towing with superchip - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Towing, Hauling and Hitching

Old 02-17-2008, 03:11 PM   #1

towing with superchip

Iv towed my jeep/trailer combo weighing about 6000pounds. The truck did ok so I now have a superchip and was woundring if I set it on trailer mood, do I still pt the truck in tow/haul?

slowsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2008, 03:34 PM   #2

towing with superchip

I believe so,.. and make sure you are running 91. The SC tow tune just holds your shifts longer..
mudchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #3

towing with superchip

SC tow and 87 tune are identical to the last digit of binary code. The only difference is they want you to run 91 octane to keep from detonating under heavy loads. They just set it as two different settings to have the 91 disclaimer. So if you have the 87 tune and run 91 you're fine to tow. I wouldn't tow with the 91 tune though.

KB
KB112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2008, 01:08 AM   #4

towing with superchip

From DodgeTalk.

Quote:
quote:--dodge3471-- I have uploaded and compared all three tunes in a calibration editor and the 87 octane and the towing tunes are exactly the same for spark advance and AFR. The reason they recommend 91 for the towing tune is because when towing the engine is under a heavier load and is more prone to spark knock. The way they set it up keeps a guy from towing with the 87 octane tune and 87 octane fuel. When towing you are essentially using the 87 octane tune with a minimum of 91 octane fuel per SC's. The 87 tune is in fact over sparked for 87 octane because they have added even more spark advance than the stock 89 octane calibration and they have leaned out the AFR as well. If you don't believe this then I suggest you put some 87 octane in your tank and program SC's 87 octane tune, then find someone with a dealer scan tool and perform some WOT runs while viewing short term and long term spark knock retard on the scan tool. The PCM will be retarding the timing due to spark knock even though it may not be audible spark knock or pinging. They make believe that there are three different tunes when in fact there are only two. 33% less work for them. If you still don't believe me then make some dyno runs with the 87 octane and towing tunes. The results will be exactly the same.
Quote:
quote:--SHADOW QUAD CAB-- I'll enlighten you.

OK here's the deal, dodge3471 is absolutey 110% correct about the programs being identical!! I spoke with the guys over there yesterday. Lets get this out first, the guys over there are not trying to scam, mislead, or deceive to anyone. You guys are lucky Ron even commented on this thread because most of you are just itching to get a verbal attack going about a great product that no one can deny makes your Hemi quicker.

With that said, Superchips began to create a tow program and as the program was being developed and tweaked it became more and more similar to the 87 tune. So much so that it was not worth the time, effort, man power and money to pursue developing the program any further and was basically abandoned and replaced with the 87 tune and renamed the tow program. Now the reason you are given the 87 tune under the tow program name is for the simple fact it tells you to run 91 octane when using the tow program. If you are running the 87 tune and running 87 octane and towing a trailer you ARE going to get detonation. Its basically there to let you know that you should be running at least 91 octane when you are towing something to avoid detonation and possible damage to your motor. By doing this, it releases Superchips from liability and the users own negligence by not running the correct fuel.

As you guys know, Superchips is constantly making updates and this could change where the 87 and tow tunes could be completely different, not say that will happen but it could. Furthermore, let me just say that this is not the case for all their tuners across the board, it's just the way it worked out for this one and is subject to change. You guys have now idea what Superchips has comming down the pipe but let me assure they are nothing but good. BTW Superchips is well aware of this thread from the moment it started, they are a sponsor of DT and do watch all the boards.

I hope this puts all of your inquiries to rest and we can move on to the next topic like when are we getting the next major update??

And I would just like to say dodge3471 you were correct all along and I apologize for doubting you Thanks for setting us straight!!

SQC :rck:
KB112 is offline   Reply With Quote