Throttle body question - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Trucks and Special Editions > 3rd Generation Ram | 2003 - 2008

Old 11-13-2017, 09:37 AM   #1

Throttle body question

Hey Guys, I had a question regerding the throttle body on my Bee. I noticed it's located toward the back (closer to the firewall) side of the engine, and then later models had it located up towards the front of the engine. What gives? and is there any conversion kit I can get to bring mine more up to date without swapping out the engine? I thought all Gen III hemi's were the same, but I'm finding it's difficult to get bolt on parts. Everything seems to be made for 2008/2009 or newer. Just as an example, edelbrock's E-Force supercharger will only work on 2009 or newer. I was just wondering why. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

RumbleBee2286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2017, 12:12 PM   #2
Chris

The 5.7 hemi engines basically have 3 groups. 03-05 don’t have the MDS which shuts off 4 cylinders on highway driving, but they are basically the same engine as the 06-08. After 2008 they completely changed the engine around, which has a different intake manifold that moves the throttle body forward that you are talking about. They also introduced VVT (variable valve timing) which changes a lot of the internal parts, epsecially the cams and heads. There are tons of info on the web about what parts interchange between the years, but I’m not sure the new manifolds will swap to your truck without some major work or the newer head style.
4.56 and Detroit TruTrac-Custom Morimoto Projector Headlights
Tuned by Charged392
Tons of Pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums
YeahItsAHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:43 AM   #3

Garage
The 03-05 , and then 06-08 , the difference in the those truck intakes is mostly structure, the TB mounts in the same spot.
The car and jeep intake the TB mounts right in the front, but to use that intake you need the car front cover because of the accessories mounting locations.

The big ticket Power option for the NA 5.7s is the Eagle 5.7 top end, heads , car/jeep intake. the variable runners can be activated with a MSD box.
There's a lot of info on it over on the LXfourm.

Block of choice is still the 5.7/6.1 Non VVTs , but as time moves on the VVT blocks/6.4s are starting to gain ground.
Have to run But I'll get in to this more later.
ric3xrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2017, 10:34 AM   #4
Greg

Garage
I have never used a auto intake manifold but have read that with spacers it can be used with the truck front accessories system.

1956 Jeep Willys Pickup Hemi powered "Street Rod project"

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:29 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtruck-VA View Post
I have never used a auto intake manifold but have read that with spacers it can be used with the truck front accessories system.

They can be used that way, My personal opinion, avoid spacer if at all possible.

The G3 Ram is the proverbial black sheep of the G3 Hemi industry, and Honestly most of the after market guys I've talked to in the last few years all say the same thing ..it's 545rfe, or as one aftermarket cam guy said, Chunk of scrap between the Flex plate and driveshaft.

When you look at these trucks in a performance mindset, you have to treat them like a Magnum/pre 09Charger/Jeep) or 08 challenger, with the exception of chassis specific parts (ie headers, rear and to a point intakes).

Greg and Knighmoves(not sure his real name) both use the OCP intake manifold , I've talked to a3 other guys who have that intake on their truck with Comp 260 and Hughes cam SER0812MHLN-114 . light ported pre Eagles heads and have had great results.

Question is what is your goal, what do you want to do , with these trucks your better off putting your onw package together, now that being said , the guys at Inertia Motorsports are real good with these trucks.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:32 AM   #6
Stu

Garage
I like the truck intake manifold. You'll have more hp/tq combined out of it than any intake manifold out there other than the car plastic 5.7 manifold for a stock or mild modded Hemi truck engine. In regards to gas mileage and bottom end tq for our trucks. But, if your looking to really hop up the hp on your Hemi. Well, that's where the other intake manifolds come in.

The truck intake manifold allows a big air to water intercooler in front of it.

Ghost03hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:46 PM   #7
Greg

Garage
As mentioned I use the OCP manifold with a 90 mm TB mounted pointing straight up much like the school carburetor. As you can see my I/C same as Stu's fits good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171003_144826.jpg (42.3 KB, 2 views)

1956 Jeep Willys Pickup Hemi powered "Street Rod project"

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric3xrt View Post
The 03-05 , and then 06-08 , the difference in the those truck intakes is mostly structure, the TB mounts in the same spot.
The car and jeep intake the TB mounts right in the front, but to use that intake you need the car front cover because of the accessories mounting locations.

The big ticket Power option for the NA 5.7s is the Eagle 5.7 top end, heads , car/jeep intake. the variable runners can be activated with a MSD box.
There's a lot of info on it over on the LXfourm.

Block of choice is still the 5.7/6.1 Non VVTs , but as time moves on the VVT blocks/6.4s are starting to gain ground.
Have to run But I'll get in to this more later.
Eagle truck or Apache intake is the way to go depending on intake location preference. The eagle cars didn't have the active intake, not sure about the jeeps tho. And yeah, just wire it to a window switch, I think stock it switches at around 4200rpm.
TylerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:31 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerB View Post
Eagle truck or Apache intake is the way to go depending on intake location preference. The eagle cars didn't have the active intake, not sure about the jeeps tho. And yeah, just wire it to a window switch, I think stock it switches at around 4200rpm.

42/4500 depending on torque management,

Jeeps use Eagle intake part #68048131AC (same as the Challenger and 300)
Rams use Eagle intake part #68194114AC

Torque is very important, Quadcab/4x4 I wouldn't swap to a car intake, but A 4x2 RCSB, I would, here's why, this intake moves the power band up by about 1500 RPMs, you won't hit the tires as hard on the lunch, and what you lose in that 1500-2500 rpm area you can make up for with gear and convertor & tuning
Spinning ant winning and these trucks can use all the help they can get in that traction area.

If you go with a turbo/procharger , low boost stay with the PreEagle truck intake, for the reasons Greg and Stu list.

But for a Moderate to all out NA build I would look into the whole Eagle top end(heads/intake) and a cam in the mid .550s to .600 lift