Question for the Dodge tech's Ben67 and HemiRam - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Towing, Hauling and Hitching

Old 04-05-2005, 08:57 PM   #1

Question for the Dodge tech's Ben67 and HemiRam

Have you guys seen any 2500's in for the death wobble issue as discussed here
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22327

I have it ..and I think one other member with a 2500 has it as well. Sometimes when I hit a sharp bump at hwy speeds the two front tires feel like there going to fall off the truck had it check by the dealer and a independant shop and both said no problems found . The dealer keeps telling me that's normal for the 2500 with the load range E heavy tire..they said even our shop 2500 plow truck does it ..that's not acceptable. Can you guys shed any light on this annoying problem

5SpeedHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2005, 09:27 PM   #2
*Damn*its*gotta*Hemi*

As a moose owner, with no past problems I'd like to know about this since I do tow long distance.. Have had no probs yet..
Old 04-05-2005, 09:36 PM   #3

Oh and I may add its been doing it since I got the truck new..I can pretty much control it by having more air in the front tires..but then the ride is harsh.. and I shoulnt have to run 60 lbs all the time.. Max is 80 for these tires

oh and D*I*G*H if you ever get it.. it will scare the **** out of you ..I think it was more common on the 4X4 units though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2005, 11:41 PM   #4
*Damn*its*gotta*Hemi*

I keep my tires pretty highly aired for gas mileage. But also cause I forget to let the air out after towing.. I really dont wanna know about this! lOL
Old 04-07-2005, 07:38 AM   #5

I haven't seen any DR 2500s with the wobble. I remember GrandCherokees that would do that. On those the track bar would wear or the sterring stabilizer was usually the culprit. The guy on the Dodgetalk forum said they had a lift.

Does it continue to shake till you slow down or what's the duration of it? I would suggest that any wobble/shake in the steering is not normal. Other than the stabilizer or track bar maybe an adjustment to the alignment may help even if it's "in spec". I'll check some sources today and post back later.
Ben67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:14 PM   #6

Thanks for the reply Ben. I don't have any lift done and it has done it since new.. if I have lots of air in my tires 65-75 lbs avoid sharp bumps on the hwy no problem ..it only does it at around 75-90 mph range but when it did happen it would shake the truck to the core. felt like the front end was going to fall off like one tire was coming up while the other was going down very rapidly out of sync then gradually settling down as I slowed down ..very scary feeling..think ill bring it back in to the dealer and deal with this head on.. this shouldn't happen
Old 04-07-2005, 07:23 PM   #7

If you don't get any satisfaction try another dealer. Also have you had the alignment checked? If you have could you get a copy of the printout from the alignment machine and scan and post it here so I could look at it? If I would suggest going to a quality aftermarket alignment shop and haveing checked and aligned and get a copy of the printout so I can look at it. If you were in the ATL area I'd tell ya to come see me and we'd get it figured out.

If all else fails you may want to escalate this to the DM or the tech rep. A call to customer service at DC explaining the situation and a request to meet the DM or tech rep at the dealer to investigate would be the way to go there.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:22 PM   #8

Thanks Ben I did have a top notch alignment shop last fall have a look at the truck.. they said it was perfectly within spec ..they had a brand new rack and were very professional only problem I didn't get a print out.. Ill just go to the dealer and have it checked again ..ill let you know what goes..it will be a different dealer this time
Old 04-08-2005, 06:49 PM   #9

Well I found some time to research the subject some today and found a solution that may help.

Hope this helps ya

staronline.txt (4 Kb, 12 downloads) solution
Old 04-08-2005, 08:01 PM   #10

Ben thank you very much Buddy.. I will bring that with me to the dealer.. and this time I will get this matter taken care of..will let you know what goes