Hemi Truck Club banner

Why did you choose Ram?

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Redtruck-VA 
#1 ·
Thought this would make for good conversation... Why did you buy a Ram?

#2 ·
Well, every since I was little I was a big fan of Mopars, especially the General Lee. After many years of Car Shows around the country, I wanted a HEMI. As most of you know the "Old" ones not many can afford. So when Dodge announced the return of the HEMI in the Rams I said to myself I will own one. In Nov of 2007 I was finally able to purchase one. I found the exact truck I wanted....Exterior Color, Interior Color, Wheels, and Package....a 2003 Ram 1500 "Lone Star Edition". Since the day I bought my baby I have not regretted it or looked back. She has come along way since that day. Today she is mainly used as a show truck and cruising on pretty days. She is getting ready to go under the knife again. I have no plans to sale or trade her, no matter how "cool" the new ones are.

Can't wait to here what everyone else has to say.

#3 ·
:thumb: great story, Aaron! Thanks for sharing. That's why I started this thread :)

#4 ·
Well as for me I grew up a Chevy guy. my first car was a 68 Camaro 6cyl 3speed HAHA. but it was the fastest thing back in high school. Then I got into drag racing. I found a great buy on 68 Camaro rs/ss big block 396 4speed and it went from stock to full race everything. was running low 9s for a streets car. Had to give it up got to expensive and I was getting married. any way I have had my share of cars and trucks of all makes and yrs. but my first real truck was a 70 D100 I think it was a 100? for camping. Well to shorting the story and after WAY to many Chevy transmissions we now own a 2004 4dr sport ram.black (mine),2000 Durango awd blue(wifes) son#1 has a 2004 rumble bee (yellow) and a 2007 super bee.(yellow). son#2 has a 98 jeep Cherokee dark purple. Drive way look real pretty in the sun when there all here.

#5 ·
I grew up with ford/Chevy. My wife wanted a truck so we bought a 2001 f250 s/c what a piece. She then said she wanted a 4 door so we traded to an 06 hemi ram q/c then I put a blower on it because it was to slow then gas went way up so we traded it. For a short stent we had 2 4cyls at the house and now a 5k blower and that didn't work for me. So one Sunday we went to a dodge dealer and found my lovely 2005 hemi. Well now I have a v8 and a truck and the wife has a small car wasn't working for her so she went truck nuts and found her 2003 with a rod knock on 7/8 and traded her 4cyl 4 it. Now we have a good running truck with a blower and a truck with a bad rod knock so I swapped motors for a build. Took 05/03 motors out and out 05 motor back in the 4x4 and built the 05 up to a forged 392 s/c. We know have a 2005 s/c 392 hemi ram s/c and the 2003 4x4 hemi ram. This was a well and good for awhile for Becca until she drove a 2005 charger hemi.needless to say we bought a 2013 392 superbee and love it. So now we are mopar or no car family and currently looking for an old mopar pickup to start building for Blake. Will have a hemi in it too with a blower. :thumb:

#6 ·
Dad had a 72 dodge d100 with 318 in it, I loved driving it, had a couple Chevys for towing my race car but racing got to expensive and the kids came along sold everything, went to a car show couple of years later and my friend was selling her 2004 Hemi sport I wasn't really that fussed but the wife said go and have a look, and the rest as they say is history!!!

#7 ·
Started with a '77 'yota Hi-Lux (before that was an assortment of 'yota cars). Then bought an '88 Chevy 1500 :rolleyes:. Great truck in some respects, but basically GM crap. Traded that on a Nissan Hardbody, but it was too small for all the stuff I had to haul around. Traded that on an '89 F-150, which was OK (at least it started when I twisted the key - are you listening, GM?). The Ford was a thirsty SOB, so when it got to 97K or so, I traded it on a '95 Ram Wagon 2500 (with 80K already on it). The motor got replaced in that one at 151K and it wanted a transmission at 183K :sad:. Sold it for a decent price. Found an '01 Ram RCSB at auction for $4K below market. Traded it in '07 on my current Hemi Ram. That was over six years ago. I don't pile on the miles like I used to - the Hemi has only gone 37K in that six years. While it would be nice to have a new truck, "paid for" and running just fine are incentives to stay where I am. :D :dance:

#8 ·
I have always been a GM man, and my last pickup truck was a 1988 GMC short bed step side. It was highly modified and lowered. I had to sell it in 1990, and I haven't owned a pickup truck until I purchased my Dodge Ram last December. My wife seen it on the lot and told me I should take a look. They were closed that day, so I went there the next day, and next thing I knew, I was the owner of a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Bighorn Quad Cab. I love the Detonator Yellow paint with gray interior, and the 5.7L HEMI engine.

#9 ·
Great stories guys, keep 'em coming! :thumb:

#10 ·
I'd say for the most part styling and overall satisfaction for why I bought a Ram. When the 2nd generation Dakota's came out, that was my 1st Dodge. (I traded in a Ford Aerostar--which is what I got from a divorce.) Before the Aerostar, I had a Toyota 1 ton, then Chevy 3/4, both mostly for construction work.

The Toyota was one little tough bugger, just too small. So sold it to the company after a few years. With that money, bought the Chevy (reg cab). That held up pretty good before I sold it. Another guy in the company had a Ford truck, but I never liked the way it drove.

Back to the Dakota--when it became too small-the child seat was too tight of a fit, I traded in for a Toyota Tundra. It was a good truck, but I was starting to do a lot of of construction side jobs over the weekends and summer and ended up taking multiple trips to lumber yard and dump. That 7/8 scale of a truck wasn't working. That's when I went back to Dodge and bought the '06.

I bought the '06 because of the cummins and happy that it did come w/ the dodge styling I've always liked.

That leads me to today. No longer do side jobs, and now want comfort. I don't like the Chevy/GMC look--esp the sq wheel wells, or the Ford styling of their 150. So no brainer. And Dodge/Ram have come a long way to bring quality product.

#11 · (Edited)
IT'S A H-E-M-I !!

Hi All,
Best truck for the money best engine for the money, best bang for the buck!
Besides I like Mopars, had a 65 Fury, 67 Satellite, 71 Sport Fury Gran Coupe, 76 Dart, 69 Super Bee, 78 Chrysler Lebaron, 79 Fifth Avenue, 79 Plymouth Volare cop car A36 package, 85 Duster (hated this car), 13 RAM 1500. May have forgotten one in there somewhere.

preachp

#13 ·
I grew up a Pontiac guy. My GTO's only arch rivals were Mopars. My main competition was a dude with a 69 Charger. He was a pain in my a$$. But, with age comes wisdom. My first brand new vehicle was a 95 Dakota 5 speed reg. cab. i loved that truck. I haven't looked back since. i have only owned Mopar since. 7 in all so far. But my 03 Beast is my favorite. I love the big rig look of it and the muscle of the stock 5.7 was impressive. Now that its been rebuilt and moded I am even more happy with it. If I could only do something about the MPG I would be even happier. :thumb::auto:

#14 ·
I was commuting really long distances for work. Bought a Caravan for just that propose which didn't pull my Motorcycle trailer very well. Put a ton of miles on that old girl. Trans was ready to die and was looking for a pickup. Saw Redtruck listed at a dealer about 100 miles away, the following weekend I jumped on my bike and headed that way not really sure how to get there. Strangely I rode straight to the dealer and Red was sitting in the front row. It was a Sunday and no one was around. The following week I called getting details. Told them the price was great but the deal would depend on what they could give me for the Caravan. Went back and forth some and we couldn't agree on the numbers. I went on vacation for a couple weeks and when I got back I called them back and made one last offer wanting them to guarantee a price for my old Caravan sight unseen. Surprisingly they gave me what I asked. Told them I'd be there in the morning to close the deal and pick up the truck. The trans gave up rolling down the last hill into town with the old van finally rolled into the lot next to the show room. Introduced myself, looked the truck over. It showed 649 miles on the odometer. Told them to pull the plates off the van and signed the papers, took a total of about 15 minutes. I bought the truck for just over half of the window sticker price. I'm still amazed at the deal and have never figured out how they came to agree to this deal as they gave me an additional $2500 for the now smoking van. The really spooky part came at the end when I went to leave it looked like the entire dealership lined up at the windows and watched me drive away. Very strange deal, apparently I was meant to have this specific truck. I have worn out a few vehicles just from taking them apart and putting them back together. Old Red will be one of them.... :)

#15 ·
Made out like a bandit, eh Greg? :thumb:

#17 ·
I truly believe I stole this truck. I was ready to walk away at any point until I got to the dealer and my van was broken and needed a ride to get home LOL.....

#16 ·
Wow...great stories. Here's mine.

It all started in 2009 when I was out looking for a new vehicle. I went to my local Chrysler dealership to look at SUV's. My buddy who was the salesman told me he had a 2009 Laramie he could give me a good deal on. I told him no thanks and he asked me why. I told him I was never a fan of trucks because of the way they rode. Too bouncy for me. He threw me the keys and said humor me. You won't be disappointed. So just to get him off my back about the Ram I took it out for a test drive. The first thing I noticed was the power and torque! I looked at my wife and smiled! Then I noticed the ride. I couldn't believe how nice and smooth it was.
When I got back from the test drive I had a big smile on my face. This is when I found out that Dodge had switched out the springs with coils and that was the reason it rode so smoothly. I signed the papers and took the truck home. To this day I always thank my buddy for pretty much forcing me to take that truck for a test drive!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.