drop and squeak - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Suspension, sway bars, lowering and lift

Old 06-24-2008, 08:55 PM   #1

drop and squeak

So I just put on my lowering shackles looks pretty good but it needs to go a lil further. Ill get to that in a sec. Anyways when I hit bumps it makes like a squeaking and a popping noise sounds aweful. I dry fitted my parts while the load was off the rear and waited to tighten the four bolts when I got it back on the ground. I didnt use any kind of grease on the bushings either. Does anyone know the cause of this noise and maybe how to fix it?

Second question. I want to go down a little more and ive read forums about taking off the over load leaf or just the middle leaf. I know takin off the over load will cut back my carring cap. a lil bit. Whats the draw back to taking out just another leaf besides the over load? And if that is better y would anyone want to take off the overload?

Thanks for yalls time. Hopefully with yalls help I can tackle these two issues and get her sittin right.

HEMIHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2008, 10:03 PM   #2
The Original Bee

drop and squeak

What kind of shackles did you get? They could be installed backwards. If they are DJM, that is a normal condition. Any pics?
HemiSuperBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:28 PM   #3

drop and squeak

on all accounts.... i had to take off my DJMs because of the relentless squeaking. Went with belltech.
spring clamps will get you down another 1/2" with 1 set, almost 1 full inch with 2 sets, but will stiffen up your ride a lot though. Seeing your a QC, i can not recommend removing a leaf spring.. not saying it hasnt been done
madcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2008, 11:28 AM   #4

drop and squeak

I would take off the shackles and just do a flip kit and that will get you sitting where you want.
lightingkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:54 PM   #5

drop and squeak

I put my lower bolts in backwards the first time I installed my shackles and I had a really bad squeak. So I removed the shackles, installed the bolts right, left them kinda loose and jumped up and down on my bumper a couple of times before I tightened them fully to make sure that everything was set where it wanted to be, before I torqed them. Worked like a champ. I did use the silicone lube that came with the shackles on anything I thought would rub. Result was a level and much quieter ride.
JX2K1 is offline   Reply With Quote