Hemi Truck Club banner

hearing protection warning

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Redtruck-VA 
#1 ·
I screwed up big time this weekend. I was around a open exhaust without hearing protection and I really hurt my hearing which has been damaged with 50 years working on ships. It was one of those things when I was just careless and knew better than to expose myself to that level of noise. But hey its just for a few minutes. Well it's been over two days and I'm for all practical purposes deaf. Being 69 years old I just might not spring back. Don't take your hearing or eye sight for granite . No one wants to give up their ride because they can't see well enough to drive. As it is I don't drive at night. Take care of yourselves, no one else will...

#2 ·
This is a point of emphasis at work. We do yearly hearing testing and they do sound studies every time there's an equipment or structure change. I shoot firearms regularly and always make sure I have my ppe on. Hearing loss is one injury that is usually permanent. Very serious stuff. Hopefully it comes back for you Greg. :prayersent:

#3 ·
Thanks for the thought, it really sux when you are watching TV and that's all you are doing is watching....

#6 ·
That sucks! You know better than that sir! At work when I use the air hammer or beat on a lot of metal all day I have nice electronic ear muffs I wear so I can hear people talk but it blocks anything over 90db I believe. They are range muffs but I figure better for work lol!

#7 ·
Yes, I do and that's what has me really pissed off at myself. Finally this afternoon I got a pop that almost hurt and I can hear with one ear. I expect the other to come around, but it may take another day or two. I hope.... :facepalm:

#8 ·
Other ear finally popped. I think I'm almost back to my normal hearing level. Semi-deaf.......
Protect your hearing it's no joke..

#10 ·
Great to hear (no pun intended) that your hearing has returned. :thumb::thumb:

#11 ·
Unfortunately it's still uncomfortable. But improving.
Thanks

#12 ·
Hope it keeps improving , i have quite a bit of loss myself.

#13 ·
Yes, it's scary when you don't know if it will improve or not. I've learned to deal with my previous loss. But this time I was deaf, no tv, no phone and limited conversation. It's slowly coming around to what it was. When you're deaf and drop a wrench or a nut it's like it disappear. Serious stuff..

#14 ·
Yes, it's scary when you don't know if it will improve or not. I've learned to deal with my previous loss. But this time I was deaf, no tv, no phone and limited conversation. It's slowly coming around to what it was. When you're deaf and drop a wrench or a nut it's like it disappear. Serious stuff..
Sh!t that happens to me already and the hearing test tech tells me I can hear everything. :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.