Not a very good day - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Trucks and Special Editions > 3rd Generation Ram | 2003 - 2008

Old 11-30-2014, 02:25 PM   #1
Gold-Member

Garage
Not a very good day

Not a very good day for me and the Beast.

Should not be doing this only a year or so from a complete rebuild.
Not sure what to do with it. Too much money into it to not fix it. But also too much left to get done. And more major engine work was not in the cards at this time. This stinks.

Any ideas would be helpful.

05 1500 SLT Quad Black on Black | Pace Setter Long Tubes | Magna Flow Cat Back | Doug's Electric Cutout | Custom Ram Air Hood | Spyder LED Tails | Spec-D Black Projectors W/Halos | Flex-A-Lite E-Fan |Jet 180 Stat | K&N CAI | 20 inch wheels | Comp 268 Cam W/6.1 push rods and springs | Diablo Trinity | Custom Tune by Charged392.

kcd1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2014, 05:16 PM   #2

Garage
Mine would not idle at all with the broken spring. You mentioned smoke - blown head gasket? Good luck, man. Not fun, I know.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:18 PM   #3
Greg

Garage
I feel your pain, I would start with a valve train inspection. Most likely a broken spring, maybe a push rod.. Good luck..

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2014, 09:32 PM   #4
Matt

Garage
What color is the smoke? White? Bluish? It kinda looked whiteish....hard to tell....a broken exhaust valve spring would cause all the symptoms you're seeing...it would cause misfires from low compression and let the fuel/air out into the exhaust before ignition past the partially open valve. Unburnt fuel could be the smoke you're seeing...I wouldn't go too far with it without farther inspection, could get uglier real fast. You could take the exhaust off the headers and see which bank the smoke comes from, that'll tell you which side to look at Hopefully it's just a simple valve spring and everything else is ok!

2011 Ram 2500 ST 4x4, 5.7L Hemi, crew cab, short box, 4:10 gear ratio with rear LSD, 180 amp alternator, tow mirrors w/ puddle and signal lamps, popular options group, carpet deleted, Ranch Hand front bumper, 9500# winch, pair of 100w KC lights, Magnum RT steps, Line-x sprayed bedliner, stampede o/e style fender flares, Ram branded oversize rubber mud flaps, stampede smoked bug deflector, Dee Zee toolbox

MANual_puller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:08 PM   #5
Gold-Member

Garage
Well, after taking both valve covers off and pulling each plug, I can say with certaincy, that none of the valve springs are broken.
And except for a little film on the plugs, I assume from it not running as smooth as it could, everything looked fine.
After reassembly, it ran (@ idle) for 45 mins. As smooth as can be. Then I took it for a spin around the block and it started to act up on and off. So, I don't know what to think now.

I guess I'll take it into my mechanics shop tomorrow and see if he can find anything. I'm thinking maybe something tranny related. Maybe touque converter.

I feel better and worse not finding a broken valve spring.
05 1500 SLT Quad Black on Black | Pace Setter Long Tubes | Magna Flow Cat Back | Doug's Electric Cutout | Custom Ram Air Hood | Spyder LED Tails | Spec-D Black Projectors W/Halos | Flex-A-Lite E-Fan |Jet 180 Stat | K&N CAI | 20 inch wheels | Comp 268 Cam W/6.1 push rods and springs | Diablo Trinity | Custom Tune by Charged392.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:29 PM   #6
Greg

Garage
If the trans fluid level isn't right on it can cause a idle problem.

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:33 PM   #7

Keeping fingers crossed it's nothing to major.

Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:29 PM   #8
Matt

Garage
That's good that it's not a spring! If it's not the trans, possible it's a bad coil pack?
2011 Ram 2500 ST 4x4, 5.7L Hemi, crew cab, short box, 4:10 gear ratio with rear LSD, 180 amp alternator, tow mirrors w/ puddle and signal lamps, popular options group, carpet deleted, Ranch Hand front bumper, 9500# winch, pair of 100w KC lights, Magnum RT steps, Line-x sprayed bedliner, stampede o/e style fender flares, Ram branded oversize rubber mud flaps, stampede smoked bug deflector, Dee Zee toolbox

MANual_puller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:13 AM   #9

Garage
Hi kcd1369

I kn ow it sound simple but recheck ll you r vacuum lines. Also if you have a code reader hook it up and do live data. That might give you another idea of where to look.

Good luck and hope you get it sorted.

preachp
Acts 1:11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.
preachp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:22 AM   #10
Gold-Member

Garage
And it continues... the shop couldn't get anywhere. (Sounds like BS to me) Says that it is too far from OEM to diagnose it. I don't think they really wanted to. To many easier jobs to get to for them. I need to find another place that I can trust. Problem is, I don't know anyone around here that can refer a shop or tech. I don't know if I should be driving it any kind of long distance.

I'm going to pick it up later and drive it around for a while today and tomorrow to see how it is. Maybe if it is OK Ill make it to the Christmas party over in Orlando and see if Charged392 can tell whats wrong with it.

this is really giving me the blues.