Hemi Truck Club banner

Towing

7K views 30 replies 9 participants last post by  charged392 
#1 ·
HI, I am new just posted this question in new member, give me some time and I will figure this site out.

I have a 2003 Hemi 4x4 V8 3.73 Quad cab 48,000 miles and I pull a 3 horse gooseneck trailer w/LQ 6480# My horse is 1,000# my wt. limit on pulling is 8700.
QUESTION: When pulling hills I want my OD off right? and on when going down hill? Do I also need to shift down to 2nd when going down if trailer seems to be pushing me? I am new to this hauling a heavy trailer.
Any help please.
Thank you.

#5 ·
John, I think you got the idea right, but the terminology backwards. OD is normally ON and then manually can be turned off on the 03. For heavy hauling or racing and playing hard it is best to turn the OD off. Never do a WOT downshift without first turning off the OD. To have a 3:73 gear I'm assuming you have a 2500. Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: J. McD
#6 ·
Use tow haul of you have it and let the truck do it's thing. Going up big hills it will never hit OD from load demand. Going downhill tow haul will downshift and eng brake itself sorta. If you don't have tow haul run OD off unless on a long nice straight road at cruise then turn back on.

#12 ·
Yes Greg Redtruck-VA, My OD is a button I turn on and off. Sometimes if I am going up a steep hill and I go to give it more gas my truck will shoot up the RPMS and lurch forward this has happened a few times and scared the heck out of me, truck is in excellent working order, the best track record anyone would want if I was to sell this truck it is a heavy duty 3/4 ton, what am I doing wrong?

What is WOT? Never do a WOT downshift without first turning off the OD.

#15 ·
Yes Greg Redtruck-VA, My OD is a button I turn on and off. Sometimes if I am going up a steep hill and I go to give it more gas my truck will shoot up the RPMS and lurch forward this has happened a few times and scared the heck out of me, truck is in excellent working order, the best track record anyone would want if I was to sell this truck it is a heavy duty 3/4 ton, what am I doing wrong?

What is WOT? Never do a WOT downshift without first turning off the OD.
WOT is "wide open throttle" like passing a car on the highway.

Greg, another question: Do you think the trailer is too heavy for the truck?
What if I take 2 horses each weighing 1,000 LBs?, plus my gear, water, another passenger? Thank you.
I don't know the towing capacity of a 2500, But things like over heating engine or trans would be the first indicators it is over loaded.

#16 ·
I have a towing package on my 1500 (1/2 Ton) truck. i have hauled some loads over my advertised weight limits a few that were almost double. (remembering I am in FL w mostly flat roads) Towing weight wasn't my problem, stopping that weight was the main problem. So when i went heavy I made sure the trailers had electric trailer brakes and that helped me out.

Now my mpg went way down the heavier I got, but as far as power i never had a problem.

I would not suggest at anytime to go much over the specified tow weight. But I was doing this for FEMA trailers and to help people that had lost their homes during some bad hurricanes we had in FL.

What I am saying is I don't think you are even close to your tow weight with 2k of horses and what another 1k of gear? unless that trailer is very heavy.

#17 ·
Originally Posted by J. McD View Post

Thank you Greg for your info on what WOT means. Getting back to my question, what am I doing wrong when my truck is doing this? I know there is an answer somewhere. if you cannot tell me what I am doing wrong could you refer me to someone who can?
I live in Wa. Eastern side of the mountains and to get to the trails we sometimes have to climb. Thanks.

#18 ·
Does it do a hard down shift even when you have the O/D turned off?

#19 ·
Greg,
Thanks for your input.
Originally Posted by J. McD View Post
Greg, another question: Do you think the trailer is too heavy for the truck?
What if I take 2 horses each weighing 1,000 LBs?, plus my gear, water, another passenger? Thank you.

This hauling 2 horses would only be once in awhile. I am usually hauling by myself and my horse. My trailer does have brakes and I have learned to stay far behind another car and with this new trailer which weighs 6480 lbs to start slowing down very early. Usually do not have anymore than 20 gals of water in my 40 gal tank unless I am going somewhere where I cannot get water. 1-2 bales 85 lb each My truck limit 8700 lbs horse 1000 lbs. In fact I got better gas mileage last time I went camping fully loaded go figure than I do, did not have to climb to steep of a hill. Thanks Greg.

#21 ·
I calculate you are running around 8,850 LBS, so if it was my truck, I would leave OD turned off. I use a SuperChips Cortex Tuner, I would install the tow tune, as long as I was towing a load, as power would increase, and the trans. shift points would be changed to improve towing a trailer.

#22 ·
Turn the O/D off when heavy towing and climbing, that should keep you from having heavy downshifts. If it is really steep carrying a load and it really wants to go to a lower gear, then I'd slow my speed and manually down shift to second and hold 2500-2800 rpm. Watching temperatures. I'd use 91 or 93 octane to reduce the possibility of fuel knock and having the related timing pulled. If you have a hand held tuner, I'd try the tow mode which will reduce timing again helping with any possible knock. There is no trans tuning available for the 03 generally speaking. And if there still a problem and you want to keep the truck I'd consider changing gear ratio to a 4:56 which should solve all the current issues you are having. Good luck.

#26 ·
Wouldn't hardly notice that load behind my truck....I've been waaaaaay overloaded before without any problems. I've had 11 silage bales (about 2000# a piece) on a 5000+ lb gooseneck trailer behind my hemi. Truck and all I was probably close to 35,000#. I've also sled pulled a dozen times and the sled by itself weighs 30,000#. Downshifting will also help save brakes, also, if you know you are coming to a hill that you think you could be pushed a little it is usually good practice to crest the hill slower. Some hills around here, with 20,000 in tow, I have to top the hill at 30-35 mph to keep it under 60 at the bottom without using a ton of brake. Biggest thing is remember to take your time while towing. You can't stop as quickly for that annoying turd burgler that cuts you off. I always figure I won't run anyone over if they're driving faster than I am :thumb:

#27 ·
MANual_puller thank you for your advise, lord knows I can use all the response's. LOL!

Is your truck Diesel? Mine is Gas and I get 7 miles to the gal pulling the trailer 6 miles to and from our local riding arena 12 miles total stopping 5 stoplights. The last trip I took loaded w/ only me and 1 horse mostly flat driving I got 10 miles to the gal. 20 gals water.

#28 ·
2006 2500 4x4 5.7L Hemi, 4:10 axles and a G56 6 speed manual transmission. Towing with a diesel is too easy....I like to keep things interesting....that and sled pulling with diesel trucks is a little out-of-hand expensive :thumb:

#29 ·
Oh I see you have a manual. My last Dodge had a manual, got tired of shifting, sold it and bought the one I have now. We ordered it new in 97 and when I sold it 3yrs ago it had 38,000 miles. I only used it for pulling my last 2 horse Sooner trailer Gooseneck.
So you see I do not go on many long hauls. Now that I am retired and just turned 65 I plan on more camping. Just hard to find people that like to do what I do and are my age.
My hubby still works and does not ride. Would love to go to AZ. in our winter months, just having a hard time convincing the hubby. LOL!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.