Can my truck do it? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Towing, Hauling and Hitching

Old 01-10-2007, 03:33 AM   #1

Can my truck do it?

I have been asked by a friend if I can help him pick up a tractor/backhoe that he has just bought. The tractor weighs about 8000lbs and the trailer about 3000lbs. Altogether its about 11000. According to the dodge trailer specs, I can only pull 10k. Has anyone else pulled this much or even more weight with thier hemi's? The most I have pulled is around 8k or so and it did just fine. It was working the truck and eating gas like you wouldnt believe but it did it. By the way my truck is a quad cab dually with the tow package. Thanks in advance for the replys......Steve

CtHEMI3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2007, 06:03 AM   #2
Board of Directors (Jay)

Can my truck do it?

Come on Freeze. Answer the mans question.
Superjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:29 AM   #3
Director Emeritus

Garage
Can my truck do it?

If it's a fairly short trip, you should be fine. We have had members here that have towed more than their truck's rating with no issues.
MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2007, 10:18 AM   #4

Can my truck do it?

I would probably say that your biggest concern isn't going to be pulling it as much as it is STOPPING it. Just use your head when you start moving (don't stand on the gas) and you SHOULD be fine. But, you're gonna have to make that decision. I'd tell your buddy that you'll give it a shot, but, if you break anything, he's fixing it.

Dave
david_reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:28 AM   #5

Can my truck do it?

A buddy of mine has pulled a lot more than that with his 2500 diesel and a 5th wheel hitch. Like DR said, stopping is going to be your primary issue. Keep an eye on your tranny temp if you have a gauge.
Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:42 AM   #6

Can my truck do it?

Thanks for the replys everyone. I think Ill give it a shot. It is about 200 miles with a few hills. The trailer that I will be towing is in great shape and the brakes work fine. Ive towed a ton of loaded trailers before both with and without brakes so I know about being prepared to stop. I guess my only concern was about the hemi having enough muscle to get this load moving and keep it at highway speeds. I do not have a trans temp gauge yet. Does the trans temp warning gauge on the dash actually work when it heats up? I have personally never seen it come on ever. Thanks again for the responses......Steve
Old 01-10-2007, 04:43 PM   #7

Can my truck do it?

I believe the 10K rating is low, esp. with a fifth wheel or gooseneck. You can pull much more than that, esp short distances.

I know this is a Dodge (HEMI) site, but I'm going to finish my story anyway.

I worked for a guy hauling cars, my truck was a 2000 F-350 rated for an 11,000 trailer. We put over 500,000 miles on it (new engine after 300K, transmission after 425K) pulling a 21,000 lb. trailer from MN to the southwest (Phoenix and LA mostly), so lots of mountains. Over all that time, we broke a leaf, and had to ditch the aluminium wheels for steel (rears only) , but that truck was abused, and handled it just fine.

I won't post pics here cuz it's a Ford, but I will post a link:
Photos
Hasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:55 PM   #8

Can my truck do it?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CtHEMI3500:
I guess my only concern was about the hemi having enough muscle to get this load moving and keep it at highway speeds.
Are you kidding?

Actually, that is a valid concern. The Hemi will not be as good for this job as a diesel would be, but as long as you do not overwork it (by staying out of top gear) it should be fine. Highway speeds at 3k rpm is just fine. Even better if you have loud exhaust!

I have never seen the tranny temp light either, but I am sure it works just fine. Even my 1500 has a tranny cooler that is almost as big as the radiator, (I would tell you that "I am sure yours is bigger", but that will get quoted in the next post without the rest of the sentence )
Hasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:54 PM   #9

Can my truck do it?

I definitly have a big one Hasty.....Tranny cooler that is lol. Im going to give it a shot and report back here with the results. I wish I had the superchips programmer to firm up the shifts on the tranny but o well. I know that the diesel would pull this better but its hard for me to justify it when the hemi does so damn well for what I use it for. I should be doing this pull either this saturday or next saturday and I will let you guys know how it was. Thanks again...Steve
Old 01-10-2007, 09:40 PM   #10
&quotRANCHER&quot

Can my truck do it?

You want have any trouble pulling it. Just don't start off at 70mph and expect it to get good mileage. I've pulled more weight than that with my truck, but not for 200 miles and it wasn't at high speeds.
Keep an eye on the weather.. You sure don't want to hit any ice with a load like that.