Hemi Truck Club banner

It's alive!

984 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Redtruck-VA 
#1 ·
I screwed up big time. My 02 Honda VTX been sitting for a couple years basically ignored. Turned out with only a little gas in the steel tank. Now you know where this is going. I pulled the tank and slushed gas around in it and dumped it out, yep a ton of rust particles came out. It's basically a tank inside a tank and the only way to reach even a small area is through the fuel pump hole. Slushed some more gas around and got more particles out. Put it together and it fired up and sounded good. Headed for the gas station running with only an occasional stumble. Filled it up and got about 100 yds and it was hardly running and wouldn't idle.
Bought some "Metal Rescue" which I read good things about and filled the tank up rotating it every few hours. That stuff really cleans up rusty metal and for a better word pickles the metal so it doesn't rust up again.
Slushed some more gas around and dumped it out with a dark tint to the gas. Cleaned what I could through the little hole and put it all back together. With new filter and a second filter added inline. Still wouldn't run. Changed filters again and installed new fuel injectors (ouch$) Still didn't run. Changed spark plugs as these were black. Changed the fuel regulator and it still didn't run. Poured some gas in it and guess what it ran! Apparently even though the gas pump cycled off it was low on gas. Off to the gas station to fill it up and it is running pretty good. Going to change the spark plugs again. I think perhaps the Metal Rescue residue I couldn't wash out contaminated the gas I was putting in it and coating the spark plugs preventing proper firing. Anyhow it's running and lessons learned is Metal Rescue is a great product that needs it's residue completely cleaned out before the tank is filled with gas. Don't leave a metal tank partially filled for any length of time. It's been a complete PIA and it was all caused by me not doing what I should have done to begin with. :banghead:
Good to be back on the old horse.

See less See more
#3 ·
The VTX came out in 2002 and comes in two flavors, 1300VTX and the 1800VTX. Mines a 1800C model.
I have a lot of billet on it and German 40L hard bags. It's great for running errands. :)

#5 ·
Still got a couple issues, engine is running fine, I have some noise I'm calling from the front wheel bearings and the drive shaft needs to be inspected and lubricated. Rode about 45 miles and it was sweet!

#8 ·
I hear that, I need to have everything running so I can sell it or load it as I'm planning on moving sometime in the future. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.