Hemi Truck Club banner

Engine help

3K views 26 replies 5 participants last post by  HemiLonestar 
#1 ·
My 2005 ram 2500 5.7 Hemi engine blew up, found a built one for a good price out of an 2007 ram 1500. Will it bolt up and everything or not. Thanks for the advice

#2 ·
As long as both engines have the same reluctor wheel count, the accessories can be removed from the original engine and bolted on the replacement engine. The change over year I believe is 09. 08 and older is 34 tooth and newer is 58 tooth.

Reactions: ric3xrt
#3 ·
What did the 07 engine come out of ? if it's another 2500 you are good to go, if it's out of a car/jeep the front cover needs to be changed,also you'll have the MDS to deal with, not an issue just pull the MDS solenoids out and replace with the plastic plugs.

Not sure about the 1500s in 07 if they had the MDS.

#9 ·
Keith's right , the MDS solenoids don't need to be removed , just unplugged...

#11 ·
As you have stated the 03-05 coil packs have a diferent plug than the 06+. These coils use to be called 6.1 coil. Considered an upgrade by many. I would follow the harness back to it's next plug located at the rear of the engine driver's side and see if the newer harness will plug into it. If not then cut the plugs off and solder them to the old harness. This is what I did... there are two wires to each plug. One is a common ground and the other is specific to the cylinder. The other solution is to use your 03-05 coils and valve covers on the newer engine.

#12 ·
As you have stated the 03-05 coil packs have a diferent plug than the 06+. These coils use to be called 6.1 coil. Considered an upgrade by many. I would follow the harness back to it's next plug located at the rear of the engine driver's side and see if the newer harness will plug into it. If not then cut the plugs off and solder them to the old harness. This is what I did... there are two wires to each plug. One is a common ground and the other is specific to the cylinder. The other solution is to use your 03-05 coils and valve covers on the newer engine.

That’s what I was trying to figure out I don’t have the harness for the new motor

#13 ·
#15 ·
Hey guys and gals I have an issue with the new motor I put in now I have an 2005 dodge ram 2500 5.7 hemi that motor blew up I got an 2007 dodge ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi as well. The motor is in bolted up nicely now I have a major oil like that seems its coming from up top but it runs down the left side of the bell housing and just pours out the bottom it only does it after the truck runs for about 15-20 mins. It didnt do It until after I put the rad back in and filled it does any one know what it could be? Thanks

#16 ·
What is the substance? Engine oil? Trans oil? Coolant?

#24 ·
#22 ·
My money is you have a leaking valve cover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.