are the most popular. I have been looking into Beltech the most because they offer the u-bolts that fit the dana60 rear (3.5" axle tubes). Anyways, to those that have a Beltech, did you have to drop the gas tank to install the driver side bracket?

Do you guys recommned another bar?

MaximumRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2016, 06:59 PM   #2
Greg

Garage
Max, you already have that heavy axle and you are going to need traction bars.. you sure you want a sway bar too?

1956 Jeep Pickup Hemi powered "Street Rod project"

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:03 PM   #3

Exclamation

I can only speak for my Hellwig bar...and I would not trade it for another one...the difference is extremely noticeable...I also must add that I installed Bilstein shocks all around at the same time as the rear sway bar. There are certainly other excellent quality combos out there...this installation was just very straightforward and easy with no problems .

with your final selection .

HemiFun05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2016, 07:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtruck-VA View Post
Max, you already have that heavy axle and you are going to need traction bars.. you sure you want a sway bar too?
The truck becomes a little unpredictable when taking any sort of curves and hitting bumps and the same time. I can feel the rear skipping laterally and when it happens at highway speeds over 70 it is a little scary
At first, i thought of a watts link or a panhard bar, but i do not know how effective it would be when running leaf springs

I am open to advise
Old 08-24-2016, 07:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiFun05 View Post
I can only speak for my Hellwig bar...and I would not trade it for another one...the difference is extremely noticeable...I also must add that I installed Bilstein shocks all around at the same time as the rear sway bar. There are certainly other excellent quality combos out there...this installation was just very straightforward and easy with no problems .

with your final selection .

Thanks, i will keep the shocks in mind as well
Old 08-24-2016, 07:29 PM   #6

Know what you mean on that sketchy feeling from the rear tires. HTC discussed this quite a bit around 2005 or so. Remedies were don't over inflate tires, in fact carry a couple of PSI below recommended; quality shocks; leveling or lowering suspension.

On my 04 I carried a couple of PSI under recommended, installed Bilstien shocks, and leveled by using 2 inch drop shackles and removing helper springs. Made a world of difference. Rear sway bars would have been the icing on the cake, but I was satisfied with the improved performance already.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiFun05 View Post
I can only speak for my Hellwig bar...

I checked again and it is actually Hellwig that makes the kit with the 3.5" ubolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavRam View Post
Know what you mean on that sketchy feeling from the rear tires. HTC discussed this quite a bit around 2005 or so. Remedies were don't over inflate tires, in fact carry a couple of PSI below recommended; quality shocks; leveling or lowering suspension.

On my 04 I carried a couple of PSI under recommended, installed Bilstien shocks, and leveled by using 2 inch drop shackles and removing helper springs. Made a world of difference. Rear sway bars would have been the icing on the cake, but I was satisfied with the improved performance already.

Thanks for the tips!!!
Old 08-24-2016, 08:01 PM   #8

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumRisk View Post
I checked again and it is actually Hellwig that makes the kit with the 3.5" ubolts
-------------------------------
You will like it . Add Bilsteins and you will be good to go for a long time .

HemiFun05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:32 PM   #9
Greg

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavRam View Post

Max, actually that's how I'm setup. Lowered 6 in the rear, helper spring removed with Caltrac's. I run low pressure in the rear (28). It felt like it was wiggling and I changed shocks and it was good. I use to run the country back roads, but actually haven't for some time. But the truck feels solid at speed.
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:40 AM   #10
Board of Directors-Bill

Garage
Helper spring removal for sure!
You'll be happy with the Helwig set up.
Just [email protected]

arocketman is offline   Reply With Quote