First Mod: Limited Slip - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Towing, Hauling and Hitching

Old 04-02-2005, 02:02 PM   #1
Director Emeritus

First Mod: Limited Slip

Only had my '03 1500 4X4 HEMI less than two weeks, and after a quick run to my local Wal-Mart I realized that I've got to get a limited-slip rearend, which mine does not have. Going about 30 or so on wet pavement, I pushed her a bit and must have spun for 50-60 feet, no traction whatsoever. I know what you're going to say, but limited slip would make a big difference, probably why I was never able to get my '97 SLT to spin because it had one.

So, any ideas would be a help. Does the factory offer any kind of kit to parts to convert it to limited-slip? I've read that others have gone the aftermarket route with the kits, but are they really dependable and sturdy enough? What about just checking junk yards for an '03 wreck with LS? By the way, I have 3.55 gears.

Thanks in advance: Steve

HEMI-PUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2005, 02:41 PM   #2
Director Emeritus

Garage

You're probably running the 17" wheels, so the 3.55 rear end is okay... but while you are in there you might want to think about moving up to a 3.92. You can get the entire rear axle with 3.92 and LS for about $700-$800 (plus shipping) from our man Art (he works behind a Dodge parts counter). Let me know if you're interested and I'll give you his contact info.

There is also a lot of info on this site about this subject... do a search for "Limited Slip". I believe there are other options available to you that the search will provide.
MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 09:01 PM   #3
Director Emeritus

Thanks for the help MrHemi, but it'll definately be a while before I'm able to do this and get my limited slip. My preference would be to go the factory route, just to be sure it'll work right. Question: If my rearend is 3.55 and I changed to 3.92, wouldn't I have to change the front end also (it's a 4X4)? I'm content with the 3.55 primarily because I use it mostly as a daily driver and occasional light to medium duty towing.

Thanks again: Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2005, 09:04 PM   #4
Director Emeritus

Garage

That's fine... probably the best route to go is to keep the 3.55 then. Contact your service manager and find out how much it would be just to install LS. I'm guessing less than $700
Old 04-04-2005, 01:58 PM   #5
Director Emeritus

Thanks MrHemi. Well, I called my dealership and talked with the service department who are really super people. Unfortunately, the head of the service department got a chuckle out of it saying he's never heard of that being done before (changing to a limited-slip). A short while later, a friend of mine who works in the service department there, called me back and told me he checked with the parts department and they said that yes they do have a conversion kit to change from non-LS to LS. The kit is approximately $1,000.00 and about 6 hours labor/another $500.00.

Needless to say, I won't be doing that very soon if at all, atleast not at the dealership. So, I'll take my time and do my research, reading posts, etc., until I decide what to do about it. All I want is true LS, not a locker, so there must be a reasonable solution out there. MrHemi, I appreciate your offer to help and will keep that in mind. The price you gave me for the WHOLE NEW AXLE was cheaper than my dealers price for JUST THE KIT. Again, not an emergency right now, but hopefully by next winter before the snow flies.

Thanks again and I'll let you know what I decide: Steve
Old 04-04-2005, 06:13 PM   #6

I'm getting a factory limited slip installed in my truck later this week. One of the local mechanics around here can get the factory parts at cost. So with parts and labor I'm looking at 475.00. 290.00 for parts and 185.00 for labor. I also called my dealership and didnt have a clue as to what they were talking about, they said the only way I could get a limited slip was to change out the whole axle and it was going to cost like 2500 bucks. So this may be a option for you if you can find someone who can get the parts at cost.
proudhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 06:40 PM   #7
Director Emeritus

Garage

Wow... that is incredible. These "service techs" have never heard of changing out gearing? I would definitely go the route of a complete axle... the labor would be cheaper as well.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:21 PM   #8
Director Emeritus

Thanks guys and Proudhemi I will do lots of research and I will find a better deal, nothing like what you found, but I'll do ok. Keep us updated on your LS install and let me know how it works out for you, especially what differences you notice in performance, etc.

Just like my dealership, they never heard of it before, but now they've learned something new...

Thanks again: Steve
Old 04-06-2005, 06:47 AM   #9

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MrHemi:
Wow... that is incredible. These "service techs" have never heard of changing out gearing? I would definitely go the route of a complete axle... the labor would be cheaper as well.
Its not the service tech that never heard of it before..they have im sure, its the front end service clerks most not all ..are as clueless as they come about mechanical work
besides they just want to sell you on the most expensive way of doing it..and guys when you do get limslip your gonna love it just ask me and MrH
5SpeedHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 07:09 AM   #10
Director Emeritus

Garage

Yup...