What would you do? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HemiTruckClub Community Forums > HemiTruckClub Drivers Lounge (Community Discussions)

Old 01-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #1

After 5 years I think I am ready to put my Hemi to pasture. It's getting to the point to where the repairs it needs can make a nice down payment. I need new tires, the evap canister replaced, the dash has two big cracks, there's two wear holes in my driver seat, the blend door needs fixed, and new spark plugs.(I've done them twice, I'm not willing to do them again. )

Initially I was thinking about a Suburban, then a friend opened my eyes to the Expedition EL. I'm not really partial to either brand to be honest. If Dodge had a full size SUV, I would jump on it in a heart beat though. So anyway, I'm was initially looking for a used example, and was coming up with this. Suburbans seem to run in the low $30K range for an '08 or '09 with mileage in the 50-60K mile range. Used Expeditions seem to run in the low $30K range with a 20-30K mile range. Another option that has come to light is from a website called truecar.com. They take what you want and got offers from participating dealers. The offers I've gotten are for a new '11 for about $35K-$36K because there are pretty aggressive incentives on the 2011's. The sticker price on the new ones is in the $45K range.

What makes the most sense? Even if I increase my budget to $35K for a used Suburban, I can only find an '10 or '11 with about 40K-50K miles. Would it be worth it to spend the extra $3K-$5K for a new Expedition vs. the less expensive used '10 or '11 Expedition? I'm probably going to test drive an Expedition this weekend but it will be about a month before I buy because I'm going to see what I net from Uncle Sam for a down payment, and I want to drive a Suburban.

Here's a picture of her in her prime.

His: 2012 Tornado Red Jetta TDI

Hers: 2007 Jetta GLI Fahrenheit #638/1200

askibum02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #2

After 5 years I think I am ready to put my Hemi to pasture. It's getting to the point to where the repairs it needs can make a nice down payment. I need new tires, the evap canister replaced, the dash has two big cracks, there's two wear holes in my driver seat, the blend door needs fixed, and new spark plugs.(I've done them twice, I'm not willing to do them again. )

Initially I was thinking about a Suburban, then a friend opened my eyes to the Expedition EL. I'm not really partial to either brand to be honest. If Dodge had a full size SUV, I would jump on it in a heart beat though. So anyway, I'm was initially looking for a used example, and was coming up with this. Suburbans seem to run in the low $30K range for an '08 or '09 with mileage in the 50-60K mile range. Used Expeditions seem to run in the low $30K range with a 20-30K mile range. Another option that has come to light is from a website called truecar.com. They take what you want and got offers from participating dealers. The offers I've gotten are for a new '11 for about $35K-$36K because there are pretty aggressive incentives on the 2011's. The sticker price on the new ones is in the $45K range.

What makes the most sense? Even if I increase my budget to $35K for a used Suburban, I can only find an '10 or '11 with about 40K-50K miles. Would it be worth it to spend the extra $3K-$5K for a new Expedition vs. the less expensive used '10 or '11 Expedition? I'm probably going to test drive an Expedition this weekend but it will be about a month before I buy because I'm going to see what I net from Uncle Sam for a down payment, and I want to drive a Suburban.

Here's a picture of her in her prime.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #3

Garage
Hate to see you have get away from Dodge. However, all I can say is to buy the best you can afford. If you buy brand new with like equipment I would say the additional 15% would be worth it as long as it fits your budget. Budgets that are stretched are sometimes hard to live with long term.

http://www.hemitruckclub.com/attachm...epic3972_3.gif
ROLLING THUNDER is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
Retired BOD - Doug

Garage
We have to do what's best for the family. Not knowing why you need a full sized SUV it's hard to recommend anything. We are on our second Grand Cherokee and couldn't be more happy. Tried a Edge and it wasn't any good at all. There are some really good deals on 2011 CG if you can find one that is equipped with what you want.

RANCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
Farrrrrr East Coast

Garage
what about the durango

NewfieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
Farrrrrr East Coast

Garage
according to dodge website a new durango r/t is 36k

NewfieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
Director Emeritus

Garage
2009 Ram 5.7 HEMI QC 4X4 Laramie - bone stock for now

MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by NewfieBullet:
what about the durango
x2 and a lot better looking and available 3rd row.

[COLOR:RED]2011 HTC NASCAR Champion[/COLOR]

raceram9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #9

I thought about the Durango, but after driving a full size truck for the past 5 years, I don't think I can go back to a smaller vehicle. Plus the Durango's 3rd row only fits 2, and it's a lot more cramped. I need to be able to fit 6 comfortably and still have room for a large kennel in the back for the dogs. I haven't actually driven one yet, so maybe I will put that on my list of things to do this weekend.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:19 AM   #10

Garage
how many miles on the hemi?
she is knocking on 99k with yes a few $$$$ spent last year and a few more $$$$ to spend this year but...........it's been paid for for a while.
and a $500-$900 payment just does not make sense to us right now.
course some folks just like to drive new
and your talking about buying used?
50k on a vehicle you know NOTHING about ?
I apologize for this but i don't understand your logic.

2013 Ram 1500 SLT Crew Cab 4x4 Big Horn True Blue Pearl, Amsoil, Re-trax, Bedrug
2003 4x4 LB QC CAI, SC, Amsoil, Shorties, LED tails. GONE but never forgotten.

Member # 1450
nopeitsherhemi is offline   Reply With Quote