Hemi Truck Club banner

Is this okay???? Please help!

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  rdsetgo 
#1 ·
When I tow my 5th wheel on the interstate the RPM ranges from 2500rpm to around 4100rpm. The speed is between 60mph-75mph. The RPM tends to stay in the upper 3000 range most of the time. I live near the mountains so the grades are long and plenty. Coming back from an extended trip today I noticed the Transmission temp was steady around the 220 range. I tried the tow/haul switch but that seemed to make the RPM's even higher and the shift was around the 4200-4500 range and then went to 2000 and immediately back to 4200. I fear I doing major damage to my transmission.
What would be a "normal" range of RPM for a setup like I have? I don't know, maybe a 3/4 ton is in my near future if I want to keep my 5th wheel.

Do any of you have advice or a possible solution? I thought about a tuner card but then the question is which one and will it really help?

Here is my setup. 2009 SLT Quadcab 4x4 5.7L Hemi with 3.55 gears. Tire size LT275/65R20.

All help will be greatly appreciated as long as it doesn't tell me my truck sucks and I need to buy a diesel.

#2 ·
It sounds like your truck is a bit light for what you are asking of it. But I would rcommend slowing down to a steady 55mph and run with the O/D off. No prolong 4000> pulls. The 3:55 gear is your main problem and a 4:56 would solve most of you tow problem. Good luck...

Reactions: dkurban
#8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to look at 3/4 tons today. I should be set by the middle of the week.
Try to find a 2012 or older if you want to mod your truck... EPA fixed so that 2013 and up you can't really do the good mods to them!

#7 ·
thats all i do when im movein the travel trailer. take my time...but i dont see those rpms...3400 was the most i seen and that was slightly gaining speed on a hill.22-2300 was usually enough to hold speed on many slight hills and up grades.

#9 ·
This may not be a very popular reply on the HEMI forum...but to me it sounds like you really should have a diesel truck. Every time I tow my camper, I wish I had gotten one. How much does your camper weigh?

#10 ·
There a few of us that have went to the Cummins on here! But I still own a HEMI in the wife's 2013 Durango!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.