Heavy trailer for a short distance - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Towing, Hauling and Hitching

Old 02-05-2018, 08:59 PM   #1

Heavy trailer for a short distance

I have a 2009 Ram 1500 Laramie 44 and I am considering buying a 32' boat that weighed 10500 lbs when new. That was in 1989. The trailer adds at least 2000 lbs. I am using a planning weight of 15,000 lbs. I've looked at a lot of forums and most talk about operating temperatures. Since I will only be landing and launching the boat, I am not as concerned about temps as I am about diff and trans pressures. That and will the gears manage a short, but heavy pull up a ramp. Anyone ever done this or have any good war stories about someone who did?

Thanks

BIGWAMMERJAMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2018, 04:14 AM   #2
Board of Directors-Bill

Garage
Welcome to the Forum.

As long as you keep it in a Tow/Haul mode (lower gears) the transmission will be fine.
Just [email protected]

arocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:20 AM   #3
Queen Kima - Whemi BOD

Mrs.Studmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2018, 09:01 AM   #4
Kevin

Garage
You shouldn't have anything to worry about doing that. I agree with arocketman. Just resist towing it anywhere else with your half ton truck.

Welcome to the club!!

Check out my Ram truck feature page on Instagram @RamTruckAddicts and submit your truck pics.
BIG RED HEMI MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:39 AM   #5

Took a look for gas stations in the area and the closest is 5 miles. Given that the tanks on the boat take 300 gallons (1,800lbs) and I would save about $2/gallon when filling up versus getting gas at a marina, there is tremendous motivation to try that 10 mile round trip. I would probably play around in the parking lot a little to see how well the truck does, but top speed to the gas station would be only 35mph or slower.
BIGWAMMERJAMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:50 AM   #6
Kevin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGWAMMERJAMMER View Post
Took a look for gas stations in the area and the closest is 5 miles. Given that the tanks on the boat take 300 gallons (1,800lbs) and I would save about $2/gallon when filling up versus getting gas at a marina, there is tremendous motivation to try that 10 mile round trip. I would probably play around in the parking lot a little to see how well the truck does, but top speed to the gas station would be only 35mph or slower.
I personally wouldn't take a chance towing that much weight with a half ton, even 10 miles! You would be taking a chance spending the money you saved on gas repairing your truck. I would look into bulk gas delivery for your boat. I'm sure it's more expensive then driving to a gas station, but maybe not considering what could happen. Otherwise I would just suck up and buy it at the marina.

Check out my Ram truck feature page on Instagram @RamTruckAddicts and submit your truck pics.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:55 AM   #7
Kevin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGWAMMERJAMMER View Post
A boat that size would also be hard to maneuver at a gas station.

Old 02-06-2018, 03:31 PM   #8
Greg

Garage
What are the chances of parking your truck close the boat and fuel it from aux fuel tank? This would be a long term solution and save you from the 10 mile trip.

1956 Jeep Pickup Hemi powered "Street Rod project"

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:52 PM   #9
Kevin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtruck-VA View Post
What are the chances of parking your truck close the boat and fuel it from aux fuel tank? This would be a long term solution and save you from the 10 mile trip.
That's a good idea, but you would be spending around $2k on a 100 gal tank and transfer pump, plus he would need to take 3 trips to fill it.

Old 02-06-2018, 03:55 PM   #10
Kevin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtruck-VA View Post
Plus your truck needs to be DOT certified to transfer fuel.