Homemade Hitch - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Towing, Hauling and Hitching

Old 04-09-2005, 06:07 PM   #1

Homemade Hitch

I built my own hitch for 2500 Ram, thought i would post it. When i ordered my truck the factory receiver hitch didn't look as strong as i like it and i thought the $350 cost was a little too much so i didn't order it. It is hard to find an aftermarket hitch for Dodge because of the box frame design i found out later. The round tube under the bumper is a fairly good design as far as stock bumpers go, so i decided to bolt it in together with my frame mounted hitch i built. The side plates are 1/2" inch thick and extend 24" long up on the frame. The cross member is 2 1/2" square steel with double gussets on each end. The hitch plate is 3/4" thick and 12" wide with 3 holes for additional trailer knobs if needed. It has double 2 1/2" braces underneath. It also has 2 3/4" bolts welded upright that bolt through the factory bumper. A total of 12 5/8" bolts through the frame. It is double welded with 6011 rods first and then a wide bead with 7018 rods. Bought the steel from a steel scrap yard for 10 cents pound. I had to buy a little more than what i needed (you just have to take what they have no matter the size) but ended up only spending about $17 for steel. I made templates from cardboard, trimming it with scissors to fit the frame and mark the holes and them cut out the side plates. I now have a very strong hitch with low cost. I have never been a fan of hitch recievers, all of the weight is on the 1 hitch pin. If someone is considering building their own hitch maybe this will help. I have 3 pics of it.

Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2005, 06:10 PM   #2

Homemade Hitch

Another pic.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:33 PM   #3

Homemade Hitch

Last one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2005, 08:20 PM   #4
*Damn*its*gotta*Hemi*

Homemade Hitch

Nice design.. As far as I am cncerned I will never tow anything that is going to be able to break that hitch pin. Then again I have a fifth wheel, but would suggest even a goose neck for the best strength. Why not sell your design on EBAY to guys looking for the strength that you have made? YOu could get 300 bucks easy
Old 04-09-2005, 08:32 PM   #5
O.H.

Homemade Hitch

That hitch pin is rated for quite a bit of weight and I've never heard of one breaking before, but outlaw reminds me of my father who is a professional welding teacher and federally certified welder. He re-enforces everything with a stick welder
Old 04-09-2005, 09:14 PM   #6
*Damn*its*gotta*Hemi*

Homemade Hitch

Thats my grandfather and two of my brothers. Rather over do it than under do it..
Old 04-09-2005, 11:22 PM   #7

Homemade Hitch

Alrighty, where can I order mine at?
HEMI021 is offline   Reply With Quote