Installing Class IV hitch? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Towing, Hauling and Hitching

Old 08-31-2007, 11:24 PM   #1

Installing Class IV hitch?

First I have to apologize to everyone for getting rid of my beautiful Hemi Mega Cab....but on the bright side I have now moved up to a Cummins deisel Mega Cab. I want to replace the Class III hitch with a Class IV hitch. The truck came from the factory with the tow package and the hitch is part of the bumper beam on the back. I am told that I will have to replace the bumper beam with one without the Class III hitch welded on. I have also been told by the hitch place that no one else has been able to locate one of these. Any ideas?

P.S. I have a weight distribution system but my tow hauler weighs about 15K pounds fully loaded (why I went from Hemi to Cummins) and the Class III with weight distribution is only rated at about 10K

Mega Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2007, 03:20 PM   #2

If it came from dodge, it should be rated at 5000# for weight carrying and 12000# with weight distribution.
All the aftermarket one's I've seen have been 5000-6000# WC and 10000-12000# WD. And are usually the small bolt on to the crossframe behind the license plate.

Beyond that, I think you'd need to go 5th wheel.
JonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:53 PM   #3

Garage

The factory hitch on my 1500 Reg Cab is a Class IV. and it is listed as that on the window sticker.
Phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2008, 07:57 PM   #4

yeah I got my hitch put on at the dealer and it is a class IV so dodge can definately get get it. It was not a lot of money either maybe a couple of hundred.
lew puckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:22 AM   #5

I did just the opposite, and with no disrespect for the HEMI - the CTD I traded whipped the HEMI into the ground and I am SOOO sorry I traded for this 5.7. Diesel at $3.95 yesterday and 89 OCT at $3.16 made me do it. With that, my CTD had a class IV on it. I added a class III to the HEMI but am having it replaced with a class IV and it's going to cost me $116. ed
semlohde is offline   Reply With Quote