Issues after fuel pump change. - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Trucks and Special Editions > 3rd Generation Ram | 2003 - 2008

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Redtruck-VA

Old 10-25-2019, 08:58 AM   #1

Issues after fuel pump change.

Morning all. It's been a long time since I've visited the forum. The old Ram has been pretty good to me. Till now. A while back I had to replace the fuel pump. I needed it right away so I found one locally at Auto Zone I believe it was. Dropped the tank and replaced the pump. Right away I noticed it taking a second or two longer start. Then things got worse. After some time and especially in the mornings, it'll crank, fire then idle very rough for a while. Once in a while it would crank, fire, stall then fire right up. I figured possibly a bad pressure reg. on the pump so I intend to change it out again.
I'm also getting codes PO 128 (thermostat) and PO300 (misfire) and I'm most recently, losing mileage. Using the onboard computer as reference I've always had 11.4 around town and about 15-16 Hiway. Now I'm getting about 10 & 13 respectively. I'm wondering if if the misfiring could have damaged an injector or could a bad thermostat cause it to run that rich ?
I realize I need to check fuel pressure and as soon as I can borrow one and I will but does anyone have any thoughts or can point me in a direction to solve this ?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Billet grill (upper & lower).
Power wire. 4" homebrew cai (sprayed black w/ gold pearl).
Hemi-hat sprayed blk w/gold pearl & orange insert.
Taylor Thundervolt longs in red
Billet fuel door. replaced single disc player w/6 disc R.D.S. 2" soft dome tweeters added to dash. Halo plugs. 60" LED brake light bar. Whl-well liners. Stainless "Dodge" door sills. OEM molded mud deflecters. Manik s.s. taillight guards. Leer cap w/ in-cap mounted marine stereo & 1200 watt power inverter.
ipmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2019, 12:46 PM   #2
Greg

Garage
I would agree, it sounds like a bad pump. The 05 should have 58psi at the fuel rail. What thermostat are you using? Any change in engine temperature?

1956 Jeep Pickup Hemi powered "Street Rod project"

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:22 PM   #3

Redtruck, thanks for the reply. I did pick up a new thermostat just haven't put it in yet. It's a 203 degree. As far as a drop in eng. temp. i don't know but Code 128 reads temp below threshold. What's throwing me is the sudden drop in mileage. I was getting the same codes before the drop and thats why I was thinking possibly a sticky injector. Truck runs great otherwise. Just cracked 182K a while back. Any thoughts on a reliable brand of pump?
Oh and here's the other thing that has me a little confused. My build sheet says a 34 gal. fuel tank but just below that is option YGPA "Additional 2.5 gallons of gas". So do I have a friggin' 36.5 gal tank, or a 34 ? The only pumps I see are for a 26, 34 or 35. i liked it better when you could use a match book to set the the points. Lol
Anyway any more help you or anyone else could throw in would really be appreciated.

Billet fuel door. replaced single disc player w/6 disc R.D.S. 2" soft dome tweeters added to dash. Halo plugs. 60" LED brake light bar. Whl-well liners. Stainless "Dodge" door sills. OEM molded mud deflecters. Manik s.s. taillight guards. Leer cap w/ in-cap mounted marine stereo & 1200 watt power inverter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2019, 06:44 PM   #4
Greg

Garage
Believe there are only 34 and 26 gallon tank in the pickup trucks. The 35 gallon is a 1 ton saddle tank. I would look on RockAuto to see what brands are offered. The thermostat code often gets thrown when the engine is slow coming to temperature. If it is sensing a cold engine it could be running rich.
ric3xrt likes this.

1956 Jeep Pickup Hemi powered "Street Rod project"

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 01:20 PM   #5

THERMOSTAT.jpg Finally got around to swapping out the thermostat. Here's what I found when I removed the old stat. The brass diffuser (?) had come off and was still in the housing. Did it happen when I pried out the stat. or was it already off. I think it had come off prior to being removed. Guess I'll never know for sure. Also you can see the rubber liner is pretty destroyed. Haven't put enough miles on it to know if the mileage picks back up. We'll see.
Now I just have to replace the fuel pump before the weather get's shitty.
Thanks again for you're input Redtruck-VA

Old 10-29-2019, 06:11 PM   #6
John

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipmarine View Post
Attachment 44876 Finally got around to swapping out the thermostat. Here's what I found when I removed the old stat. The brass diffuser (?) had come off and was still in the housing. Did it happen when I pried out the stat. or was it already off. I think it had come off prior to being removed. Guess I'll never know for sure. Also you can see the rubber liner is pretty destroyed. Haven't put enough miles on it to know if the mileage picks back up. We'll see.
Now I just have to replace the fuel pump before the weather get's shitty.
Thanks again for you're input Redtruck-VA
The pictures here show what my Tstat looked like upon removal when I replaced it with a Jet 180* Tstat. As I eased it out of the housing the brass piece fell out. Never seen one this bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Original Thermostat2.jpg (48.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Original Thermostat3.jpg (49.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Original Thermostat4.jpg (48.6 KB, 1 views)

SUPER BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:14 PM   #7
John

Garage
The crazy thing was that my engine never overheated or ran hot, completely normal temps. I only replaced it because my tuner suggested to go to a 180* Tstat for better performance. Glad I replaced it right then instead of later.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:55 PM   #8
Stu

Garage
That's crazy..
Ghost03hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:48 AM   #9

Well, I kept getting PO128 which says engine is below temp threshold. The stat I just removed is only a couple of years old. Defective? I guess so. I'll clear the codes and see if still comes back.

Old 10-31-2019, 04:06 PM   #10
John

Garage
Hope that sorts the problem for you, good luck.