Replacement hood - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Trucks and Special Editions > 3rd Generation Ram | 2003 - 2008

Like Tree45Likes

Old 08-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #1
John

Garage
Replacement hood

I would like opinions from owners of an Amerihood ram air fiberglass hood. I am thinking about replacing my stock hood with the Amerihood SSK style functional heat extractor vented fiberglass hood. Seems to be very well made. I don't know about the weight. I also wonder if it needs much in the way of fitting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dr02ahsskfh_dodge_ram_02_2.jpg (18.0 KB, 6 views)
BIG RED HEMI MN likes this.

SUPER BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2018, 01:09 PM   #2

Exclamation

John I think we have had members using that hood in the past - it might have been called the 'Venom Hood' somewhere down the road. They do look good - scroll through the archives of HTC member's trucks and see if one shows up .

My guess is that you would need a skilled professional to strengthen the hood a bit, fit it properly and professionally paint it to match before you would be satisfied. I would say go for it if you're into what it takes to be satisfied!

HemiFun05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:08 AM   #3
John

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiFun05 View Post
John I think we have had members using that hood in the past - it might have been called the 'Venom Hood' somewhere down the road. They do look good - scroll through the archives of HTC member's trucks and see if one shows up .

My guess is that you would need a skilled professional to strengthen the hood a bit, fit it properly and professionally paint it to match before you would be satisfied. I would say go for it if you're into what it takes to be satisfied!

Well I talked to my body shop and got a quote for the paint/fitting/install. With the price of this hood, shipping, and body work, I am looking at $1,500.00 to $1,600.00. Original I was quoted $1,110.00 just for the body shops work. I was able to get them down to $980.00.

I watched a video of a guy putting one foot on the hood, lean on it with his body weight, then start striking the hood with a sledge hammer, it had zero effect on damaging the hood, they also placed a bottle of water on a scale, it weighed 30 lbs. he then set it right in the middle of the hood with zero effect.

He proceeded to lift the bottle and set it down on the hood 5 or 6 times, there wasn't any flexing or movement of the hood. A competitors hood would drop about an inch each time the same water bottle was placed on the center of their hood.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2018, 05:55 AM   #4

Garage
Amerihood makes some nice pieces , and they use the stock hood hinges,
SUPER BEE likes this.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:12 AM   #5
Kevin

Garage
I was also thinking of getting a more aggressive style hood down the road. That looks like a good one! I was looking at Ram Air Hood by Fibertec. A guy on Instagram has one on his Ram that I like.

Check out my Ram truck feature page on Instagram @RamTruckAddicts and submit your truck pics.
BIG RED HEMI MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:50 PM   #6

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPER BEE View Post
Well I talked to my body shop and got a quote for the paint/fitting/install. With the price of this hood, shipping, and body work, I am looking at $1,500.00 to $1,600.00. Original I was quoted $1,110.00 just for the body shops work. I was able to get them down to $980.00.

I watched a video of a guy putting one foot on the hood, lean on it with his body weight, then start striking the hood with a sledge hammer, it had zero effect on damaging the hood, they also placed a bottle of water on a scale, it weighed 30 lbs. he then set it right in the middle of the hood with zero effect.

He proceeded to lift the bottle and set it down on the hood 5 or 6 times, there wasn't any flexing or movement of the hood. A competitors hood would drop about an inch each time the same water bottle was placed on the center of their hood.
I looked through several examples yesterday on the internet of trucks using that hood and they all looked very good! Several were yellow Rumble Bees - some with the dual black center stripes and some without.
Sounds like you should have a functional hood that performs well and looks great.
SUPER BEE likes this.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:11 PM   #7
John

Garage
I thought about going with a Carbon Fiber hood, as I thought it would be cheaper, until I discovered even those hoods must be painted. So that hood would be around $2,000.00 to $3,000.00 installed. I understand they require much more prep work than a steel or fiberglass hood.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:45 PM   #8

Exclamation

Actually Carbon Fiber would be my last choice even if it was the cheapest - yes it is strong, sexy and lightweight but it does require substantial fit and finish work as well as the hood must be pinned down to function properly. Unless you're doing an all-out race truck that requires maximum weight savings the CF wouldn't be worth the hassle in my opinion.

Your choice should do you very well - my choice although more subtle and not as sexy is the Reflexxion galvanized steel cowl induction hood.

Looking forward to seeing your new hood in combination with the great looking new grille effect.

SUPER BEE and ric3xrt like this.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:24 PM   #9
Gold-Member

Garage
This is the one I got from Suncoast creations a few years ago. It is very sturdy. The only problem is they have the business on hold for reorganization. The 2 screens are ducted to the louvers and the 2 scoops are ducted to the opening that sits right over my cold air intake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13175.jpg (47.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 13178.jpg (41.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 13002.jpg (46.0 KB, 5 views)
05 1500 SLT Quad Black on Black | Pace Setter Long Tubes | Magna Flow Cat Back | Doug's Electric Cutout | Custom Ram Air Hood | Spyder LED Tails | Spec-D Black Projectors W/Halos | Flex-A-Lite E-Fan |Jet 180 Stat | K&N CAI | 20 inch wheels | Comp 268 Cam W/6.1 push rods and springs | Diablo Trinity | Custom Tune by Charged392.

kcd1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:26 PM   #10
Gold-Member

Garage
There is another company out of Cali that sells one similar. Not sire about their quality though.
05 1500 SLT Quad Black on Black | Pace Setter Long Tubes | Magna Flow Cat Back | Doug's Electric Cutout | Custom Ram Air Hood | Spyder LED Tails | Spec-D Black Projectors W/Halos | Flex-A-Lite E-Fan |Jet 180 Stat | K&N CAI | 20 inch wheels | Comp 268 Cam W/6.1 push rods and springs | Diablo Trinity | Custom Tune by Charged392.

kcd1369 is offline   Reply With Quote