Leveling kit install for 06-08 1500 - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Suspension, sway bars, lowering and lift

Old 10-26-2007, 05:50 PM   #1

Here is a write up I did on another forum, it covers 2"-2.5" kits that fit ON TOP of the strut assembly

I finally got around to installing my 2" Truxxx leveling kit,.. FINALLY! This walkthrough should also work with the 2.5" TGC as well. Being a mechanic I will try to describe my best,

You will need,

Wrenches
13mm
15mm
17mm
18mm
13/16
22mm
24mm

Sockets-- I chose deep impact
13/16
7/8
15/16
1/2" drive wobble adapter

4lb hammer
1/2 drive air impact
1/2" 6" long extension
Pry bar
Ball joint/tie rod puller, I DO NOT recommend using a pickle fork, UNLESS its wide enough, you will cut your boots.

I loosened my wheel nuts first with my 1/2 ratchet wrench first, as I DO NOT use impact tools on my wheel nuts.

Jack up truck and place jack stand under the first side, do not place under lower control arm, but to the side.

Remove tire, place floor jack under lower control arm shock mount.

Item A
You can remove top or bottom,.. I chose the bottom. Remove the nut.

Item B You don't have to undo

Item C Use 13mm wrench and remove bolt holding the brake line mount, pull the steel line gently through so the nut is on the opposite side. You don't really need to do this,.. but I did anyways cause it was my first time.

Undo the clips holding the ABS sensor line

Not shown, remove the tie rod end with aforementioned tool, OR you can use a small 2 jaw puller, or a good smack with a 4lb hammer works also.

Lift up with the jack until the truck wants to lift a tad, Undo the upper ball joint, top 3 strut nuts, and lower strut mount. DO NOT place under lower ball joint, it makes everything unstable when removing the top joint.

NOW push in on the axle till it bottoms on the nut that you backed off, lower the jack, the lower control arm MUST be FREE of ITEM A, as in.. it must not BIND while lowering OR you with have a hard time removing the lower strut from the mount.

Remove strut with pry bar, if need be, and install the spacer on top of the strut assembly.

NOTE: Strut assembly will go back in 180deg, because the new spacer mounts opposite.

Install strut, place supplied nuts onto the studs and push up on strut and tighten down finger tight for now. Pry lower strut into position and install the lower bolt, will be much easier if item A is free.

Now, raise the jack, and gently tap the torsion mount, NOW REALLY IMPORTANT. While lifting the lower control arm with the jack, turn the rotor until you feel the cv axle "pop" back into place into the diff; on both sides of my truck I had to do this, I mention it because it may happen to you as well, better safe than sorry.

Tighten the strut upper nuts and lower bolt, tighten the torsion mount, then the tie rod end, align the upper ball joint, PUSH down on the upper control arm and start the nut, tighten all hardware.

Install wheels, lower truck and torque wheels.

If you think I missed something or you have an questions, let me know and I will try to answer.

BEFORE

AFTER

CV angle after

Revised for errors

2006 2500 QC LB Laramie powered by Cummins

mudchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2007, 08:49 PM   #2

Great job

I used my friend's shop with lift so I did not have to go through some of the stuff you mentioned...but about the same thing I did and got about the same amount of hight....I did not have my camera with me so I used my PPC phone and when I tried to transfer pictures to my PC something happened and lost all of them.....so pictures you included are very much helpful to those that are thinking about doing it.

'07 Dodge RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi MDS 4x4 QC Big Horn Edition

BlackDragonHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:05 PM   #3

Also, some might get an initial higher lift because of newer coils,. mine have been through some offroading and abuse,.. so they are a little broke in

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2007, 12:58 AM   #4

Great post and !
'03 Black SLT QC SWB 4x4 Off-Road-- Rough Country X-Lift -- Deaver progressive leaf springs w/ 4" lift -- Fox 2.0 Reservoir Shocks -- CST Upper Control Arms -- KORE CVs -- 35 x 12.50 Toyo OC AT2s on 17 x 9 Moab STRs -- AirAid CAI -- Comp 260 cam -- Manley springs & retainers -- Stu's Custom Pushrods -- JBA Cat-4ward mids -- Borla cat-back exhaust -- Dana S60 -- 4.56 Yukons -- Superchips / Diablosport Stack-- Mark VIII e-fan -- 8.2mm Taylors

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last." - Sir Winston Churchill

Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:20 AM   #5

thanks for the info on the leveling kit! this is my next mod to my truck!
Flowmaster 40-series custom catback, 3rd Strike CAI, 3rd Strike throttle body spacer, 2.5 topguncustomz leveling kit, AMSOIL, PUTCO Chrome door and tailgate covers, UWS GullWing Series Toolbox, 18x9 ION Alloys Series 179 Chrome Finish, Falken Wild Peak A/T Off-Road Tire 285/65/18, WeatherTech Floor Liner, Edge Evolution Programmer

NEXT MOD:
Steel Front and Rear Bumpers, Mopar Fender Flares, and HID Driving/Fogs lights

roberx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 04:27 AM   #6
Director Emeritus

Garage
Great "How to" post Thank you Sir!
2009 Ram 5.7 HEMI QC 4X4 Laramie - bone stock for now

MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:10 AM   #7

Wow Nice!! Thanks for taking the time and writing that up!!

Infernogrl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:30 PM   #8

Nice job! Mind if I use that on my site?
Old 11-09-2007, 04:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally posted by semo03hemiram:
Nice job! Mind if I use that on my site?
Yes feel free, its for everyone

Old 11-09-2007, 07:27 PM   #10

Thank you sir. I am going to be creating a "How To" section full of installation instructions on the site soon...