Need Help - 2003 2500 - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Trucks and Special Editions > 3rd Generation Ram | 2003 - 2008

Old 12-17-2015, 10:08 AM   #1

Need Help - 2003 2500

I just bought a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 HD 5.7 Hemi 4X4 and I'm having the hardest time trying to figure this out. I bought the truck about 3 weeks ago and was running fine. The engine light was on due to a crankshaft position sensor along with the air bag light, and ABS.
The problem is I have a crank no start.
I've already replaced the knock, cam, and crank sensors along with a throttle body. It runs perfectly when it wants to but only starts sometimes. It did die out on me twice before I did all the work and now will not die even at idle. It will go above 5000 RPMs but sounds like there is a quite knock. I just installed a new fuel pump along with a PCM. The fuel filter wasn't dirty only a few specks of black but nothing to be worried about. I checked all the wires and ohmed out the cam sensor to the PCM and everything checks out fine. The injectors are not spraying but fuel pressure is above 50 PSI.
It seemed there was a remote start put on the truck but was taken off because they had no clue what they were doing because there was a re manufactured PCM replaced in May. I already checked all the O2 sensors only 2. The battery is fine along with alternator. Just changed all 16 plugs as well. I have mid grade gas in it because I wanted to flush what ever he had in it out. The truck doesn't have security either because it is a base model ST. I've checked all the grounds and it is all good. Only thing I can think of now is the PCM is defective, a wire is broke somewhere from the cam sensor to the PCM or the timing chain has stretched (worn out holes in the plates and the pins may have gotten thinner). Any Ideas. At first before everything I had a knock, cam, and crank senors codes. The sensor isn't responding to the computer thus it won't start. I do see white smoke coming from the exhaust even at OT (operating temp). I thought maybe head or intake gaskets but it doesn't relate to the cam sensor not responding. Doesn't start hot or cold only when it wants to.

Tstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2015, 10:37 AM   #2
Greg

Garage
Welcome to the world of 03's. The 03 unfortunately have a history of broken valve springs, I would remove the valve covers and carefully check each spring. Or pull one plug from each hole and do a compression check. Between the compression check and looking at the spark plugs you should be able to figure out what hole has a problem. Intermittent starting is usually associated with battery, grounds, crank sensor or wiring. Keep posting and we will try to help...

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:46 AM   #3
Greg

Garage
Reading your post again, The commonality between the sensors you mentioned is a 5vdc signal. This 5 volt comes from the PCM. Look at your manual and check for the 5volts. There are two grounds, one is a clean (sensor) ground and the other is chassis ground. You might also try running an external ground from the TB to the engine and then to the PCM mounting screw. Do you have any mechanical noises?

HTC 2018 TOTY

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2015, 01:40 PM   #4
Queen Kima - Whemi BOD

Mrs.Studmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:47 PM   #5

It turns out when I re wired the wires to the cam sensor since 1 wire was broke. It showed a purple one for slot 1 when in all data it said white tan. Just had to go back on the wire about 7 inches. Now what about the valve Springs because I'm looking to take the valve covers off in the spring to clean and paint along with cleaning or buying new injectors. Yea it would be wise to do a compression test as well. Thanks for all the help.
Tstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:13 PM   #6
Greg

Garage
On some 03/04 there has been an issue with broken valve springs. Some have broken while idling and some at higher rpm's. Some have done no real damage and others have destroyed engines. This pertains to what I believe is a relatively small number of trucks. The good news is that the 6.1 exhaust valve is a excellent replacement and can be bought relatively cheaply. The 6.1 exhaust valve (16) is used for both int/exh springs on the 5.7. The spring and stem seals can be changed without taking the head off using a special tool and a air compressor.
Hemi Valve Spring Tool - SAHVST

This is only an example of the tool and there are many home made copies of the tool that sell cheaply. Glad you got her fixed. well done...

HTC 2018 TOTY

Old 12-17-2015, 04:09 PM   #7
John

Garage

SUPER BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 04:13 PM   #8

Thumbs up

Tstud

HemiFun05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:18 PM   #9
Gold-Member

Garage
To HTC!

Good find on that wire.
05 1500 SLT Quad Black on Black | Pace Setter Long Tubes | Magna Flow Cat Back | Doug's Electric Cutout | Custom Ram Air Hood | Spyder LED Tails | Spec-D Black Projectors W/Halos | Flex-A-Lite E-Fan |Jet 180 Stat | K&N CAI | 20 inch wheels | Comp 268 Cam W/6.1 push rods and springs | Diablo Trinity | Custom Tune by Charged392.

kcd1369 is offline   Reply With Quote