Goodbye Gray Draggin'? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Trucks and Special Editions > 3rd Generation Ram | 2003 - 2008

View Poll Results: Trade or no?
Trade it 3 23.08%
Keep it 10 76.92%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2015, 10:14 PM   #1
Matt

Garage
Question Goodbye Gray Draggin'?

Ok, need some advice folks. As some of you know there is a new little girl coming at the end of July We've been able to get by with the mitsubishi and have used the regular cab in a pinch but it absolutely will not work any more with 2 kids. Still owe some on it and don't need a second payment or a third vehicle for that matter. It's just not looking practical for us to keep the 3/4 ton reg cab, especially since I'm not on the farm anymore. I found a '06 1500 Hemi 4x4 with 4 doors with 40,000 more miles than mine(126,000 on it), mine has 87,000. The truck is in remarkable shape cosmetically for a northern truck. Do I pray that the Mitsubishi holds up for another year until my truck is paid off or do I take the gamble on this other truck and have 2 vehicles that the family can take everywhere. The '00 Mitsubishi is getting a little tired with 147,000 miles, has worn valve guides, puffs a little blue at startup but I still don't need to add any between changes. I'm leaning towards trading off the 2500 for the 1500. My wife doesn't seem to care either way lol

2011 Ram 2500 ST 4x4, 5.7L Hemi, crew cab, short box, 4:10 gear ratio with rear LSD, 180 amp alternator, tow mirrors w/ puddle and signal lamps, popular options group, carpet deleted, Ranch Hand front bumper, 9500# winch, pair of 100w KC lights, Magnum RT steps, Line-x sprayed bedliner, stampede o/e style fender flares, Ram branded oversize rubber mud flaps, stampede smoked bug deflector, Dee Zee toolbox

MANual_puller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2015, 10:20 PM   #2
Matt

Garage
The truck I'm looking at has more power options than mine, it's a bighorn where mine is an SLT, 35x12.50x20 mud tires, fender flares, spray in bedliner. It's silver in color also. I'll probably test drive it tomorrow night as the guy that has it needs to get it through his shop for a tune up(plugs, filters, fresh oil) and rear tranny seal leak.
2011 Ram 2500 ST 4x4, 5.7L Hemi, crew cab, short box, 4:10 gear ratio with rear LSD, 180 amp alternator, tow mirrors w/ puddle and signal lamps, popular options group, carpet deleted, Ranch Hand front bumper, 9500# winch, pair of 100w KC lights, Magnum RT steps, Line-x sprayed bedliner, stampede o/e style fender flares, Ram branded oversize rubber mud flaps, stampede smoked bug deflector, Dee Zee toolbox

Old 06-15-2015, 07:45 AM   #3
Gold-Member

Garage
Sounds like a descent deal. You know what to look for on these trucks. So go through it real well before making the final decision. If you can swing the cost of the new one without selling the Draggin, keep them both. But if not, the family always comes first.

Thats what happened to me with my brand new 85 Dakota. Son #3 came along, and the truck turned into a mini van, then I got stuck with the wifes old GrandAm since she was the one running the kids around. But wventually I got back to a truck. Much better then the first.

Good luck whichever way you decide.
05 1500 SLT Quad Black on Black | Pace Setter Long Tubes | Magna Flow Cat Back | Doug's Electric Cutout | Custom Ram Air Hood | Spyder LED Tails | Spec-D Black Projectors W/Halos | Flex-A-Lite E-Fan |Jet 180 Stat | K&N CAI | 20 inch wheels | Comp 268 Cam W/6.1 push rods and springs | Diablo Trinity | Custom Tune by Charged392.

kcd1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2015, 08:07 AM   #4
Matt

Garage
Thanks David it has 4 new tires on it and the front ball joints and alignment was done then too. Front end is tight it'll come down to the test drive and how much it'll cost me lol I can hope he'd even trade but definitely need to keep it under $1500. He already said that he wants my truck because he thinks he can sell it fairly quick so I may have a little bargaining leverage

Old 06-15-2015, 08:55 AM   #5
Greg

Garage
Hemi with a manual trans will sell very quickly You have a lot of leverage. Of course you will regret selling it later. Good luck..

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:50 AM   #6
Matt

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtruck-VA View Post
Hemi with a manual trans will sell very quickly You have a lot of leverage. Of course you will regret selling it later. Good luck..
Oh, believe me, I know lol I've been trying really hard to find a complete roller from down south to put my drivetrain into, these 3rd gen ram trucks just aren't dying yet or they just get junked.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:29 PM   #7

Garage
Keep it at least until it's paid for...................................... Then, if you still want a different truck you will be in a better bargaining position.

http://www.hemitruckclub.com/attachm...epic3972_3.gif
ROLLING THUNDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 04:47 PM   #8
Matt

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLING THUNDER View Post
Keep it at least until it's paid for...................................... Then, if you still want a different truck you will be in a better bargaining position.
It's more need than want driving this idea.....I want to keep my toy lol if my Mitsubishi were to die, it's 15 years old, we're up a creek without a paddle if that happened the truck would have to go then anyway...until Liz starts working again, one payment is all we can handle I'd rather do it proactively and have some bargaining power than be in a pickle.....

Old 06-15-2015, 05:00 PM   #9
Matt

Garage
And to keep the truck and just replace the Mitsubishi when it croaks, I don't think I can get as lucky with another cheap($3000) beater vehicle like I did with the Mitsubishi, it really has been good to us the last 2.5 years and it continues to run alright but it does have me worried because it does burn a little oil and something in the transmission feels a bit off from time to time.....I've put close to 30,000 on it since I bought it lol

Old 06-15-2015, 06:07 PM   #10
Slow Memeber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANual_puller View Post
it continues to run alright but it does have me worried because it does burn a little oil and something in the transmission feels a bit off from time to time.....I've put close to 30,000 on it since I bought it lol

Sounds like my ram lol