Bilsteins 5100's for my 2015 Ram Q-cab 4x4 - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Suspension, sway bars, lowering and lift

Old 08-19-2015, 10:42 PM   #1

Garage
Bilsteins 5100's for my 2015 Ram Q-cab 4x4

Ok I want to level it or actually still have a slight rake so what should they be adjusted at ? Also for those that have them installed how much more firm is it and is it a improvement ? Also considering the Bilsteins with the seperate reservoir and was curious if that would be a over kill or is it that much better for light off road /gravel roads and some light trails "easy driving" and how much firmer is the ride and what's the price differential ?
Thanks in advance 👍🏻

TheFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2015, 09:43 AM   #2

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post
Ok I want to level it or actually still have a slight rake so what should they be adjusted at ? Also for those that have them installed how much more firm is it and is it a improvement ? Also considering the Bilsteins with the seperate reservoir and was curious if that would be a over kill or is it that much better for light off road /gravel roads and some light trails "easy driving" and how much firmer is the ride and what's the price differential ?
Thanks in advance 👍🏻
--------------------------------------------
I can only say from my recent install (4600 model shock) on a Gen.III 2WD QC that the ride control is much better without being harsh...

HemiFun05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:49 AM   #3
Gold-Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiFun05 View Post
I can only say from my recent install (4600 model shock) on a Gen.III 2WD QC that the ride control is much better without being harsh...

Better over regular gas shocks? And are you talking for off road or street driving?
I would like to have a little nicer ride for like highway driving. But still be a truck. I don't want it to feel all loose and spongy like chebbys do.
05 1500 SLT Quad Black on Black | Pace Setter Long Tubes | Magna Flow Cat Back | Doug's Electric Cutout | Custom Ram Air Hood | Spyder LED Tails | Spec-D Black Projectors W/Halos | Flex-A-Lite E-Fan |Jet 180 Stat | K&N CAI | 20 inch wheels | Comp 268 Cam W/6.1 push rods and springs | Diablo Trinity | Custom Tune by Charged392.

kcd1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2015, 11:23 AM   #4

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcd1369 View Post
Better over regular gas shocks? And are you talking for off road or street driving?
I would like to have a little nicer ride for like highway driving. But still be a truck. I don't want it to feel all loose and spongy like chebbys do.
-------------------------------------------
For me (street driving 2WD) the stock height (4600) Bilsteins are definitely a noticeable improvement over the stock shocks that the truck came with originally. I have not tried any other shock configurations on this truck for comparison. On other vehicles in the past I've had great success using KYB gas shocks and KONI coil-over shocks.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:06 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:

Thanks for the info , I liked the controlled description you mentioned that's always a good thing and yet not to harsh sounds like a nice happy medium which would be great . My Truck rides good now just want to pick up the front a tad but not loose the nice ride it had . Sounds like the Bilsteins might fit the bill .
Old 08-20-2015, 03:30 PM   #6

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post
Thanks for the info , I liked the controlled description you mentioned that's always a good thing and yet not to harsh sounds like a nice happy medium which would be great . My Truck rides good now just want to pick up the front a tad but not loose the nice ride it had . Sounds like the Bilsteins might fit the bill .
I'm not 'certain' how the 5100's for a lifted application compare directly to the 4600's that I'm using for a standard height 2WD QC but I would think the handling characteristics would be similar... with your selection .

Old 08-20-2015, 06:23 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
I'm not 'certain' how the 5100's for a lifted application compare directly to the 4600's that I'm using for a standard height 2WD QC but I would think the handling characteristics would be similar... with your selection .

Thanks man !
Not sure yet I mean heck she still has puppy breath 😛
I might wait to hit 1000 miles and make a decision 👍🏻
Old 01-13-2016, 09:36 AM   #8

Bilstein 5100's?

Hi. You never followed up on your Bilstein 5100 install on the 4x4? Bought 5100's for my 2012 on New Years Day. Just joined the forum couple days ago. Hopefully get them in soon. One of my stock struts blew out a while back. Like driving a hay wagon lol.
Devo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:00 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo View Post
Hi. You never followed up on your Bilstein 5100 install on the 4x4? Bought 5100's for my 2012 on New Years Day. Just joined the forum couple days ago. Hopefully get them in soon. One of my stock struts blew out a while back. Like driving a hay wagon lol.
My apologizes I ended up deciding to save up for a lift and will do the bils at the same time .
But until then I'm enjoying my truck to its fullest .
What a great truck !
Glad your bils worked out good for you and a bummer you blew a stock one out .
Old 01-14-2016, 06:32 PM   #10
John

Garage

SUPER BEE is offline   Reply With Quote