Hemi Truck Club banner

3.73 vs 4.10s

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  ric3xrt 
#1 ·
I've been looking around for some input and most posts I find are of the newer 6.4 hemis. I got an offer to trade my half ton for a 2003 ram 2500 qcsb 4x4. It has 5.7 hemi and auto trans. The guys grandpa ordered it with 4.10s and I've been tossing around whether I'd want 3.73s or 4.10s. I'd say 90% of my driving is empty but when I pull somethin my silverado just feels too weak for the job. I got a pretty light foot but I was wondering what kinda mpg everyone averages with either gears. Does the truck kick down a lot on hills with 3.73s or is it pretty smooth with either? I cant imagine the difference is much but I havent owned a hemi before. My truck now gets 15mpg average so I figure a 2500 wont be much worse if any. Thanks

#7 ·
Welcome to tje forum. 4:10 gear should work good you..

#10 ·
my Ram has 3.73 and it pulls my 10,000 lbs jus fine, mpg wise i avg 14-15 but i have seen 19 doing 65 mph on the highway, i avg 8-9 mpg towing travel trailer. i will say i wish i had the 4.10 instead of 3.73 and the reading i have done that the mileage between the two is close. but i really want to go upto 4.30 for my overlanding and towing goals.

#11 ·
My experience, around town I didn't notice any change , on the highway dropped about 2 MPG on short highway trips.

Reactions: Redtruck-VA
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.