light issues - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Towing, Hauling and Hitching

Old 12-11-2007, 10:55 PM   #1

light issues

Ive been towing my car trailer for about 3 years, and it recently got to where the right side blinkers and brake light does not work on my trailer. I know its not my trailer cuse i hooked it up to another truck and it did fine. Ive tried both factory connectors on the truck and neither will work. Any ideas on what it could be. Oh and i have an 04 1500 ram hemi quad cab.

Hemiap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2007, 05:08 AM   #2

Garage
light issues

You should check the truck side wiring for your trailer wiring.

Any grey or green connections will increase resistance and cause problems.

A good spray contact cleaner on the plug connector and then diaelectric grease helps a lot.

Good luck.
D500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:12 AM   #3
&quotRANCHER&quot

light issues

If everything on the truck works and the trailer works on another vehicle it has to be a plug/connection somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2007, 09:11 AM   #4

light issues

There is a specific trailer light fuse in your fuse box. I don't remember the number but it is on the back row closer to the firewall. I made Lowe's order me 2 enclosed trailers before I figured that one out. OOOOOOPS My bad
CHEMIGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:28 PM   #5

light issues

See my first thought was a fuse, but i pulled every single one out and nothing. My next step is to replace the plug cuse tryying to find the bad wire will be alot harder. Thanks for all the info guys, Ill try the cleaner and see if it helps...
Old 12-14-2007, 01:59 PM   #6

light issues

I had the same problem on my old truck. Try checking all the connectors to the truck side of the plug. Mine had come loose (cheesy factory crimping at the plug). I just had to re-do the plug on my trailer due to the same type of issue.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:31 PM   #7

light issues

Thanks Fritz, Ill double check that while im down there..
Old 01-26-2008, 12:53 PM   #8

light issues

i had this issue. check the power at the connector, the trailer harness on these trucks runs strait to the fues box, the brake and turn for the left and right on the trailer are controlled by a fues then a relay, the fuse is replacable, the relay is NOT. its built into the fuse box, and you have to replace the whole thing to fix it. pull the fuse cover and turn your flashers on. you can hear the relays. they should sound the same and mostly in sync. if ons bad it will be obvious if they sound different. i also pulled the fuse box apart, no way to replace just the relay.... shitty design!!!

i tried bypassing this and wiring in a tail light converter, you have to completly rewire the connector to get this to work as , at least for me, the tail light convertor caused a voltage drop. when i wired in only one light, the running lights that were still coming from the fuse box would over power the brake and turn, and defeating my would be fix.
txtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:32 PM   #9

light issues

Yeah I have still not been able to chase this problem down. I dont wanna take it to a stealership to charge me a ton to install some crap that may or may not work. Im thinking about just splicing some wires to run off my tail lights since i dont use trailer brakes I dont see that being a big issue.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:17 PM   #10

light issues

On my truck the right and left signals work on the trailer but the right brake light does not. Does this sound like that relay you can't change ?? If so, how hard is it to change that relay center ? Is it just a matter of unplugging the old one and plugging the new one in ?
Toolman74 is offline   Reply With Quote