Hemi Truck Club banner

Got a bit of a dilemma

3K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  wolf_with_the_red_rose1969 
#1 ·
A friend of mine has a 31 ford two door sedan. Mustang front end, four link rear (c-10). All steel, 350 engine with 350 trans, Interior is mostly original but not tore up. Has all glass installed. Gas tank is mounted in rear. Totally drivable recently made a 400 mile round trip. Not painted, has two spare fenders, rust free. I believe it is about a $12k car, but I don't really know the market. He offered it to me for $10k, I really don't need another car. But like the idea of having a street rod. damn...:banghead:

#2 ·
bump

#4 ·
Yeah, I think I want it, just not sure about the market. Been out of the loop for hot rods for a very long time...

#5 ·
look underneath and in the rear fender wheels etc. If it is rust free, offer him 9K. If he wont budge 10K isn't bad for a good solid metal starting point. That being said, the chevy drivetrain needs to go, phooey. Needs a gen III hemi or stroker ford swap. A 351 Cleveland based engine would be especially cool.

#6 ·
I'm thinking along those lines, with a low ball offer to help make up my mind. Certainly don't need the car, but it has enough modern upgrades to be safe to drive and still original enough to pass as unrestored hot rod a little on the rat side. Might be fun...

#7 ·
chevy drivetrain is a bit of a bummer though

#8 ·
I don't mind running a chevy in a ford. Just plain don't like ford engines. However, If I did an engine swap it would be to a early hemi/A518. The one thing I don't like about the car is the turbo 350 doesn't have a OD. Since it is a cruiser I want good highway manners.

#9 ·
I had a 53 F100 as my 1st car is HS. Engines included 351W, 428 CJ, 351 Boss(Cleveland)

#10 ·
Well. I'm going to show up with cash to see if he'll go lower. I'm far from finished with Red, but this seems like a good opportunity.

#11 ·
Pull the drivetrain out of Red, meqasquirt it and put it in the ford. No more chrysler electronics, no more cats, no more..., think of how easy it would be :D

#12 ·
Pull the drivetrain out of Red, meqasquirt it and put it in the ford. No more chrysler electronics, no more diablosport, no more email tuning, no more cats, no more..., think of how easy it would be :D

#13 ·
No way, I love old Redtruck. I'm very close to having the tuning the way I want it. I think.... lol

#14 ·
Going to inspect the sedan around 11:00 tomorrow morning. That'll give me time to get to the bank first, before going over. A flash of cash is often very tempting.....

#15 ·
Speaking my fried with the pro built 29' sedan. He said he has Hagerty Auto Insurance and his cost only $285 a year. This seemed very cheap to me. I didn't and won't ask what he paid for his. But my guess is around $30k. I have their number and will call if and when needed. ;)

#16 ·
Went by the bank and got a pocket full of green, pretty confident I would buy the car. Got to his house where he was in the garage getting it ready to be run. He had the carburetor off and was putting another on. Fired the old girl up and pulled it out of the garage into the sun light. It was much as I remembered when I saw it last year. Drove it up to the gas station and back. It just felt awkward, everything worked as it should, but just position off enough to not be where it should be to feel natural. To suit me, everything on the car would have to be redone, requiring a complete rebuild with most of the parts replaced for a different fit and finished. it simply said, it wasn't a car for me. No magic..... end of tale..

#19 ·
Haha yes I've learned that a long time ago. It's no where as easy to gather up as it is to spend.. And of course there is that stroker somewhere in my future.. lol

#20 ·
Haha yes I've learned that a long time ago. It's no where as easy to gather up as it is to spend.. And of course there is that stroker somewhere in my future.. lol
:brows::thumb::dance:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.