Drop the rear for 20$ and maintain towing capacity - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Suspension, sway bars, lowering and lift

Old 01-22-2008, 11:44 AM   #1

Drop the rear for 20$ and maintain towing capacity

So hearing yall removing springs etc, shackles, heres something to try if anyone wants the look but dosent want to loose the towing capacity. So for the guys who use their trucks heres the idea and Ive done it used it for 2 yrs on my old truck before I lifted it. Go to AutoZone get the rectangle ubolt spring clamps, 2 packs will do it!!! Clamp the overload spring to the sprng pack, doing this firms up the ride, you wont hit the bump stops!!!! Improved Handling and feel difference in everything acceleration and braking, it controls spring wrap that is noticable on these suspensions! Just a alternative for some who dont want to hack up the suspension, easily removed, and functional.

Place the clamps 1" for the edge of the overload to the edge of the clamp for maximum control, and 3" in for lighter effects. You can clamp just the front one and get 1" of drop and real good control of spring wrap its the settup I used at the track and loved it!!!!

brand_x_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2008, 02:26 PM   #2

been there done that

for some people it's waayyy too stiff, makes potholes and speedbumps horrifically harsh, also removes a lot of rebound from the springs, which means after hitting a large hole your suspension is not as quick to get the rubber back on the road

it does help with spring wrap and thus off the line acceleration, they are the poor mans traction bars and work really well

i have also used the overload removal method, and have also used the shackles

also combined removing middle leaf and overload and using shackles, which with all three by the way makes your truck perfectly level and gives it a cadillac ride, but it also makes spring wrap so bad you will get serious driveline vibrations under acceleration because of such an extreme pinion or prop shaft angle and you will hit the bump stops frequently, leaves only about a 1.5-2" clearance between the axle and bump stops

after trying every method possible other than a flip kit to level my truck without sacrificing ride quality or sacrificing load capacity, i settled with overloads removed (free) and shackles installed (used cheap of fellow HTC member), its not quite level but its better than it was, load capacity hasnt changed unless you "overload" it which i dont make a habit of doing anyways
gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:26 PM   #3

Its a great fix for some of those who dont want to go tearing leafs down etc. and changing componets, and I know I overload mine, pull 20' trailer with a 5000 to 6000lb trucks on it frequent, 8000lb travel trailer, so I need that extra suspension, when you have a load on it, rides like a cadillac, and I agree it makes some things more harsh like potholes but the response is so much more!!!! Its exactly the poor mans traction bar! And perfect for some one who wants a little more or to level it out, just was thinking of some of the people who are on limited budget or trade their trucks in frequently.
brand_x_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2008, 04:07 PM   #4

I am about to try this. I have heard about putting them in front, behind, both...any further input on placement? I already did the Slammed1 Shackles and it came down a bit...just not level yet.
Thanks!
LVDWAVZ is offline   Reply With Quote