Hemi Truck Club banner

4X4 Shift Lever Problems

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  ArcticWolf 
#1 ·
Apparently my aged 15 yr old DAYTONA is starting to give me some new headaches and scared the crap out of me this evening...

Got into my truck to go pick my wife up from work and found that my 4x4 shift lever was in the 4 W Low position, I"m like WTF?

Ok.. so I go to move it back to 2H and find that it just flops back and forth like it's not connected to anything.

I don't know if the shifter is connected by linkage or cable, I have never seen or heard of this happening to anyone..

Tried to look it up on YouTube on how to fix it but apparently I can't find the right video, it's transmission this, transmission that but nothing on the 4x shift level..

Any idea's?

#3 ·
I did some checking after posting and I saw that, they have a complete new kit (3 pieces) for about $18 on Amazon, gonna order it today but I need to get my son or his friend to help and change it, I can't get under the truck anymore.. comes from being an old fart...

LOL

#4 ·
Hokay...

So I got the replacement bushings from a local part store, my son was assisting me by going under the truck to change them and we learned about 1 issue that I did NOT!!!!!! know about..

THE FREAKING TRANSFER CASE SHIFT LINKAGE WAS COMPLETELY GONE! BUSHINGS AND ALL!

HUH?????????????????

Yup.. had to take the bushings back and LUCKILY they had a complete kit in stock.

Replaced everything, hope to God that the shifter is in the right place...

Plan to go out in a bit and test it...

If I don't come back?

At least you know why...........

#6 ·
Yea it was, both my son and I were a little leary about the replacement, wondering if the weld or the bolt for adjustment is going to come loose or break off..

Damn Dodge wants about $100 for the bushings and linkage rod..

Got it at ORileys for about $40

#7 ·
So, how'd it work out for you? I lost my linkage on my 03 many moons ago. i just got under it and shifted it manually into 2H until I got the replacement parts. My 05 is 2wd so none of those issues. But also no 4X4. :facepalm:

#8 ·
As long as I didn't move the transfer case lever it was still in 2H, it was a little pain at first putting in the new bushings and shaft, trying to get the floor shifter in the right spot but we finally did it and all seems ok. Waiting for the first rains that are supposedly to come this weekend and that's when I'll have to use it - 4H - because I can't get any traction when the grounds wet from a stop and I constantly have to use it to just take off. New tires and still no traction on wet ground.. LOL

Nice thing though is that sometimes I can spin all 4 on wet ground...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.