I can't hear myself think - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Towing, Hauling and Hitching

Old 04-22-2008, 08:17 PM   #1

I can't hear myself think

I have a Borla SI/DO that exits infront of the rear wheels. When towing my camper in certain RPM/Engine load ranges the cab noise is unbearable. This set up is 1000X's better than than when I bought the truck though, the tails used to exit under the bumper with 3.5" X 18" megaphones. I've read lots about this here and on the other forums. Would a single 3" ran in the stock location with a turbo muffler make the head aches stop? I've read that several of you were going this route, any results? Also, I'm thinking of swapping the 392's out for 410's or 456's any thoughts? TIA...Jason

M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2008, 08:21 PM   #2

Did you have a front resonator? Some have said that helps the cab noise. There is another thing you can do with aftermarket parts too. Someone will be along to help soon. to another Virginian and
Dan O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:45 PM   #3

Hmm I dont know anyone running a resonator with a dual out infront of the rears im sure it can be done though.Towing and drone noise seem to run hand and hand and since yours is exiting infront of the rears it must be deafening in cab under load im sure an exhaust expert will help you soon

05 Hemi mineral gray QC/SB Laramie/Edelbrock(T.E.S)mid-length headers with Stage 8 locking bolts and Mopar header gaskets/Mopar CAI/Superchips Flaspaq/Aeroturbine 3030 muffler and 3040 exhaust tip/limited slip anti-spin rear with 3.92s/20inch stock chrome clad rims and tires/Moes traction bars/Hellwig rear swaybar/SRT-10 A-pillar gauge pod/Hemi Sport body kit with bolt on hood scoop and Daytona dual exhaust sill cut out/Hemi bedliner and coming soon SRT-10 22's ,SRT-10 hood and carbon fiber taillights
Silveradohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2008, 01:45 PM   #4

THE DUAL OUT IS FINE, I HAVE A FLOWMASTER SUPER 40 AND ITS NOT THAT BAD, BUT IF YOU WANT IT QUIETER, TAKE THE TAILS AND RUN OUT BACK, PUT A 10" GLASSPACK IN THE BACK PART AND THE NOISE WHEN TOWING WILL PROBABLY BE SOO MUCH BETTER, IVE ALSO SEEN GUYS TAKE A PIPE AND EXIT OUT EACH SIDE BEHIND THE WHEELS AND THE MORE PIPE THATS 1 SIZE IS WHAT KEEPS EXHAUST NOT TOO BAD, IF YOU GET MEGAPHONES ETC OR INTO LARGER DIA PIPE BEFORE THE END IT ALLOWS THE NOISE TO RESONATE AND GET LOUDER, JUST MY .02
brand_x_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:57 PM   #5

Something else to keep in mind too. If you run the pipes out the back, definately think about running them behind the tires, not straight out the back. Your legs will thank you when hooking up the trailer and it will stay cleaner too.
Dan O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:22 PM   #6

brand_x_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #7

Garage
Also delt with the in cab drone

First I installed a Magnaflow SS cat back single on my 04 Ram Hemi QC without the rear resonator, did this while on vacation in FL. The drone was so loud my wife made me put the stock tailpipe, with resonator, back on before driving home to MD. After a couple of years the Magnaflow split all the way around, front and rear seam. Then I installed a Borla cat back single, no resonator, the drone was not as bad as the Magnaflow, but between 2000-2300 was still fairly loud, but the Borla sounded awesome out the back. Talking to Borla they admitted that there was nothing they could do, it was simply inherent with the Hemi engine. I tend to believe them because every Hemi I've rode in, with modified exhaust, has the drone. I now have a 2013 Sport that comes with a performance exhaust, sounds pretty good, no drone inside, my wife says I need to leave it alone for now
It all depends on how much drone you can live with. Forgot to mention, both systems exited right side behind the wheel.
2013 Sport, Quad, 4x4; hemi, LS rear, Xtang full tilt; Extenda bed; EZ-down; Mopar SS step rails

(traded)04 Hemi; Qcab; 4x4; 3.92LS; Borla cat back; Roadmaster active rear suspension; XTang full tilt tonneau; Westin black on SS steps; Line-X under rail; full tint; modified front tow hooks;
howln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
Greg

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by M109Rrider View Post
I have a Borla SI/DO that exits infront of the rear wheels. When towing my camper in certain RPM/Engine load ranges the cab noise is unbearable. This set up is 1000X's better than than when I bought the truck though, the tails used to exit under the bumper with 3.5" X 18" megaphones. I've read lots about this here and on the other forums. Would a single 3" ran in the stock location with a turbo muffler make the head aches stop? I've read that several of you were going this route, any results? Also, I'm thinking of swapping the 392's out for 410's or 456's any thoughts? TIA...Jason
Hello Jason, welcome. Typically when running 3:92 gear the change goes to 4:56. There isn't much difference in the 4:10 for the money spent. As for drone, IMO, where the pipe exits has a lot to do with the loudness, but also the muffler location. Further the to rear the quieter.

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #9

Garage
Yeah you'll deff want to keep around the 3" and go back over your axle and get a quieter muffler, most people aren't crazy like me and put a 3" magnaflow y-pipe into an aero 3030 muffler and turn it back to dual exhaust and run 5" side pipes from behind the running boards to just in front of the rear wheels. Only thing that helped my drone be reduced is the fact I just have a standard cab and was already ruined by my 85 and pulling trailers with a small block and a 4 speed with the granny first and wide 4th, driving in the hills of Pa and the few cities I drove through.
09 Ram 2500 Reg Cab Long Bed SXT, 5.7L Hemi, Auto, 4X4, aFe Stage 2 CAI, Poweraid TB Spacer, Aero 3030 Muffler, Leveling kit, 285/70R17 Tires, Undercover Tonneau Cover, StreetGlow blue neons in cab, Aux back-up/work lights taken off a JD tractor, Dual Beam Off-Road lights behind grille off of a JD tractor with Hella H4 130/100w Yellow Stars

RescueRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:19 AM   #10
Farrrrrr East Coast

Garage
also keep the muffler back as far as you can, mine was ( no muffler now) right by the rear axle , offset right off the muffler to clear the axle. i have a rcsb and i had no drone, was a bit loud towing a travel trrailer but not a drone sound. plus my pipes are out the back

NewfieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote