Hemi Truck Club banner

Hemi brake Hydroboost Setup Conversion Questions

15K views 70 replies 19 participants last post by  ric3xrt 
#1 ·
I am looking to do a Hydroboost setup for my truck. I see Weedahoe has done it but I was seeing if anyone else has crossed over to it?

What are the Pros/Cons of this Setup?

This is my Pro/Con list
Pro:
-Better braking power
-More room in the engine bay
-Getting rid of the big brake booster

Cons:
-More complicated setup
-Stopping power without the truck running, but from what I have seen it does have an emergency feature.

#2 ·
This is a good mod IMO. I'll have to start watching for bits and pieces..

#3 ·
The ONLY bad thing about this mod I can think of is that if you were to ever blow a power steering line(very rare) you would lose your brake booster too since they would be using common fluid/pump. You'd still have brakes but you'd really have to stand on it. Doing this mod removes places to develop vacuum leaks and makes plug changes easier. It's a reliable system, not that the vacuum assist isn't, but I'm in the camp that hydraulic assist is actually a simpler system once you figure it out than vacuum assist.

#6 ·
I've read that there is some kind of safety feature in the system that gives you pressure for an emergency stop if it happens. A snapped v belt would have te same effect too.

On the other hand if a vacuum line comes of on the vacuum booster you got the same situation. I'm running hydroboost and is one of the best mods to do IMO.

#8 ·
Did a bit of research, seems to me that hydroboost is 'safer' than a vacuumbooster. If you lose vacuum for some reason (popped hose, exploding intake manifold, :) you know the regular hemi stuff) you would lose power brakes.

Hydroboost systems have an accumulator (checked the manual and there is mention of an accumulator in a dodge hydroboost system), apparantly the accumulator gives you 2 or 3 power brakes.

Bit of info I found on the net:

Source:

="http://books.google.be/books?id=5...g#v=onepage&q=hydroboost accumulator&f=false"

#9 ·
Yes hydro boost has an accumulator for 2 maybe 3 stops. Vacuum boosters have the same feature there is a check valve that stores the vacuum for 2 maybe 3 stops.

Hydro boost Deff gives you more stopping power pressure wise thou

#10 ·
I need to start gathering parts apparently. This is a good mod IMO.

#11 ·
Yeah I am trying to buy a setup for less than $150. I found to guys locally parting out their trucks. One said he will sell it to me but he had an engine fire and things it is bad. I told him I will probably pass on it then. The other guy said he let a guy pick it up to get some parts off but I doubt he will see that truck again :) lol, some people are just to dang gullible.

#13 ·
Does anyone know if a power steering pump from a Cummins bolts right in place on the Hemi? If not, can you get away with just swapping the tanks for the return fitting? I found a guy that has a truck with motor issues(700,000 miles will do that:eek:) he's parting out near me....

#14 ·
:popcorn:

#15 ·
No need to swap the power steering pump, the stock hemi pump works fine. All you need is the hydroboost unit. Make sure when you buy the hydroboost setup it comes with all the hoses.

The only problem I ran into when installing the hydroboost was that I couldn't find the fitting to connect the hydroboost hose to the power steering pump (if I'm not mistaken the fitting is easily available in the US check weedahoe's movie), I solved it by having a hydraulic shop put on press fittings to join half the original hydroboost hose to half the original hemi power steering hose.

Fitting I couldn't find:

My solution:

#16 ·
:thumb:

#18 ·
Found a guy about 10 miles from me that will sell me the hydrobooster, master cylinder reservoir, and three hoses for $150.

#21 ·
Go to car-part.com and enter your zip code and search for any 3rd gen Dodge Ram 2500 or 3500 diesel brake booster. You have many, many options. I checked for you.

#23 ·
Thanks, I found a few in the area I am willing to drive to. The only things is I will need to call and see if when they say complete they mean everything I want hoses and all. If not I am going to be back in the $100 range after I buy the hoses.

I am thinking I might want to add the Hydroboost system to my 07 Dodge Ram 1500. What year span will fit on my truck. I have found several used units from 2006 thru 2009 model 2500 trucks. Are all Gen. 3 models interchangeable?:ermm:
Third Gen is from 02-08.

Reactions: SUPER BEE
#24 ·
Just talk to my wife I think I might have to put this on the dang back burner. I just paid off $15k in debt and we have more to go and I would rather put that towards the debt, plus I wrecked my truck and I still need to get it fully fixed. I am putting the cart before the horse, and I need to slow down. I will still keep checking in on this thread and see how things are going because I am going to do it.

#27 ·
Should be picking up a hydrobooster complete with mastercylinder and 3 hoses for $150 on friday. Will update you all if I get it.

#29 ·
Been trying some new tunes lately wich led to some idle problems wich led to stalling when I come off the throttle at speed. I can confirm the brakes still work properly with a stalled truck!! Power steering not so much though lol :):)

Anyways to be clear, the brakes work the same with a running engine as with a stalled engine. (at least for one stop)

#30 ·
Anyone do a write up on this install yet? Seems like if it is such a good setup, Ma Mopar would put it in all the trucks? Wonder why they haven't??? From what I am reading here you just need the hydrobooster, master cylinder and 3 hoses, am I correct? Reason I ask - maybe I can see about making a kit for this installation for you guys, ready to install.

#33 ·
...Seems like if it is such a good setup, Ma Mopar would put it in all the trucks? Wonder why they haven't??? ...
Vacuum booster must be cheaper, so only the Cummins gets the hydro booster. Cool mod, though.

#31 ·
#32 ·
Dodge doesn't use this on every truck simply
Because it costs more to make and is not needed for light duty. It's sole purpose was originally for diesels since they have no vacuum and has since been adopted to 2500 up trucks with tow/hd options. The biggest advantage of the hydro boost is for towing especially down hill when you need brakes a lot as long as the motor is running the brakes will always work great sine they are not relying on eng vacuum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.