Winter Traveling with Dogs...Never Again! - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > HemiTruckClub Drivers Lounge (Community Discussions)

Old 12-31-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
Jim-CO Chapter Dictator

My wife and I have access to the greatest dog sitter in the Phoenix area. She absolutely loves both our Schnauzers and her house caters to small dogs. The problem for us came when we learned that our dog sitter was going to be out of town the same time we were leaving for Colorado. Thinking this through, I figured this snafu wouldn't be so bad to take both our dogs on this trip to Colorado. I was wrong.

Finding a motel, that accepts dogs, wasn't a real problem. The Hampton Inn takes them for an additional $30.00 per pooch. Not really a bad deal as long as you're on the first level for those quick relieving duties. Which, by the way, is not really that quick. Knowing that 6:00 am puppy whine and knowing outside temperatures are somewhere between -2 and 10 degrees, with a "Little" breeze from the west, just adds to the reality of preparedness first thing in the morning. Like the necessity of sleeping with some of your clothes on...Something I learned the second and third morning. Of course I learned and adjusted, from the first morning, by having a pair of "Impatient Eyes" watch you as you stumble half asleep to dress in long underwear, wool socks, t-shirt, long sleeve knitted shirt, bluejeans, boots, jacket, gloves and a cap. Sleeping with my clothes on is not my "Forte." In fact, sleeping with my clothes on, in a bed constructed from plywood, with a flip-flopping wife and two dogs is definitively not my "Forte."

Having to wake up from four or five hours sleep is not really a problem at all in Colorado. All you really need to do is to step outside. All that cold air really revs your dogs up too. For example, being out of sync. While one is pulling on the leash, the second decides it would be trick for her to take her leash and wrap-up your legs the very moment you step out the door. Now remember you're dress for winter. Reaching down to unwrap yourself from the leash, while one is pulling like a sled dog should be listed as a new aerobic exercise. Little snots!

Once everything is in stride, you hope they are quick about doing their thing so you can step back inside the comfort of four walls. Of course this doesn't happen! One thing I have learned about being a long time dog owner...They have the entire world as their toilet and yet are very-very particular where they go. My dogs love to drag me to the ends of the earth, just so they can make their mark. My male is an explorer. Loved the idea, every morning, to walk the full length and width of the motel perimeter and down to the river just to check out that gamey smell and to add his own. By the time you make it back to the door, fumbling to find the card-key to let you back inside and unwrapping yourself from the leash once again, you realize you can't feel your face.

Designation problems with your dogs is one thing...Traveling is another! For every five hours on the road add 15 minute more if your pooch travels with you! An hour if you have two terrier breeds that don't like snow at the rest stops and yet have to bound across a foot of the white stuff to make it to a patch of turf that isn't just right for them. When they are finally ready, out come the towels, the water for a drink and a treat. Repeat every two hours and that equates to a 11 hour drive turning into a 13+ hour drive.

Never again...Not until that house is built up there...Never again.

View from Shaw Creek Rest Stop

Old 12-31-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
Jim-CO Chapter Dictator

My wife and I have access to the greatest dog sitter in the Phoenix area. She absolutely loves both our Schnauzers and her house caters to small dogs. The problem for us came when we learned that our dog sitter was going to be out of town the same time we were leaving for Colorado. Thinking this through, I figured this snafu wouldn't be so bad to take both our dogs on this trip to Colorado. I was wrong.

Finding a motel, that accepts dogs, wasn't a real problem. The Hampton Inn takes them for an additional $30.00 per pooch. Not really a bad deal as long as you're on the first level for those quick relieving duties. Which, by the way, is not really that quick. Knowing that 6:00 am puppy whine and knowing outside temperatures are somewhere between -2 and 10 degrees, with a "Little" breeze from the west, just adds to the reality of preparedness first thing in the morning. Like the necessity of sleeping with some of your clothes on...Something I learned the second and third morning. Of course I learned and adjusted, from the first morning, by having a pair of "Impatient Eyes" watch you as you stumble half asleep to dress in long underwear, wool socks, t-shirt, long sleeve knitted shirt, bluejeans, boots, jacket, gloves and a cap. Sleeping with my clothes on is not my "Forte." In fact, sleeping with my clothes on, in a bed constructed from plywood, with a flip-flopping wife and two dogs is definitively not my "Forte."

Having to wake up from four or five hours sleep is not really a problem at all in Colorado. All you really need to do is to step outside. All that cold air really revs your dogs up too. For example, being out of sync. While one is pulling on the leash, the second decides it would be trick for her to take her leash and wrap-up your legs the very moment you step out the door. Now remember you're dress for winter. Reaching down to unwrap yourself from the leash, while one is pulling like a sled dog should be listed as a new aerobic exercise. Little snots!

Once everything is in stride, you hope they are quick about doing their thing so you can step back inside the comfort of four walls. Of course this doesn't happen! One thing I have learned about being a long time dog owner...They have the entire world as their toilet and yet are very-very particular where they go. My dogs love to drag me to the ends of the earth, just so they can make their mark. My male is an explorer. Loved the idea, every morning, to walk the full length and width of the motel perimeter and down to the river just to check out that gamey smell and to add his own. By the time you make it back to the door, fumbling to find the card-key to let you back inside and unwrapping yourself from the leash once again, you realize you can't feel your face.

Designation problems with your dogs is one thing...Traveling is another! For every five hours on the road add 15 minute more if your pooch travels with you! An hour if you have two terrier breeds that don't like snow at the rest stops and yet have to bound across a foot of the white stuff to make it to a patch of turf that isn't just right for them. When they are finally ready, out come the towels, the water for a drink and a treat. Repeat every two hours and that equates to a 11 hour drive turning into a 13+ hour drive.

Never again...Not until that house is built up there...Never again.

View from Shaw Creek Rest Stop
Old 12-31-2012, 10:46 AM   #3

Garage

2006 1500 Quad Cab "Lone Star" Edition.

As a courtesy to the other drivers, this is what a HEMI looks like from the front.
dodhem06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
Thanks for sharing Jim.... That's why when we lost our last one it wasn't replaced. I want a new dog so bad, but I'm not quite ready to give up on traveling, and HTC Rallies just yet. I know it's a matter of time but hopefully my time isn't up yet. I told Mary the other day, when she ask why I didn't get me a puppy, "When you get me a wheel chair, then you can get me a puppy".

It may be closer than I want to admit. Had to go to the chiropractor this morning..hip slipped out of place. Between that and both knees going out last year really sucked.

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
Board of Directors

Garage
Well at least you remembered your room key
HTC MEMBER #2460
2005 Yellow Rumble Bee 4x4 Second Swarm #3248
2015 Peterbilt 389, 550hp Cummins ISX

AlbertaHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #6

Brings back FUN memories of me sneaking my little yorkie-poo into MANY hotels and motels while traveling. Yes, it involved boxes with holes in it being wrapped with Christmas wrap. And priceless looks on peoples faces when you check out with him in our arms. Best dog I ever had!
2006 4x4 qc, Atlantic Blue, Diablo Predator, afe high breather, Performance Research and Development Heads, 260 cam, pacesetter mids, high flow cats, Custom Y pipe, NGK 5306 Plugs, Mobile 1 synth oil, power wire, and edge billet 2600 converter, 3.92 lsd, Auto Meter A/F guage with SRT-10 A-Pillar, Alpine HU, Focal components, JL Audio 6450 Amp, JL audio 10" sub.

Birdshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
Board of Directors-Bill

Garage
Just [email protected]

arocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #8

Loved your story. Having had 4 to 5 dogs the 21 plus years we have been together, I fully understand the quirks of dogs. Fortunately the mother-in-law dog sat for us for many years but now she is not able to any more. She is 86 yrs now. We are down to 2 dogs. Mark's stubborn Pyrenean Mastiff and our Shih Tzu that will be 16 in March and is pretty deaf and totally blind. I have to carry him outside because he can't do stairs, being blind. Still, I would like another small dog. Just haven't found one yet. Gotta love the doggies!

"Hope sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible."--Anonymous

Member # 3568

Mrs.BIG BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote