4th gen ('09) rear suspension drop - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Suspension, sway bars, lowering and lift

Old 03-17-2008, 12:51 PM   #1

Garage
4th gen ('09) rear suspension drop

So I've been thinking about this, and I'm wondering what the aftermarket manufacturer's are thinking too.

Being that it's a 4-link now, do you think a drop kit will have extension's for the lower link to keep it parallel to the ground? That is the optimal position for that lower link. But if they do that, it would twist the axle down making the pinion angle different... unless they do something with the upper link. If it's possible. If they don't change any of the 4-links, then a drop will slightly move the axle forward. May not be so noticeable stock, but with big wheels, and the lower the drop, the more it'd be noticeable.

Then you have the center position of the axle. They say it's a 5-link, and if I remember from Chicago auto show, the 5th is a panhard bar. With a drop, the axle won't be centered anymore. Will drop kits come with a new panhard bar to keep it centered?

All these things are possible, but it has me thinking if ya gotta buy all new links for yer drop, then it's not exactly gonna be a quick/cheap fix like a flip kit or shackles. Something to think about and discuss. Wish I could pick a few brains from the suspension manf. R&D crews.

Really wish they would've gone with a watts linkage like they did on the Durango's.

TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2008, 08:07 AM   #2

There are plenty of eggheads at these big companies who will spend many a night with their cad/cam to figure this out. I say give it some time and someone will have a kit out for it. This message has been edited. Last edited by: UsmcMan96, document.write(''+ myTimeZone('Tue, 18 Mar 2008 06:11:24 GMT-0700', '18 March 2008 09:11 AM')+''); 18 March 2008 09:11 AM
UsmcMan96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:41 PM   #3

Hell, its just like doing any 4 link on the front of a jeep, its a long arm kit basically one gets longer and in this case one will be a bit shorter, its easier to drop this than to do a flip kit I have to say in my experience, Axle position will be changed by the bars to keep the axle centered and the pinion angle is all that realy is the main concern here. My 2 bits here!
brand_x_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2008, 03:15 PM   #4

Garage

If the geometry is correct, then the pinion angle won't be much of an issue. But that was apart of my original question: if it doesn't correct itself based on geometry, then a lowering kit would have to provide 2 shorter upper links of the 4-link to provide that correct angle.

Once more, the panhard bar will have to be shortened as well like you said with any kind of a permanent suspension alteration.

In the end, yer right, it will also be easier to drop, even easier to do air bags from what I saw. Just more parts, and prolly more $$ is what I'm not looking fwd. to.
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:02 AM   #5

Quote:
quote:the panhard bar will have to be shortened
or the mounts relocated to keep it centered in the range of travel...
madcat is offline   Reply With Quote