need new suspension! - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Suspension, sway bars, lowering and lift

Old 07-08-2008, 09:19 PM   #1

need new suspension!

hey guys, i've been thinking about some things to get for my truck and i think i want to get a completely new suspension and dropped. rear shocks are shot and i dont like the front ones. i want to get some 22's and a sway kit later on. im looking for a low but not real low, level truck that wont tilt when i have something in the bed and that rides and corners great. of course anything right now would be better than what i have now. right now my truck floats lazily up and down when i hit a bump and body rolls too much for comfort. what would some of you guys do? buy shocks, a lowering kit, and front and rear sway bars separate? or buy it all in one package considering its worth the money? brands and setups would be a big help. i was looking at a groundforce package that comes with everything i think but dont know it's performance. any input would be good because im sick and tired of my rear wheels going all over the place when i hit a bump. thanks

Cipher117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2008, 11:47 PM   #2

need new suspension!

Drop options: Mcgaughy
Sway Bar Options: Belltech/Hellwig/Hotchkis
Shocks: Bilstein=stiffer/IAS=Handling/KYB=OEM replacement

I run the Belltech rear swaybar, and IAS shocks on all corners. Made a huge difference on handling... Next is a 2/4 deluxe Mcgaughy drop and air ride assist rear bags.
madcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:23 AM   #3

need new suspension!

-but,I also like western chassis for drops and Belltech Nitro(and Nitro 2's)for shocks-handling wise(my next shock). I've had the Doestch tech drop shocks on the rear for over 4 years now. They seem to be better if you want lowered shocks,but don't want to spend as much money. Handling wise,they are average.
kc1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2008, 10:03 AM   #4

need new suspension!

i've read on here somewhere that some sway bars have clearance issues if you go up a bigger rim size; which would work with 22's?

im not sure what kind of ride i want as of yet. the truck bounces over things hard and then levels off in some sort of lazy up and down motion right now. i want ones that handle great and make it to where i barely feel a bump (or roadkill haha). which do you guys think fits that description?

are the mcgaughy drop kits front and rear or seperate? thanks for the response guys, i dont know anything suspension wise
Old 07-11-2008, 10:39 AM   #5

need new suspension!

Quote:
quote:i've read on here somewhere that some sway bars have clearance issues if you go up a bigger rim size; which would work with 22's?

*Hellwig sway has small clearance issues with the 20" spare tires when you lower the rear end. Havent heard of any issues with the belltech's

im not sure what kind of ride i want as of yet. the truck bounces over things hard and then levels off in some sort of lazy up and down motion right now. i want ones that handle great and make it to where i barely feel a bump (or roadkill haha). which do you guys think fits that description?

*The Edelbrock IAS shocks sound like your winner. They have an "inertia" valve that senses road terrain.

are the mcgaughy drop kits front and rear or seperate? thanks for the response guys, i dont know anything suspension wise

*mcgaughy KITS, are front/rear drops... the deluxe kit uses front spindles (rides better) in place of the shorter coil option (rides rougher).
Old 07-14-2008, 01:41 PM   #6

need new suspension!

thanks madcat . i think i'll settle with belltech sway bar and the deluxe 2/4 complete drop. it says it comes shocks but idk which brand. if its the belltech nitro II's they have listed then i'll hold off on the edelbrocks and see how they do at first. this will be the first time i've dropped a vehicle so if there's anything else i need to know then anybody feel free to say it
Old 07-14-2008, 01:47 PM   #7

need new suspension!

dont run larger than a 40 series tire if doing 22s.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:07 PM   #8

need new suspension!

thanks for the tip, definitely something to remember haha. how much does it cost to put on a 2/4 complete suspension? i got told it was expensive but my source was pretty vague on the price