Any mods from 04-07 that can be applied to an 03? - Hemi Truck Club
 
Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Trucks and Special Editions > 3rd Generation Ram | 2003 - 2008

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-31-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
Tom
 
BadassBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cody
Posts: 60
Any mods from 04-07 that can be applied to an 03?

I am just curious if there are any modifications or upgrades to the 04 through 07's that can be applied to the 03?

I had considered buying a new intake manifold to put on my new remanufactured engine and discovered that they are now equipped with the EGR, even for the 03's. You have to buy the EGR separately.

BadassBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-31-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
Greg
 
Redtruck-VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 18,998
Garage
Not sure what you are asking. But I use 06 dual coils on my 03. As for the actual intake manifold, I believe you should stick with the 03 manifold. CAI's are pretty universal to a point. Trans mods, converters rear ends are the same. If you understand the differences in the exhaust design you can even switch that around.
__________________
2003 RCSB, 2wd, "Pro-Street"
6.4L/cog driven V7-Ysi/46rh trans/HTH Truckarm coilover suspension. HP Tuning...

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:20 PM   #3
Tom
 
BadassBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cody
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtruck-VA View Post
Not sure what you are asking. But I use 06 dual coils on my 03. As for the actual intake manifold, I believe you should stick with the 03 manifold. CAI's are pretty universal to a point. Trans mods, converters rear ends are the same. If you understand the differences in the exhaust design you can even switch that around.
I suppose I could have worded it better. Did they make any significant improvements to the later models that could be incorporated into the 03?

The intake manifold changed, from what the dealership told me. The original 03's didn't have EGR and now all of the manifolds for 03's include the EGR port and you have to buy the EGR valve itself separately. That was a major reason I didn't go ahead and buy it.

My other one cleaned up nicely, so no big deal on that. Although I have to say, I was shocked that it was plastic. It's been a long time since I had my hands that far in to an engine and the last time I installed an intake manifold it was an edelbrock and a 4 barrel Holley carburetor on my 1976 Trans Am.

Like I said.. mechanically inclined and technically ignorant. I have a lot to learn about these newer vehicles.

I do want to add that I sincerely appreciate the help!
BadassBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-31-2014, 05:38 PM   #4
Greg
 
Redtruck-VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 18,998
Garage
It is indeed a continuing learning process which is part of the fun of it. Actually the manifold being composite is a good thing as it resist heat soak. 06 exhaust valve springs are pretty much the standard upgrade with a cam or not. There have been a problem with some 03/04's having the originals break. I don't like having the waste spark wires and use the 06 dual coils. Personal choice..
__________________
2003 RCSB, 2wd, "Pro-Street"
6.4L/cog driven V7-Ysi/46rh trans/HTH Truckarm coilover suspension. HP Tuning...

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:14 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cochrane, Alberta
Posts: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadassBlues View Post
I suppose I could have worded it better. Did they make any significant improvements to the later models that could be incorporated into the 03?

The intake manifold changed, from what the dealership told me. The original 03's didn't have EGR and now all of the manifolds for 03's include the EGR port and you have to buy the EGR valve itself separately. That was a major reason I didn't go ahead and buy it.

My other one cleaned up nicely, so no big deal on that. Although I have to say, I was shocked that it was plastic. It's been a long time since I had my hands that far in to an engine and the last time I installed an intake manifold it was an edelbrock and a 4 barrel Holley carburetor on my 1976 Trans Am.

Like I said.. mechanically inclined and technically ignorant. I have a lot to learn about these newer vehicles.

I do want to add that I sincerely appreciate the help!
They are wrong. '03 trucks have no means to control the EGR solenoid nor is the passenger side exhaust manifold ported for EGR. I don't believe any 2500 Hemi truck had EGR on it, maybe ask for a manifold for those.
__________________
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 White Crew 4x4 8-speed 3.92 axle.

Sold: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Turbo, Nitrous Alcohol Injected 392 Hemi
FrostKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:45 PM   #6
Tom
 
BadassBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cody
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostKing View Post
They are wrong. '03 trucks have no means to control the EGR solenoid nor is the passenger side exhaust manifold ported for EGR. I don't believe any 2500 Hemi truck had EGR on it, maybe ask for a manifold for those.

You are likely correct. The dealership parts dept. here is less than stellar. Also, searching for this part online is highly ambiguous as there are few places that even stock it and descriptions are vague.
BadassBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:26 PM   #7
2012 Truck of the Year
Engine Specialist
 
charged392's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fort pierce, FL
Posts: 17,234
Garage
If your factory manifold is working why change it the 2003-2008 use the same manifold onl diff is the egr hole is drilled on 04-08 1500 models. They all make the same hp and torque. Vale springs I suggest upgrading especially if you add a cam.
__________________
"CMR TUNER" [email protected] 1/4 with a 7.32 1/8 custom long/short bars by "Me" Turbocharged 392 on 9psi S475/96/1.32 . Running thru an A518! [email protected]
charged392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:39 PM   #8
Tom
 
BadassBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cody
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by charged392 View Post
If your factory manifold is working why change it the 2003-2008 use the same manifold onl diff is the egr hole is drilled on 04-08 1500 models. They all make the same hp and torque. Vale springs I suggest upgrading especially if you add a cam.
I had two major blow outs. My power steering blew fluid all over my engine. Then when my engine blew, it got oil everywhere. It was a real mess. As I was cleaning the truck and parts when the engine was out, I decided to replace a few as this was the ideal time.

The manifold was caked in sludge. Power steering fluid makes a sticky glue like residue. The design of these manifolds is really annoying from a cleanliness perspective. The have ridges and pockets covering the entire top. I figured it would be easier to just buy a new one. I opted to clean the original however and it took 4 hours with a small brush and solvent. I was advised to leave the carbon alone ( which was excruciatingly hard to do because I get OCD while in project mode) so I just cleaned the top and the wiring harness. It ended up looking great, so I'm happy.
BadassBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:47 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: WC FL
Posts: 56
Why not clean the carbon out?
03TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:04 AM   #10
Truck of the year 2014
 
Belgiquebasterd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Belgium
Posts: 640
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadassBlues View Post
I am just curious if there are any modifications or upgrades to the 04 through 07's that can be applied to the 03?
I would say that the biggest upgrade was the swap from seperate PCM/TCM modules to to single module, wich gives you trans tuning, idle conrol, rpm limiter control,...

Greg, what's the advantage of the dual coil system compared to shorty wire system?
__________________
Christof Matthys - 2003 2x4 QC Ram hemi - 0-60: 5,4 sec @ 6900 pounds - tuned by Charged392 - 392 stroker - vararam - Flexalite Efan - 170 T stat - Taylor shorty wires - pacesetter headers - true duals - evap delete - airco delete - truetrac lsd rear diff, 3.92 gears, T56 6 speed manual - homebuilt rear axle flip - Charged 392 design longbars - energy suspension poly bushings - michelin contisportcontact 275/30 R20 - 2/4,5 drop - hydroboost swap - srt front 4 piston caliper swap - PLX Devices AFR, fuel pressure, OBDII logger

Belgiquebasterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Premium Vendor Showcase
n2 Speed Edge InTune Edge OCPerformance Parts

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.