Needed: Advice To Tow A Car Trailer - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Towing, Hauling and Hitching

Old 05-20-2017, 10:38 AM   #1
Jim-CO Chapter Dictator

Needed: Advice To Tow A Car Trailer

The wife and I are off for a little road trip to California. This little road trip of ours is with purpose. If this works out to be show quality, I am hoping to acquire my dream ride. I have always wanted one when Mopar first placed them on the market in 1970.

So

We are taking the HEMI truck. This will be my first time I have been behind the wheel while towing a 3770# car on a 2200# rental trailer. I can't tell you how many times I towed a cargo trailer out of AZ to CO. So, there is a tiny bit of experience on my end. However, this trip will be different. I have ran the numbers on trailer and payload weight. I am somewhat below the max. So no problem there (I hope). I know that I am not the only one on this forum that towed a car trailer over some distance or even a short distance. What I am looking for here is some advice, or words of wisdom, on anything. "Anything" being driving habits with this special cargo, to tying down this special cargo, to anything? It would be greatly appreciated!

BTW - 99% of you have probably guessed the ride and I would post a photo of it. The problem, since I have not acquired it, is that I don't want to jinx it. The more low key I keep it, the likely I will see it without the idea of first come first serve. In other words, money talks and all others will walk and I am 1000 miles away.

Old 05-20-2017, 02:39 PM   #2

Your truck will tow that payload no problem, but there is an issue with tongue weight and height with (U-Haul) rental trailers. Believe it or not, I had no issue with scraping the hitch by looking at the picture. I towed from Tacoma,WA to the Mojave Desert in SoCal with no issues. After this run I did install air bag helper springs and the next move was better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0205.JPG (14.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-20-2017, 02:51 PM   #3
Greg

Garage
I tow my truck a little. Yours I would recommend the air bags and make sure the trailer brakes work like should.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160916_163615_001.jpg (89.4 KB, 8 views)

1956 Jeep Pickup Hemi powered "Street Rod project"

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2017, 08:40 PM   #4
Kevin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtruck-VA View Post
I tow my truck a little. Yours I would recommend the air bags and make sure the trailer brakes work like should.
Especially when towing upside down... ha ha!

Check out my Ram truck feature page on Instagram @RamTruckAddicts and submit your truck pics.
BIG RED HEMI MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:19 AM   #5

YOU CAN DO IT. Why don't you fly in one way and drive it home?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8595k5.jpg (78.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 05-21-2017, 04:09 AM   #6

Well if the vehicle is truly that top notch I'd certainly look into finding an enclosed trailer for the journey if that's feasible but it's going to incur a lot more weight which may require a heavier duty tow vehicle., I always cursed those random hail storms in May and June in the Denver area of CO.

Cross ratcheting is your friend when you go to tie down. And one always hopes it goes without saying but tie down on chassis, not body. I'm sure whatever the vehicle is, you can find more informative opinions on where and how exactly to tie down on other forums. Hope you get what your looking for!

2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD Laramie MegaCab 4x4

BTeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:26 AM   #7

Garage
Cross tie down, as mentioned above, on that long of a trip, try to remember the car is behind you....I know that sounds obvious but you would be surprised at how many wrecks happen because someone towing, forgets that they have an extra 22+ feet behind them.
ric3xrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:36 AM   #8

Thumbs up

- post pics too
HemiFun05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:46 AM   #9
Greg

Garage
I cross tie the rear, in the front I have a "Y" strap and pull it tight with the wrench. Then I use an additional safety strap on the front just encase the winch should loosen. I have never had a winch failure, but I don't trust them for hold during a pull. The car itself I put in neutral with the parking brake full on.. good luck with your tow..

1956 Jeep Pickup Hemi powered "Street Rod project"

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:49 PM   #10
Kevin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTeves View Post
Well if the vehicle is truly that top notch I'd certainly look into finding an enclosed trailer for the journey if that's feasible but it's going to incur a lot more weight which may require a heavier duty tow vehicle., I always cursed those random hail storms in May and June in the Denver area of CO.

Cross ratcheting is your friend when you go to tie down. And one always hopes it goes without saying but tie down on chassis, not body. I'm sure whatever the vehicle is, you can find more informative opinions on where and how exactly to tie down on other forums. Hope you get what your looking for!
I totally agree with an enclosed trailer!!

Check out my Ram truck feature page on Instagram @RamTruckAddicts and submit your truck pics.
BIG RED HEMI MN is offline   Reply With Quote