Hemi Truck Club banner

Club: The "Gray" Area

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  RockyMtnXpress 
#1 ·
There is a part about this club, set in my mind, that I can't seem to get clear. Perhaps someone, say a board member, might help in definition. Could someone please explain the meaning "club" and reference it to the platform on which the HEMI Truck Club is founded on? I am NOT trying to start trouble and I figured a few forum members might like to see a reply to clarify this question (more form and more substance if you will). Please, apply your answer towards the idea of State Chapters and their officers as well. Seriously! Perhaps I have been placing too much emphasis or expectations as a Club and not enough on Forum? Or am I missing something yet?

I am sure I'll have more questions to follow...:hide:

#2 ·
Sorry Jim I may not have the answer your looking for but I'll give it a shot. When HTC was formed it was, as you may know, it was quite a bit different from what it is today. In the early days we had a lot of really active members and and there were a lot of Chapter and "Club" activities. None of us have a clue as to what happened, other than maybe the economy. Most of our early leaders were into hosting GTG's and events all around the country. We printed off flyers and cards and stuck them on windshields or gave them to every HEMI owner we ran across. When the economy tanked so did our activity. The change of ownership didn't help things any either. MrHemi was very involved with the club and its's members. We really did feel like a family, in the best sense of the word. We use to hold Chapter events here in Texas at least 4 or 5 times a year and almost always had 20 or more trucks attend. Now we're lucky if we can get 5 "families" to show up. I hosted a GTG here at my home a few weeks ago and we had 5 counting my son who isn't an active member any more. Life just got to busy for most folks to have time for any interest other than surviving.

I know that isn't the answer you were looking for, but I don't have a clue as to what we need to do to change things. It's kind of like the Truck of the Month. There use to be around a dozen every month. Now we're doing good to get anyone to enter. Because of the new format many of the old members just stopped coming. Most of the new members don't seem to have an interest in getting to know other members and being a part of the "Club". They just stop by to get ideas and opinions.

We keep hoping that when Spring comes things will turn around and people will be able to participate again. That's one of the reasons some of us talk so much about the annual HTC Rally. Almost everyone that has been able to attend one tries come back year after year. Sometimes financing doesn't allow them to come, but they let us know they would like to.
As corny as it sound we have made life long friends here, not just acquaintances. Take a look at the Florida Chapter sometimes. They have managed to keep doing what the rest of us only remember. They have cookouts, picnics, go to the track etc. There is something going on there year round. We went to Florida in June just to see old friends. Warlord and Karen drove from Louisiana to Florida last week to spend time with the Florida crew for their Christmas GTG. All it takes is people giving it a chance and making it something special...plus a little effort.

If you have any ideas or suggestions we would appreciate you sharing them. For me it's been kind of like watching an old friend die a slow death. :(

#4 ·
Yes well said Doug! I am guilty of not participating, I get busy with other projects (my 76 Vette), and I'm really terrible at trying to get to any of the GTG's. I do miss some of our "old" members that have seemed to move on, Jay was one of my favorite people here (as is Doug), and now he's moved on. I try to check in on the forum 3 or 4 times a week but not much happening in the way of new threads, sad really :sad:

#5 ·
Thanks Doug for your reply. I'll admit that I am still trying to understand the fundamentals of club and how it may or could apply to HTC. I suppose HTC doesn't go the depth as per example MCA Mustang Club of America - Ford Mustang Owners Association and yet HTC in it former days, from what I am understanding, must had been quite something. It's anyone guess as to why things are the way they are at this time. All I can say is that some wide variety of other message boards are hurting as well. I will admit participation has fallen off and responses to threads, in some of the once thriving state chapters, is next to nill...Colorado and Arizona being two of em. I do have an idea or two that may or may not amount to a hill of beans. Perhaps a thread should be started to raise the interest towards that particular subject?

BTW- I go to the website and see a Board of Directors and yet no Elected Officials. Is there Elected Officials that I am not aware of?

My apologies for not getting back sooner. Fighting my yearly viral attack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.