Any decent replacement tires out yet for the factory 17's? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Towing, Hauling and Hitching

Old 01-14-2005, 05:01 AM   #1

Any decent replacement tires out yet for the factory 17's?

Just curious if any of you all, with 4WD's, have had to replace your factory Michelin 245/70/17's yet and if so what did you find available out there? I have them on my truck now and while they are decent tires, and I have no plans to replace them anytime soon, I am curious if this size tire has been picked up yet by other brands. I know when I bought my 03 Ram it had these same tires and Michelin was the ONLY company to offer them.

I do a LOT of boat towing this time of year for waterfowl hunting and thus experience a lot of snowy and icy boat ramps. Just yesterday I had a heck of a time launching the boat due to major ice on the ramp. Funny the water and marsh was completly clear and open but the parking lot and ramp was like an NHL skating rink. I hit the slope to start down the ramp and the truck took off like a shot. Luckily I am a veteran of such things and handled it okay.

I would like a better tire for snowy/icy conditions, and even for the muddy summer launches, than these "car" tires. I know ice is ice and I won't get a lot of improvement regardless of the tire I use but any help, and especially dealing with snow, would be great. Don't want to sacrafice a ton of streetability or tread wear though.

I know I am asking a lot but what I guess I am looking for is a compromise between getting better adverse conditions traction and not losing how great these tires are on the regular road and how long they last. I had some older Bridgestone Dueller's on my 97 Ram and those were great. Smooth and quite on the road with a long life( I got 60K+ )but they were really good off road as well. They do not even make those Dueller's anymore( current ones are redesigned ).

Again, just curious if any of you all ave found anything out there yet and if so what do you like? Think I will change them for next year's season as this one ends Feb 15.

Thanks. Oh, BTW, I am not interested in switching to a bigger rim/tire combo. The 17" rim size is fine I just need to find a better tire. Wouldn't object too much if I had to move up to a bigger 17" tire like those 260 series they put on but would prefer keeping the 245's so I don't have to mess with the speedo. Just not too sure if there are a lot of options in that particular size yet or not? I know when I last looked there was nadda

NHHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2005, 05:41 AM   #2
O.H.

Cooper Tires make the Discoverer S/T in the 245/17. I myself and switching to the Same model tire, but going to a 33X12.50R17. Right now, my truck has the 265/70-R17 Goodyears. Here's a link, you'll see they make the 245, 265, and 275's for our truck.
http://www.coopertires.com/us/en/Pro...ht+Truck+Tires
Old 01-14-2005, 07:07 AM   #3
shsuhemi

nitto A/T are good but i don't know any tire that can last as long as mich. they are just bad a$$ and they are the best. they do have some tire called cross terrian and they have more bite and have almost the same wear. just a thought
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2005, 06:06 AM   #4

Thank you.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:37 AM   #5

Was visiting at the dealer yesterday and stopped briefly to talk with the service manager. If I buy the factory 260 series tires he will flash the computer for me at no charge to correct the speedo!

Great guys down there. Guess I will go with the 260 series as there are a lot of good AT tires available in that size range.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:23 PM   #6
O.H.

Sounds like a good choice you're making. However, if you chose to take the time to do so, you might be able to find the tires of your choice somewhere else for much cheaper than the dealer, then have the dealer reprogram, since reprogramming the computer is rather inexpensive (roughly a half hour charge of shop time, about $20-35).
Old 01-22-2005, 02:18 PM   #7

BFG makes the A/T KO and M/T KM in 285/70R17, which is essentially a 33 x 12.50. Both models have been redesigned within the last year, resulting in substantial improvements in traction, mud-clearing, road noise, and tread life.
Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 02:20 PM   #8

Here's the new BFG A/T KO (more siping, more aggressive shoulder).
Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 05:10 PM   #9

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Officer Hemi:
Sounds like a good choice you're making. However, if you chose to take the time to do so, you might be able to find the tires of your choice somewhere else for much cheaper than the dealer, then have the dealer reprogram, since reprogramming the computer is rather inexpensive (roughly a half hour charge of shop time, about $20-35).
Actually, I didn't mean to imply that I had to/was buying the tires at the dealer. NO WAY! Too expensive. The dealer will do it for me at no charge if I bring the truck in after the change. Actually, I will probably have them mount and balance the tires and then do the speedo flash at the same time. Won't cost me any more than having the tire guy do it, and probably less,( I get mounting and balancing for next to nothing at the dealer )and this way the dealer gets something for their time doing the speedo flash.

Thanks though.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:16 PM   #10

Freeze;

I definitly have the BF Goodrich All Terrain tires in mind as a possible tire. Actually, they are about the best out there in my experience. Just awful darn expensive however and the prohibitive cost is a major deterrent for me at this time. I am also looking at Khumo, Cooper, Yokahama, and Bridgestone. Have had good success with all the tire mfg's above in the past and for a fraction of the cost of the BFG's. It just will all depend on what prices I can find, tread patterns and depth, and expected mileage when I get to it.

Going to stick with the factory tire size options however which would be 245/70-17( on truck but no AT's at this time in this size - just car type tires ) or the 265/70-17's. Believe they even offered a 275/70-17 on a few models but am not 100% sure?

If I go with the 265's then the dealer can just flash the computer without any special info. If I go with a non stock tire size then I have to contact the tire mfg to get rotation rates and then they need to do some stuff to flash it. The 265's will be fine. I actually don't want tires much bigger as my 80 year old Dad needs to be able to get in and out of the truck. Haven't bought the Mopar tube steps yet.

Again however, thanks.