Hemi Truck Club banner

Support the RPM Act at the 2016 SEMA Show

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  bada44 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Email I received about this issue. maybe this is not in the right place on the Forum there should be more participation from Members about this it could turn into a serious problem down the road.

Dear Mr. Guerra,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports (RPM) Act of 2016 (S. 2659). I appreciate hearing from you, and I look forward to addressing your concerns.

Under a now withdrawn proposed rule, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) was attempting to regulate racecars as motor vehicles under the Clean Air Act. The proposed rule would have regulated the alteration of streetcars into racecars and prevented the sale of aftermarket emissions-related parts. This regulatory change ran counter to historical Congressional intent which consistently excluded “vehicles solely used for competition” from regulation under the Clean Air Act.

In response to the EPA’s proposed rule, on March 9, 2016, Senator Burr (R-NC) introduced S. 2659.If enacted, the legislation would reiterate that the EPA cannot regulate vehicles used solely for competition (racecars); clarify that modifying a street vehicle into a racecar has always been legal; and state that modifications of these vehicles are not considered exhaust tampering. This legislation has been referred to the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee. The same legislation was introduced in the House of Representatives by Rep. Patrick McHenry (R-NC), and has been referred to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce.

Since the introduction of the legislation, the EPA withdrew its proposed rule. However, the regulatory clarifications under S. 2659 would prohibit the agency from proposing the same rule in the future, or regulating industry activities.

As a Floridian, I understand the importance of the automotive industry and racing as a great American pastime. The EPA’s attempt to regulate racecars as motor vehicles would place an unnecessary burden on racing hobbyists across this nation. For this reason, I am a proud cosponsor of the legislation. Please know that I will keep your thoughts in mind as the bill advances through the legislative process.

It is an honor and pleasure to serve Florida in the United States Senate. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact my office in the future.

Sincerely,

Marco Rubio
United States Senator
Each week I provide a weekly update on issues in Washington and ways in which my office can assist the people of Florida. Sign up here for updates on my legislative efforts, schedule of events throughout Florida, constituent services and much more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.