Hemi Truck Club banner

Anybody good with lawnmower repair?

2K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Ramsey88 
#1 ·
I've got an old Briggs & Stratton 5hp Quantum mower that's got fuel coming out of the primer bulb hole. Never worked on a mower before so I have no idea what causes this or how to fix it. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Never had that, you might want to google this- there are lots of good you tube videos on stuff like this.
Good luck!

#3 ·
I've been on Youtube & google for hours reading and watching. My eyes are fried lol. I figured out how to break down the carb and clean it out -- man that thing was FILTHY!!! :eek: Hopefully that was the problem. Can't put it back together though, all the gaskets are rotted and messed up so they'll have to be replaced. Wasn't too bad but I was hoping it had finally died for good so I could convince the wife I "need" a riding mower :coolsmiley: Oh well, maybe it'll "blow up" soon.

#5 ·
Well, got the rebuild kit in and installed. Got everything back together--new spark plug, new filter, new gaskets-- and it won't start. at all. Its 20 years old and has ALWAYS started before the fuel leak issue. If I had the money to replace it I'd chunk it in a river lol Any ideas fellas?

#6 ·
sometimes while cleaning gunked up carbs it's possible to inadvertently plug up the jet with something while wiping it down, a plugged jet won't let fuel suck out into the airstream. I would also check the coating of the plug wire, if it's that old sometimes replacing the plug can cause the wire coating to crack and short out on the guard so it won't have a spark. Good luck!

#7 ·
If you give it a real light shot of starting fluid and it pops a couple times but still doesn't start it's a fuel issue, if no pop it's a spark issue.

#8 ·
Thanks puller I'll try that. But for now I just picked up another used mower that actually works lol.

#9 ·
no problem, good luck!

#10 · (Edited)
Well, this morning I get to mowing my weeds lol with my replacement mower I got Friday and the daggum string breaks! Had to learn how to change one of those out today. By the time I get done fixing this things I'm gonna be certified lol

#11 ·
when it rains it pours lol I know the feeling lol

#12 ·
I did it! I got that pos old junk mower to run again! Cleaned the carburetor again, replaced the fuel line and cleaned out the tank. She fired up after about 10 primes. I've never done something like this before so I'm amazed I actually got it to run again. Gonna give it to my dad since I already bought another mower when this one died. Thanks for the advice fellas!

#13 ·
:thumb: awesome!

#14 ·
Good job! :thumb:

#16 ·
Spoke too soon. Went to use the replacement mower and it died on me and won't start.

#17 ·
Well Thanks to my dad I don't have to worry about fixing these stupid push mowers! He surprised me with a "Soon to be Father"s Day present...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.