moose rears - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Suspension, sway bars, lowering and lift

Old 05-07-2005, 04:39 PM   #1

moose rears

have any of you out there with 2500"s had a shudder when accelerating?, mostly into a turn.mine started doing this about a month ago and i had one in the shop for the same reason, i called diamler and they had me put in a new posi unit, i took the old unit apart, i cant see anything in this unit that would go bad, but the shudder went away, this thing is bullet proof, no clutches, it has 4 6 inch long helical gears that act as pinion gears(spider gears)and 4 pieces of steel they call brakes, i would really like to see someone blow one of these rears, not going to happen

hemiram911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2005, 08:09 PM   #2

moose rears

Mine's did it since day 1. Accelerating away while making a sharp turn is mostly where I feel it. If I make a 90* left, I can actually look out the window and watch the left rear tire jump with enough throttle. If I baby it, it's smoothe as butter. Never bothered me. I'm used to having lockers front and rear in my Jeeps. Just figured it's the nature of the beast.
What I need to do is test drive a Power Wagon for a couple of hours and swap axles
racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 05:56 AM   #3

moose rears

lol, i hear ya racer, no its not that kind of shudder, i know a locker also, wouldnt want anything else, but this is a vibration like shudder, you feel it in the seat and the floor
hemiram911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2005, 07:55 AM   #4

moose rears

I still think we're talking about the same thing. You can definitely feel the vibration in the seat when it does it. Plus, mine seems to be doing it more often lately. From what I can tell, it's acting more like a locker than a limited slip(believe me, I'm NOT comlaining). I actually had the opposite complaint to the dealer when it was new (too smooth), I didn't believe it even had antislip at first. I put it on the street and jacked up the l/rear with a bottle jack. Couldn't get it hook up at all, gas and brake at the same time and it wouldn't budge. On the way to the dealer to complain, stopped on the side of the road with one tire on grass and one on pavement, punched it and left a good 20ft stripe on the pavement. Went to the dealer anyways and had them print me an exploded view of the rear just to see what design this thing was.
My point is, I just wonder if over time, the tolerances loosen a little and it works too good?
racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 06:26 PM   #5

moose rears

What is the official description of the Trac-Rite limited slip offered in the 2500/3500?

Its a mechanical locker of some type, just wondered what aftermarket Brands are of the same style. If its offered on a street truck, you'd think this style would be best.

I cannot find any mention of Trac-Rite, must be some recent or Dodge only trade name????
Hemi101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 09:06 PM   #6

moose rears

my 03 moose did this and a bottle of friction modifier eliminated it.
Twist 2 Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 09:10 PM   #7

moose rears

mine has never done it and I just changed the fluid and added a bottle of additive to it. It looked perfect when I was in there.
Twistdmetal is offline   Reply With Quote