Who Spent Their Teenage Years Driving Aimlessly Around? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > HemiTruckClub Drivers Lounge (Community Discussions)

Old 12-04-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
Jim-CO Chapter Dictator

I did! I just finished reading the article Why are US teenagers driving less? Many excellent points, in the article, regarding the reasons US teens prefer Facebook, or other social electronic means, over driving to see their friends face to face. Thinking about it, if I was 18 today I would probably do the same thing. Finding a job that pays minimum wage and shoveling it out as fast just to keep the motor running in gas, maintenance and insurance is discouraging. Little wonder why young people today have a different attitude towards life.

Another excellent point it makes it working on the car of today. It requires so much expense and in some instances special equipment just to “mod” them up a little (engine work or graphics). Practically every time I go and show my 68 <begin whisper> <sub>Mustang</sub> <end whisper> I get the comment, from a young person, that it must had been great to live those days and drive cars like mine. Of course my canned replied is, “Those days are gone my young friend…<sub>Those days are gone…</sub>”

Old 12-04-2011, 08:27 AM   #2
Jim-CO Chapter Dictator

I did! I just finished reading the article Why are US teenagers driving less? Many excellent points, in the article, regarding the reasons US teens prefer Facebook, or other social electronic means, over driving to see their friends face to face. Thinking about it, if I was 18 today I would probably do the same thing. Finding a job that pays minimum wage and shoveling it out as fast just to keep the motor running in gas, maintenance and insurance is discouraging. Little wonder why young people today have a different attitude towards life.

Another excellent point it makes it working on the car of today. It requires so much expense and in some instances special equipment just to “mod” them up a little (engine work or graphics). Practically every time I go and show my 68 &lt;begin whisper&gt; <sub>Mustang</sub> &lt;end whisper&gt; I get the comment, from a young person, that it must had been great to live those days and drive cars like mine. Of course my canned replied is, “Those days are gone my young friend…<sub>Those days are gone…</sub>”
Old 12-04-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
"Bob"

Garage
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #4
Board of Directors

Garage
I did too. Cruising the hamburger stands was a popular activity when I was a teenager back in the 1960s. Just like in American Graffiti.
'05 RCSB 1500 SLT 5.7 Hemi Ram - Airaid Long Snorkel UBI CAI - Taylor shorty wires - MSD Coil Packs – Magnaflow y-pipe - Flowmaster 50HD - Superchips 3865 - Motive 4.56 gears - Detroit Truetrac - PML differential cover – some good Karma 8.87 ET
HemiByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
Board of Directors (Jay)

2003, Std. SWB, SLT, 20", 4:56 gear, AFE CAI, Superchip, 6.1 cam, 6.1 heads, Manley springs, retainers, pushrods, Edelbrock Hedders, 195 T-Stat, 8.2 Taylor, AEM, Power Wire, ARC-1,Amsoil Everything, and more. Veni Vidi Vici

HTC.com Titan Killer Club

Member # 17

Superjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
Jim-CO Chapter Dictator

Quote:
Originally posted by HemiByrd:
I did too. Cruising the hamburger stands was a popular activity when I was a teenager back in the 1960s. Just like in American Graffiti.
My cruising days were in the 70s. Oh what fun I had! There wasn't a Friday or Saturday night I missed unless it fell on some holiday or I was at "death's door" with some cruddy little virus. Central, main drag in Phoenix, offered many hangouts. Mine was Arby's. They had outdoor seating and we (my cruising buddies) would sit, munch on something, and check out the local rides. Of course, it wasn't all about just the rides. Heh-heh...There was always the girls. Hmmmmmm...Then city ordinances came in effect and things changed. Today Central runs under the get rich scheme of some "promoter" twice a year. It attracts literally thousands and yet has loss an appeal for me to attend in my 68. Too many changes with having to pay to park in the designated spots, no Arby's, light-rail going down the big middle, etc., etc. I miss my cruising days!
Old 12-04-2011, 02:41 PM   #7
Board of Directors

Garage
My main hangout was Shoney's Eastgate in Memphis around 1964-1967. Seems like every hot car in town would cruise through there. Saw my first Street Hemi and my first Dodge Coronet R/T 440 there. Guys would leave with their entourages to see who had the faster car. The winner would always come back first and the loser later...if at all. There was one guy who had a 1932 Ford Highboy Roadster with a blown 392 Hemi, a 4 speed, and huge rear tires. He had a big clip mounted on the dash where he would put a $50 bill and tell whoever was riding with him they could have it if they could get to it before he got into 3rd gear. To my knowledge nobody ever was able to.
'05 RCSB 1500 SLT 5.7 Hemi Ram - Airaid Long Snorkel UBI CAI - Taylor shorty wires - MSD Coil Packs – Magnaflow y-pipe - Flowmaster 50HD - Superchips 3865 - Motive 4.56 gears - Detroit Truetrac - PML differential cover – some good Karma 8.87 ET
Old 12-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #8
Greg

Garage
Oh back in the day...
At one point in time the chevy 409 ruled. One night in late 64' I witness the death of the 409 just north of Santa Cruz. It was in a absolutely bitchen 62 impala belair (pontiac roof). The new 396 just came out in 65'. I hadn't seen one before and figured the modified 409 truck motor would eat it. Wrong, I was near the traps and the 396 sounded like a small block winding through the gears. The 409 engine let go at the top of 2nd with a great spash of fire under her. Oh back in the day....

1956 Jeep Pickup Hemi powered "Street Rod project"

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #9
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
Ah thew good old days!! It was tough buying gas even at $.19 a gallon. Working at a dairy before and after school didn't leave a lot of time, but it did pay for gas and the week ends. We didn't know that you didn't have to work to enjoy life.

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #10
Board of Directors

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Redtruck-VA:
Oh back in the day...
At one point in time the chevy 409 ruled. One night in late 64' I witness the death of the 409 just north of Santa Cruz. It was in a absolutely bitchen 62 impala belair (pontiac roof). The new 396 just came out in 65'. I hadn't seen one before and figured the modified 409 truck motor would eat it. Wrong, I was near the traps and the 396 sounded like a small block winding through the gears. The 409 engine let go at the top of 2nd with a great spash of fire under her. Oh back in the day....
I remember when Chevy came out with the 396 in 1965 I was talking to a guy at high school about it. He said "you mean Chevy is replacing the 409 with a smaller motor? That's dumb!" When I told him the 396 makes more power than the 409 he said that was impossible because a smaller motor can't make more power than a bigger one. I tried to explain volumetric efficiency to him and it was all Greek to him. I couldn't confuse him with the facts because his mind was made up. Of couse when the 427 came out he had no argument for that.

One of the most amazing cars back in the day was the Z-28 with the cross-ram dual quad manifold 302. Those things were awesome. 9000 rpm was no sweat with them. At the drag strip the car in the other lane would already be in 2nd and the Z-28 would still be winding out first. Those were heady times.